The Queen of the South thread

Mark millar is playing at being a footballer total waste of a talented player he looks a good stone overweight from them highlights ....needs to get a grip cause there is a great central midfielder in there somewhere....chris mitchill as well never really got a proper chance with us apart from the famous goal it's a shame cause his career has been destroyed by injuries

Totally agree.

I said before the quarter final that given the choice, I'd have taken victory in that tie over pipping Falkirk to a play-off spot.

The way that whole occasion fell flat due to a combination of its timing, the small crowd, the conditions and chiefly of course, our poor performance, meant it was a big let down.

In some ways, it raised the stakes for the League as the other exciting path had been closed.

Missing out on both will be sore, should it happen.

Actually watched the cup game again tonight ....till the wife switched it off ...hideous game nothing in it but no matter what Houston said sibbald meant that header....Palmerston is a traditional scottish ground like brockville shame we lost ours

Mark millar is playing at being a footballer total waste of a talented player he looks a good stone overweight from them highlights ....needs to get a grip cause there is a great central midfielder in there somewhere....chris mitchill as well never really got a proper chance with us apart from the famous goal it's a shame cause his career has been destroyed by injuries

Millar has been one of our best players over the past few weeks. A class apart against Rangers, hopefully a proper summer can make him fitter. A really talented player and he's only 27 so there is still time for him to hopefully turn it around.

Another aspect that does nothing to raise my mood is goal difference.

Up to now, that situation has felt like an extra point in our battle with Falkirk. The difference between us still stands at ten, but if results in the handful of games left between our meeting, go as expected, it's quite likely that that gap will have closed or even gone into the other direction by then.

I still think we need to do something unlikely like win in Edinburgh during the next week. However, it's probably pretty important that we don't get any absolute hammerings either.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I'm not sure why you've posted the above as a counter to what I was saying. I wouldn't see a 5th place finish as failure either, which is why I very explicitly said it would only feel that way because we've spent most of the season better off. Like you, I've said it would therefore now be a disappointment. My case has merely been to challenge the apparently wildly popular view that finishing 5th would mean we'd been "very successful".

Apologies, didn't mean to infer it as a counter to your post, just expressing my views on the matter, which are probably not that distant from yours. My point really was that I feel we have done exceptionally well to have been up there so long but part of the reason for that was the lack of the expected challenge from Falkirk and, to a lesser extent Raith Rovers, in the first half of the season. Since Falkirk, a bigger club as you say, have put together a good run and are hard on our heels, it may now be giving a more realistic view of where we should be at the end of the season. If we can hang on to the play-off spot it would be fantastic, but if we were to finish next in line to the four biggest clubs I would not deem the season to have been a failure.

Apologies, didn't mean to infer it as a counter to your post, just expressing my views on the matter, which are probably not that distant from yours. My point really was that I feel we have done exceptionally well to have been up there so long but part of the reason for that was the lack of the expected challenge from Falkirk and, to a lesser extent Raith Rovers, in the first half of the season. Since Falkirk, a bigger club as you say, have put together a good run and are hard on our heels, it may now be giving a more realistic view of where we should be at the end of the season. If we can hang on to the play-off spot it would be fantastic, but if we were to finish next in line to the four biggest clubs I would not deem the season to have been a failure.

Yes, fair enough.

I think we are pretty much in agreement.

Millar has been one of our best players over the past few weeks. A class apart against Rangers, hopefully a proper summer can make him fitter. A really talented player and he's only 27 so there is still time for him to hopefully turn it around.

Agree he has had an increasing influence as the games have gone by and his fitness has improved albeit there is a way to go there. The risk of course is that he comes back post summer totally unfit again.

A real talent though and worth the risk.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

QUEEN OF THE SOUTH striker Derek Lyle is not daunted by the Doonhamers' next four games - because he insists they have been punching above their weight all season.

Statements like the above just turn off locals from going to Palmerston.

I don't like the narrative that says a Queens side in the middle of the second tier is punching above its weight. It bugs me when ignorant Falkirk, Dundee or Morton fans do it.

It bugs me more when our own fans or even players do it.

Has anyone actually read the entire story, or are we just castigating Lyle based on a snippet written by a journalist? I seem to recall something similar happened not that long ago with Fowler.

Has anyone actually read the entire story, or are we just castigating Lyle based on a snippet written by a journalist? I seem to recall something similar happened not that long ago with Fowler.

Yes agree let's not pick on journalism the likes of Del & the other players are 100% QoS lets get behind the players and staff at this important time.

Yes agree let's not pick on journalism the likes of Del & the other players are 100% QoS lets get behind the players and staff at this important time.

You're possibly right about the article in question, but your posting style is now becoming a parody of itself.

Dear me, bit touchy tonight, arent we?

No I'm fine.

Today's results went better for us than I'd anticipated, although Raith are starting to concern me.

My point about the perception that we're overachieving, just didn't need to be greeted so childishly - that's all.

No I'm fine. Today's results went better for us than I'd anticipated, although Raith are starting to concern me. My point about the perception that we're overachieving, just didn't need to be greeted so childishly - that's all.

I wasnt being childish. You spend a lot of time on here telling us what you dont like. I was genuinely curious to find out what you do like