The Queen of the South thread

Looks like Jacobs isn't signing for us after all. Pretty disappointed, would have been a good addition to the squad.
Same club as Ngoo and Oliver
Looks like money talks at least when you spend it.

Rather liking Fowler's strategy of signing hungry young players on the way up rather than ageing journeymen on the way down. I have a feeling that Fowler has done his homework, is assembling a vibrant young team and is firmly en route to establishing himself as one of the most promising young managers in the Scottish game.

If the username wasn't there, I'd have assumed this was a Supersouth post.

I hope this optimism isn't as groundless as it really might prove to be.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Fowler backed out of the Ngoo signing because of wage demands and an other target became available, Dale Hilson, he was offered a contract from Forar and looked set to sign up again but when that didn't materialise Fowler went in for him. And I wasn't the only one who was wrong about Oliver. Jacobs apparently going to another championship club, didn't get told who but my guess (which is only a guess) is Raith.

The signs are certainly promising.

Considering he started last season as a signed player with minimal coaching experience, and ended it a very successful manager carrying out the vast majority of duties himself, he has done incredibly well. Hopefully the loss of key players will be offset by him being a year more experienced and having Skelton alongside him to share the burden. The style of football he has us playing, and the ease that we have been able to alternate between different system flawlessly, are probably the biggest strings to his bow.

My biggest concern going into the new season is that he will follow the path of his predecessors and jump ship to the first Premiership job that becomes available. The fact Kilmarnock are very strong candidates to be looking for a manager early doors only adds to this concern.

Steady Cammy.

Fowler did fine last season with an inherited squad.

I think that the anxiety about him being poached due to his brilliance, is a bit premature.

Steady Cammy.Fowler did fine last season with an inherited squad.I think that the anxiety about him being poached due to his brilliance, is a bit premature.

Jim McIntyre is proof positive that brilliance isn't a prerequisite to being poached.

Fowler has arguably achieved as much with us already than his predecessor and probably more than Johnston. If we start the season well despite having our squad ravaged (tabloidesque hyperbole) he'll be in demand without a doubt.

Jim McIntyre is proof positive that brilliance isn't a prerequisite to being poached.

Fowler has arguably achieved as much with us already than his predecessor and probably more than Johnston. If we start the season well despite having our squad ravaged (tabloidesque hyperbole) he'll be in demand without a doubt.

I think he needs another season before teams start thinking about poaching him. He had a great season last year, if he equals what he did last year this, then we have some manager on our hands. I'll be quite happy if we're up there battling for it after changes we've had and obviously the unproven youth we've signed.

Quite intrigued with the signing of Hilson. Pretty decent scoring record, still only 22 and supposed to be very fast. Hopefully Jacobs follows.

What positions do people still want to see filled in the squad? Right wing we seem to be lacking. Really depends on which formation fowler wants to play. Like to see a right creative player in the middle of the park as well, then I'd be more than happy with our options.

Fowler backed out of the Ngoo signing because of wage demands and an other target became available, Dale Hilson, he was offered a contract from Forar and looked set to sign up again but when that didn't materialise Fowler went in for him. And I wasn't the only one who was wrong about Oliver. Jacobs apparently going to another championship club, didn't get told who but my guess (which is only a guess) is Raith.

There is absolutely no chance we didn't offer one of our best players a contract. If Hilson wanted to go full time we weren't going to stand in his way but if he couldn't get a FT side then he would have more than likely signed up again at Forfar, even if he had other part time offers.

All the best to him though, deserves his shot at a higher league! Best played up front but does well out wide too. He can be anonymous at times but can pop up with a goal out of nothing.

Edited by fafc1885

I think Fowler has proven that he is a decent manager. He was thrown in the deep end with a squad spread thin with injuries and lost 2 players mid season. With a bit of luck we could have reached the Scottish Cup semi final and possibly the final.

This season will be tougher but if we get to the play offs then I don't think we could keep him.

Guest Flash

Not only McIntyre - the best example was Chisholm.

I think other clubs over estimate their ability because they think "Wow. If he can achieve that with those diddies, imagine what he'll be able to do for us."

They don't seem to take any account of small matters like Chisholm being given a relative fortune to spend and McIntyre inheriting a team that more or less picked itself - something it took him about 5 months to realise.

As you say, if we start well, Fowler will be off. In his case, if it happens after he has rebuilt the team, it will be deserved.

Looks like money talks at least when you spend it.

I think the point is that Shampoo has a track record of making stuff up.

Uh-huh.

Well fair enough with the first point - Chisholm is surely the best example of the phenomenon. (Edit to add that I've just noticed the same point from Flash)

However, I'm not accepting that Fowler's achieved more at Queens than Johnston did.

I like Fowler fine. I think he's done quite well so far, but that's all.

Surely no jury can return with a verdict on him until we get a decent view of how the side he's compiling, performs.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

Not only McIntyre - the best example was Chisholm.

I think other clubs over estimate their ability because they think "Wow. If he can achieve that with those diddies, imagine what he'll be able to do for us."

They don't seem to take any account of small matters like Chisholm being given a relative fortune to spend and McIntyre inheriting a team that more or less picked itself - something it took him about 5 months to realise.

The view that for us to knock about in the middle of the second tier represents some huge over achievement which can only be evidence of managerial genius, seems remarkably resilient; even though we've spent much of the last decade in just that territory.

I would be shocked if we were in for him.