The Queen of the South thread

Guest TOPFITTER

Call me old fashioned but what would be wrong with a pre-season training week on the beach at Southerness or Sandy Hills!

Nothing at all, same argument could be used for in-season training but we all know the well worn answers to that one, not enough talent down here and not attractive to Central Belt Based Messi's ;) However, I myself would rather train in 30 degree Spanish sunshine than 13 degree wind and rain at Dhoon Beach

Edited by TOPFITTER

Call me old fashioned but what would be wrong with a pre-season training week on the beach at Southerness or Sandy Hills!

Because that would serve no purpose to the players, how many sandy hills do they run up during a game? As such why would you train them in that way? We done it last year and it was embarrassing.

Alloa at home first game should be good test see how the team is shaping up.

First game last season was Alloa at home! And an early game v Livi! All we need now is to be drawn against Livi in the cup and it's last season all over again!

3 winnable games to start the season with it seems on paper. Alloa could be much improved though with Danny Lennon in charge. Have heard that Barrie McKay on loan from Rangers is a possibility aswell. He would be a good signing imo as he will give the team some much needed pace.

First game last season was Alloa at home! And an early game v Livi! All we need now is to be drawn against Livi in the cup and it's last season all over again!

I think we'd all settle for a repeat of last season!

We also face a similarly tough run to last season after the turn of the year -

Raith (A)

St Mirren (H)

The Rangers (H)

Falkirk (A)

Hibernian (H)

The next game after that is away to Morton though, so our traditional guaranteed 3 points might be more than welcome.

Went on line to buy season ticket today only to find it would cost me an xtra £6.50! The club tempted me to buy online early by advertising a prize draw for one free ticket if bought online within 7 days didnt mention xtra cost tho! Well me thinks am just gonna pay at the gate instead???? come on give the fans a little hope.

3 winnable games to start the season with it seems on paper. Alloa could be much improved though with Danny Lennon in charge. Have heard that Barrie McKay on loan from Rangers is a possibility aswell. He would be a good signing imo as he will give the team some much needed pace.

He is terrible...just saying

Good start to season where we can get points on board. Seeing fixtures has just made it more clear how tough this league is going to be. So a good start is imperative especially with a youngish squad like we're going to have.

Barrie McKay...no thanks

Because that would serve no purpose to the players, how many sandy hills do they run up during a game? As such why would you train them in that way? We done it last year and it was embarrassing.

It would save money which could be put into the squad budget.

Maybe you're right though they'd be better off train in La Manga in the searing heat to get them used to playing in the Scottish climate. Is it just the playing staff and coaches that are making the trip?

Yeah and what wouldn't we all give to have a season like last year, but I don't expect it to happen. Early points on the board or it could be a long painful season. As long as we don't finish lower than eighth.

It would save money which could be put into the squad budget. Maybe you're right though they'd be better off train in La Manga in the searing heat to get them used to playing in the Scottish climate. Is it just the playing staff and coaches that are making the trip?

An alternative positive spin you could put on it is that if the club always pay for the players to go abroad every year (something I was unaware of), a pre-season training camp at a high class facility used by the world's top teams is a far better use of funds than a post-season beach holiday.

£40k seems reasonable considering he's only been with us 3 years.

It's good to see we've been able to successfully negotiate compensation with United who always seem to be a professionally run club.

Their neighbours could do with taking a leaf out of their book.

Edited by palmy_cammy