The Queen of the South thread

Whilst agreeing with a lot of JTulip's ideas listed above, I think the first priority to entice people to come to watch Queens is to make the product on the park more enjoyable, I would hazard a guess that that is the main reason for numbers dropping. Over-zealous policing/stewarding, poor catering facilities, poor toilet facilities, the "young team" being picked on, the opposing view of the "young teams" behaviour, all have been cited as reasons for the decline in support, and all are probable contributory reasons but what use are the best of facilities if your not enjoying the actual football on show. Like a lot of other supporters I try to get to every game home or away but must admit that there is an increasing lack of enthusiasm to try and get to some away games now because I think the philosophy of the management is to try and not lose games rather than go out to try to win them.

Is Lyle out for a few weeks.Really need to get someone in on loan just can,t see where the goals will come from.

Don't think he's been assessed yet. Think they were going to check him after 48 hours. Edited by RUSTY1111

Can russel play up front on his own with a five man midfield? Wide men provide support

Not sure why Russell didn't play there on Sunday instead of going wide when Lyle went off and Pickard going thru the middle, well for a short time anyway?

Not sure why Russell didn't play there on Sunday instead of going wide when Lyle went off and Pickard going thru the middle, well for a short time anyway?

Here is a summary of how I saw the various changes on Sunday.

First 25 minutes Pickard and Lyle up front.

25 mins to 32 mins, Lyle up front on his own, Pickard in midfield.

32 mins, Lyle replaced by Russell due to injury, Russell up front on his own.

Second half

45 mins to 70 mins, Pickard up front on his own, Russell on left, Conroy in middle after being mainly on right in first half.

70 mins, Oliver replaced Millar, Pickard moved back into midfield, Oliver and Russell up front. Conroy on left, Harris on right.

83 mins, Smith replaced Harris, Oliver moved to the right, Smith and Russell up front.

The impression we left with was that Queens had a real go. But the attempts at goal were skewed towards the last 20 minutes. We had 7 attempts in the first 70 mins and 6 in the last 20. Similarly corners - 4 in the first 70 mins, 5 in the last 20 mins.

Overall, we played a total of 45 mins with one striker and 45 mins with two. We had 4 attempts at goal when playing with one striker and 9 attempts when playing with two.

My view is that if playing with one striker is designed to get goals, why do a lot of managers change it to two strikers after going behind? I think we should have played the whole game like the last 20 minutes. Of course, maybe that would have been impossible, or maybe we would have ended up getting thrashed. But we lost anyway.

Don't expect us to start on Saturday like we finished on Sunday. It'll be back to trying to grind out a point, I think. Or try to score first and defend for the remainder.

Second half

45 mins to 70 mins, Pickard up front on his own, Russell on left, Conroy in middle after being mainly on right in first half.

70 mins, Oliver replaced Millar, Pickard moved back into midfield, Oliver and Russell up front. Conroy on left, Harris on right.

83 mins, Smith replaced Harris, Oliver moved to the right, Smith and Russell up front.

The impression we left with was that Queens had a real go. But the attempts at goal were skewed towards the last 20 minutes. We had 7 attempts in the first 70 mins and 6 in the last 20. Similarly corners - 4 in the first 70 mins, 5 in the last 20 mins.

Overall, we played a total of 45 mins with one striker and 45 mins with two. We had 4 attempts at goal when playing with one striker and 9 attempts when playing with two.

My view is that if playing with one striker is designed to get goals, why do a lot of managers change it to two strikers after going behind? I think we should have played the whole game like the last 20 minutes. Of course, maybe that would have been impossible, or maybe we would have ended up getting thrashed. But we lost anyway.

Don't expect us to start on Saturday like we finished on Sunday. It'll be back to trying to grind out a point, I think. Or try to score first and defend for the remainder.

A very good analysis of the match. Extremely well done...

Second half

Did Pickard do much ? (In any of his positions)

Did Pickard do much ? (In any of his positions)

He puts himself about but is slower than a week in the jail and never ever looks like scoring. He did brilliantly to nutmeg Kiernan to get his chance but instead of a little bit of guile and finding the far corner he just toe poked it straight at the keeper. Fowler now looks as if he is going to shunt him about pillar to post just as long as he is on the park.

He puts himself about but is slower than a week in the jail and never ever looks like scoring. He did brilliantly to nutmeg Kiernan to get his chance but instead of a little bit of guile and finding the far corner he just toe poked it straight at the keeper. Fowler now looks as if he is going to shunt him about pillar to post just as long as he is on the park.

Doesn't sound like the correct thing to do...

I agree with Flash I personally hate one player up top and unless you have loads of mobility in the forward areas it makes it very tough to dominate games, create chances and score a decent quota of goals. It is no coincidence that by favouring one player up front we have struggled to score goals. Last season we invariably played Lyle and Reilly in a partnership up front and both players scored 15+ each.

For me we leave Lyle isolated up on his own far too much and given his lack of pace he simply doesnt have runners getting ahead of the ball in dangerous areas.

When you compare our midfield players with teams like Hibs and Rangers who have been scoring for fun - the biggest single difference is these teams have midfield players whose main preoccupation is to create/score goals. They all seem hungry to attack and be creative. Our midfield players look to "keep the shape" , get back behind the ball, and generally fulfill a holding role. If we are to achieve 4th place ( something that is well within our grasp) we need to start scoring goals and to do that we need the manager and his players to be braver in the final third and the midfield in particular need to start getting ahead of the ball from time to time.