The Queen of the South thread

McShane could deliver a dead ball effectively but flattered to deceive really if McKenna had been available last season chances are he would never have got a look in anyway. McShane was guilty of being caught out of position regularly what did at times put us under pressure needlessly. Not surprised he is a bit part player at Dingwall and didn't cover himself in glory as Dundee UTD scored at least he had Mark Durnan on hand to discuss there goal conceding errors .....

Ooft!

I don't remember Gus to be negative but then again I didn't go much after about November. It was just a team full of fairly poor players who played absolutely shite. This season is nowhere near that bad but I don't think many could argue it has been a good season for watching queens.

Really? What I recall of Gus's tactics were, Plan A: Sit in and hold on to what we currently have. If we conceded he would then resort to Plan B which was: Resort to Plan A!

No it wouldnt. We couldnt have worn either blue or white at Morton. The black kit is the second choice incidentally, it is the white that is third.

Morton could have worn their away strip? Or is there some kind of new rule that prevents that? Surely not, or teams would be phoning around every club at the beginning of the season to see what colours other teams were buying :wacko: A third strip for a small club like us did strike me as rather surprising in all honesty.

Morton could have worn their away strip? Or is there some kind of new rule that prevents that? Surely not, or teams would be phoning around every club at the beginning of the season to see what colours other teams were buying :wacko: A third strip for a small club like us did strike me as rather surprising in all honesty.

Fairly certain that the colours have to be approved by the league at the start of the season for exactly that reason.

Morton could have worn their away strip? Or is there some kind of new rule that prevents that?

Surely not, or teams would be phoning around every club at the beginning of the season to see what colours other teams were buying :wacko: A third strip for a small club like us did strike me as rather surprising in all honesty.

Home team always has the priority over choice of kit so if there is a clash it is up to the away team to change. All clubs will be provided with a list of each other's registered colours home, away and third before the start of each season.

I could be wrong but I think Morton and Kilmarnock are the only teams in all four leagues that we need to move away from the traditional white away shirt. I was surprised we went for a third kit instead of just going for a yellow and blue combo.

Home team always has the priority over choice of kit so if there is a clash it is up to the away team to change.

I take it that changed at some point in Scotland.

When I first went to some games at Palmerston in the mid to late seventies, it was often Queens who wore the 'away' strip.

I quite like the idea - it's sort of courteous towards your guests.

I can recall a game when I was younger, Queens were in their away kit at Palmerston. I can remember being annoyed and querying why we had to change when we were at home. Pretty raging for a 7 year old :lol:

If the rules have changed then fair enough, I clearly had no idea.

Edited by 19QOS19

Why should Morton have to wear their away strip at home to accommodate us? Clubs are required to get clearance for their kit designs from the league each year. They look at the contrasts and clashes though the final decision always rests with the referee.

If you share a division with Morton or Kilmarnock or anyone else with blue and white shirts you arent going to be allowed a blue home and white away shirt without a third alternative. Anyway as already pointed out its the white kit that is the third one not the black one.

Home team always has the priority over choice of kit so if there is a clash it is up to the away team to change. All clubs will be provided with a list of each other's registered colours home, away and third before the start of each season.

I could be wrong but I think Morton and Kilmarnock are the only teams in all four leagues that we need to move away from the traditional white away shirt. I was surprised we went for a third kit instead of just going for a yellow and blue combo.

Yes, I was surprised too.

Why should Morton have to wear their away strip at home to accommodate us? Clubs are required to get clearance for their kit designs from the league each year. They look at the contrasts and clashes though the final decision always rests with the referee.

If you share a division with Morton or Kilmarnock or anyone else with blue and white shirts you arent going to be allowed a blue home and white away shirt without a third alternative. Anyway as already pointed out its the white kit that is the third one not the black one.

I was under the impression that black was 3rd kit and white was 2nd kit?

It's for this exact reason the away top should be something outrageously novelty in my opinion. The home top is the one that should hold all the tradition whereas the away top has one purpose - not to clash with anyone else.

Partick have had a few crackers in recent times, and I really like Accies going for classic international tops as well. I'm not sure if they are still doing that.

Obviously it's personal preference but I've now got more blue football tops than I can wear between Queens and Scotland so unless it's something special I am unlikely to buy one any time soon. The most recent tops I have bought have been the pink and yellow Scotland shirt. The yellow queens top with the "tyre tread", and the "AC Milan" one. All because they were something a bit different.

I really like the red and black effort we had. I still wear that one regularly.

As this was away kit was in our relegation season it was never going to be a fans' favourite, although in saying that I did purchase the shirt myself. Edited by RUSTY1111

I take it that changed at some point in Scotland.When I first went to some games at Palmerston in the mid to late seventies, it was often Queens who wore the 'away' strip.I quite like the idea - it's sort of courteous towards your guests.

I cant recall it ever being like that but I didnt start going regularly until the mid 80s so it presumably changed in between.

I quite like what the NFL do in kits. Every team has to have two kits, one white and one something colourful. Usual practice is to wear the colours at home and white away but some teams prefer it the other way. But basically everybody's change is white.

In the SPFL the two teams and the referee agree colours each week in advance of the game but you still get the occasional matchday switch if it turns out something doesnt work and then its inevitably the home team that has to change as they have their kit on site. Happened before our home game with Raith in December when colours were all agreed and then on the night the ref decided our blue socks and Raith's black ones didnt contrast enough under floodlight and asked us to switch to white.

I can recall a game when I was younger, Queens were in their away kit at Palmerston. I can remember being annoyed and querying why we had to change when we were at home. Pretty raging for a 7 year old :lol:

If the rules have changed then fair enough, I clearly had no idea.

Sadly, I think we're talking about different eras.

The game your seven year old self watched would have come well after the period I was talking about, would it not?

I think I've seen odd occasions of the home team changing since, but I think it was the norm back when I were a lad. Unless I dreamt it all which is actually conceivable.

I was under the impression that black was 3rd kit and white was 2nd kit?

Your impression was incorrect then. It was made clear when they were launched that black is the second kit. We only have a white because we share a division with Falkirk and Raith and couldnt wear either blue or black against their dark blue kits.

We did of course wear white tops and blue shorts at home for a season in the 90's. The 75 anniversary season springs to mind with Fiat as the sponsor.

I'd forgotten about that.

I think I have only seen Queens in an away strip at home once, in the 70's. Don't know why they did that?

It has always been my understanding that the away team change.

Your impression was incorrect then. It was made clear when they were launched that black is the second kit. We only have a white because we share a division with Falkirk and Raith and couldnt wear either blue or black against their dark blue kits.

This does rather make sense, though I don't know why Raith's away kit was given the go ahead as it's as dark as their home kit, although I know that it has to do with remembering their fallen players from the two World Wars. Edited by RUSTY1111

We did of course wear white tops and blue shorts at home for a season in the 90's. The 75 anniversary season springs to mind with Fiat as the sponsor.

We had that for a couple of seasons. The same top also had the Open University as a sponsor, I think in 95/96, its second season.

White shirt with blue flashes across it and the FIAT sponsorship. Wasn't a fans' favourite due to it not being the traditional blue if I recall.

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Queen_of_the_South/Queen_of_the_South.htm

Edited by RUSTY1111