The Queen of the South thread

I thought Pickard did more than Russell tbh. The boy at least attempted to win headers and did on a few occasions. He put himself about and clearly got certain Hibs players rattled. Russell was more interested in trying to win cheap free kicks.

That's all Pickard looks capable of I'm afraid, he gets stuck in but that's not enough for me and most others. If Fowler persists with Pickard when Hilson and Lyle are fully fit I will officially write off our top 4 chances.

That's all Pickard looks capable of I'm afraid, he gets stuck in but that's not enough for me and most others. If Fowler persists with Pickard when Hilson and Lyle are fully fit I will officially write off our top 4 chances.

There were times yesterday where I actually thought if Russell and him were in tune together, his flick ons would have caused Hibs a lot of bother. Too often though Pickard won a flick on and Russell went in the opposite direction.

I agree that he doesn't look likely to be a goalscorer, but if he built up a working understanding with another striker I reckon he could be useful in that role.

For me this season will fizzle out, even if we reach the playoffs. I would be more than happy seeing Pickard given time to develop in that role if it meant he picked up a few tips for next season and came into a game next year. We can't expect youngsters to develop on the bench or come straight into the first team and hit the ground running.

McShane is probably the best example of what persistence with a youngster can do.

Edited by 19QOS19

I really do think centre back would be an ideal role for Pickard. He lacks the pace and intelligence to play further forward, but at centre back he has imo the attributes to cope

Unless the ball went over the top :P As I've said previously, the best game I ever watched him in was him playing the holding role. It was for the dev team right enough but he was head and shoulders above everyone that day.

I think someone needs to take charge of Pickard and assign him a role so he can develop in that position. Moving him about from position to position won't be doing him any good.

I totally agree with you Cammy. Folk are forgetting he's 18 year old, he's done a good job since he came in. Just wish he had couple more yards of pace then we'd have a cracking player on our hands, it's his only downfall.

Can't believe how many folk are greeting. Since turn of the year we've turned a corner and not played that bad at all bar second half on Saturday. This season was always going to be hard but I certainly see the makings of a decent side. There are positions we definitely need someone but Rome wasn't built in a day.

Edited by NM_1919

Who's he actually signed that has been terrible? Heffernan? Personally don't rate Oliver but the rest I think have a done a job.

I'm impressed you feel you've seen him enough to form an opinion :P

Seriously though, the guy has featured 10 times for us and has only started up front 5 times. Five. The most amount of games he has been given in a row is 3. What was Fowler expecting?!

It's actually an utter joke. Why spend/waste money on a striker if you don't give the guy a shot. £5,000 is a fair chunk of money for a club our size and I'm pretty peeved that Fowler has wasted it. That's not a reflection on Oliver, more than Fowler has fluttered it away and for what? If he didn't think Oliver was good enough or wouldn't fit into his plans, why the hell spend money on him?

For me a striker needs a run of games before they start being effective. I've seen nothing from our forwards that makes me think it's understandable to see why Oliver hasn't been given a shot. With Lyle out Oliver should have been given a run of games. He looked good when he came on against The Rangers and did more in that short period than what Russell did the whole time he was on yesterday.

All this signing has shown is that Fowler can't be trusted with transfer money! So I'd be shocked if anyone is bought at the end of the season.

I've seen him Everytime he's featured even when he scored the two goals at Alloa I thought he was poor. Holds onto the ball far too long, near kills every attack due to it. Thought he did well in his cameos against st Mirren and rangers but other games he's done nothing to impress. Give me Hilson now he's fit anyday over him

Time for the team to push on for the 4th play off place now, Fowler will have a full squad to pick from next Tues night away to Raith for the first time this season, wonder how he will line up the side for that one? Hopefully the same grit and determination shown by the team and the manager last night continues for the rest of the season.

There are many permutations from defence thro midfield but I would def start Hilson & Lyle up front.

Pickard tbh put in a cringeworthy performance and the crowd were quick to let him know. Fowler responded by staring them out for a long duration of time.

It was a strange little episode, that.

Lots of fans in the main stand were moaning at Fowler to change things, particular when Pickard lost out, which caused Fowler to stare back at the fans with a solemn face.

I'm very reluctant to slag off Pickard because he's young and he works hard. As others observe, persevering with young players is often required to get results. If I'm being honest though, I can't really see what he's offered, especially in an advanced role. Despite his physique, he doesn't win many headers or hold things up well. I also thought he was hampered last night by the daft early booking he collected, which meant he was tentative thereafter.

As I said, perseverance here might pay off, but it does strike me as odd that he's being preferred to others who seem more naturally suited to the roles he's being given.

I know that it owed something to returning personnel and we certainly can't complain at the outcome, but overall, last night still pointed to how unclear Fowler remains, as to his favoured set up and team.

Pickard certainly gives 100% effort and I sense that Fowlerhas been frustrated with some of our more gifted players who have perhaps not delivered enough. I think he has been making a statement to certain players and he has been impressed with Pickard's attitude.

I didnt see tha Alloa home match where Pickard played very well in a midfield role. While he has put himself about when played up front I think we have much better options especially now that Hilson is feeling his way back in. Very few successful teams deploy the big target man these days and I think it is a bit anti-football and very unpleasing on the eye.

Despite not playing particularly well this season we are still tough to beat largely because we have a solid back four but going forward we dont have any real personality or style of play.

I can understand why we might defend in depth against Rangers and Hibs - fowler correctly said in his podcast that if we come out and make it an open game the likelyhood is that we will get picked off. These are the only two teams in this league who have vastly superior players to us - the rest of the teams are of a very similar standard to ourselves and we are probably better than most.We picked up 3 massive bonus points on Tuesday that were very unexpected and I really hope that we can get out there in the remaining matches and attack with a personality and belief that can win a decent proportion of these matches.

I really hope that Hilson gets stronger and that his injury is behind him - he is the one player that can make a big difference to us in the run in. Mark Millar is a player who has not done himself justice - he is much fitter - but cant understand whythatundoubted ability doesnt manifest itself in match winning performances and a few goals.

Guest Flash

Pickard certainly gives 100% effort and I sense that Fowlerhas been frustrated with some of our more gifted players who have perhaps not delivered enough. I think he has been making a statement to certain players and he has been impressed with Pickard's attitude.

I didnt see tha Alloa home match where Pickard played very well in a midfield role. While he has put himself about when played up front I think we have much better options especially now that Hilson is feeling his way back in. Very few successful teams deploy the big target man these days and I think it is a bit anti-football and very unpleasing on the eye.

Despite not playing particularly well this season we are still tough to beat largely because we have a solid back four but going forward we dont have any real personality or style of play.

I can understand why we might defend in depth against Rangers and Hibs - fowler correctly said in his podcast that if we come out and make it an open game the likelyhood is that we will get picked off. These are the only two teams in this league who have vastly superior players to us - the rest of the teams are of a very similar standard to ourselves and we are probably better than most.We picked up 3 massive bonus points on Tuesday that were very unexpected and I really hope that we can get out there in the remaining matches and attack with a personality and belief that can win a decent proportion of these matches.

I really hope that Hilson gets stronger and that his injury is behind him - he is the one player that can make a big difference to us in the run in. Mark Millar is a player who has not done himself justice - he is much fitter - but cant understand whythatundoubted ability doesnt manifest itself in match winning performances and a few goals.

Agree with this.

I think Pickard is in the team for his defensive qualities and not for what he brings to the attack.

I also think Millar has been relatively poor because he isn't really all that interested in getting back to defend. He might be better in a kind of "number 10" role but not sure that fits in with the players we have. I think he has been asked to do a certain job and he doesn't really enjoy it and this has affected his performances.

I don't think there is any doubt that Fowler prefers the most cautious approach possible in every game. Even in games he thinks we can win, we tend to attack until we score. And if that is in the first half, it means we drop back in the second half.

I'm not sure if this is because it is his philosophy generally. Or because he doesn't think we have a squad good enough to finish 4th if we played any other way. I also wonder whether if there was no prize for finishing 4th our approach might be different. There would be no need to play this way if avoiding relegation was the only target.

I also wonder if 4th is seen as an end in itself and that this way of playing hasn't been adopted as a means to gain promotion. I think it is possible that finishing 4th is the end game and, if it is achieved, everybody gets their bonus and starts thinking about their holidays.