The Queen of the South thread

The crowds will dwindle between now and May and the board will have a massive decision on their hands. The football on display for the majority of the season has been absolutely woeful to watch, no attacking intent for most of the games and recently his Pickard must play 90 minutes no matter what has been truly baffling. I don't want to be harsh on an 18 year old lad but he really is hugely out of his depth as a striker. I fully blame Fowler for this as anyone can see he isn't ready to be picked every week.

Fowler would have been better playing Aidan Smith. At least he is a striker.

Edited by RUSTY1111

Fowler would have been better playing Aidan Smith as at least he is a striker.

I'm all for youth to be tried if they are going to improve the first team, you would be hard pushed to find a queens fan who genuinely think he improves the team as a striker. Even in midfield he puts himself about but doesn't have much football in him. Like you say out of all the youngsters to have been tried, Smith is the one who has impressed with his pace and movement and he has actually found the back of the net. The other youngster who I liked the look of was Moxon when he came on in an early season cup game think was maybe Morton ? He looked quite tidy on the ball but the manager will see him every day and will decide if he is deserving of game time.

Edited by Broony88

The crowds will dwindle between now and May and the board will have a massive decision on their hands. The football on display for the majority of the season has been absolutely woeful to watch, no attacking intent for most of the games and recently his Pickard must play 90 minutes no matter what has been truly baffling. I don't want to be harsh on an 18 year old lad but he really is hugely out of his depth as a striker. I fully blame Fowler for this as anyone can see he isn't ready to be picked every week.

I genuinely don't think there will be a massive decision to be made by the board. As I say, the expectation this season was to finish anywhere between 5th and 7th. That looks likely to happen. Why would the board be considering sacking a manager for achieving what was likely asked of him? Considering Iain Scott kept his job for so long and Gus was allowed to take us down with his anti-football tactics I really can't see us chopping a manager for reaching his targets.

I am under no illusions that our performances have been poor this season, but folk's memories must be extremely short. We were spoiled the last couple of seasons with the squad we had. This season was always going to be a pretty meh effort in comparison. We need to accept that the quality of squad we have now is way below what we had last term and the fact we were in with a shout for 4th is actually pretty impressive even if we are dull to watch.

Out of interest. If Queens finished 4th this year would you be wanting him chopped?

Despite all the changes i think 4th place was well within our grasp especially when you see how poor St Mirren are!!

Some players get dropped almost automatically when their performance dips and others retain their place come what may.

Pickard has been given an extended run of games where he has started. By no stretch of the imagination has he done enough to justify the faith shown in him. Oliver, Murdoch,Millar and even Russell have been omitted as soon as their performance shades off a bit. Smith cant get any sort of look in and to be fair he may well not be good enough but I would strongly contend that if I was going to give one of the younger players a "free pass" for a few games in an attacking role it would not be young Pickard. By all means give him some game time from the bench or loan him out but our forward tactics now revolve around the "big target man". Not the way forward and I think we would be better served going with some creativity and pace.

It is all probably academic now but the selections and tactics have been perplexing to say the least and some players have had a pretty raw deal when it comes to " being picked".

The Club is now extremely well run and I felt that we were on an upward trajectory but on the playing side we are at the crossroads. We need to retain our key players and recruit some new blood that will improve us. Our recruitment has been average at best and two of our principal rivals Raith and Falkirk have been bolder and more imaginative. We have also lost the positive energy that the supporters had on the back of a great Div 1 campaign and two very exciting Championship campaigns. Our home support has always been " hard to please"but our enthusiastic away support seems to be dwindling away by the week.

The next few weeks are very important as a continuation of the same weary football will make it difficult to retain players and attract the sort that we need to make a difference.

I genuinely don't think there will be a massive decision to be made by the board. As I say, the expectation this season was to finish anywhere between 5th and 7th. That looks likely to happen. Why would the board be considering sacking a manager for achieving what was likely asked of him? Considering Iain Scott kept his job for so long and Gus was allowed to take us down with his anti-football tactics I really can't see us chopping a manager for reaching his targets.

I am under no illusions that our performances have been poor this season, but folk's memories must be extremely short. We were spoiled the last couple of seasons with the squad we had. This season was always going to be a pretty meh effort in comparison. We need to accept that the quality of squad we have now is way below what we had last term and the fact we were in with a shout for 4th is actually pretty impressive even if we are dull to watch.

Out of interest. If Queens finished 4th this year would you be wanting him chopped?

I can categorically confirm the target has been top 4 so I have no idea where you have heard 5th-7th ? I wouldn't want him chopped for finishing 4th if he had achieved that but I would want him to have a long hard look at the way he sets up our team. It is negative beyond believe and our record this year is appalling, if you want to watch another season of anti football under Fowler be my guest but with a league that will contain in all likely hood Dundee Utd, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Raith, St Mirren and Hibs or another premier side it will be a bloody hard league next year. One I would be confident backing us to be in relegation trouble over top 4 with Fowler in charge.

I'm all for youth to be tried if they are going to improve the first team, you would be hard pushed to find a queens fan who genuinely think he improves the team as a striker. Even in midfield he puts himself about but doesn't have much football in him. Like you say out of all the youngsters to have been tried, Smith is the one who has impressed with his pace and movement and he has actually found the back of the net. The other youngster who I liked the look of was Moxon when he came on in an early season cup game think was maybe Morton ? He looked quite tidy on the ball but the manager will see him every day and will decide if he is deserving of game time.

Smith reminds me a little of Andy Thomson as a raw young striker but don't think he will end up as good as he was at Palmerston.

Guest Flash

Smith reminds me a little of Andy Thomson as a raw young striker but don't think he will end up as good as he was at Palmerston.

Pickard reminds me a little of an old Derek Holmes.

😊

I can categorically confirm the target has been top 4 so I have no idea where you have heard 5th-7th ? I wouldn't want him chopped for finishing 4th if he had achieved that but I would want him to have a long hard look at the way he sets up our team. It is negative beyond believe and our record this year is appalling, if you want to watch another season of anti football under Fowler be my guest but with a league that will contain in all likely hood Dundee Utd, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Raith, St Mirren and Hibs or another premier side it will be a bloody hard league next year. One I would be confident backing us to be in relegation trouble over top 4 with Fowler in charge.

Of course it will have been the target, but I doubt Fowler was told at the beginning of the season he absolutely must achieve 4th. I said in an earlier post that the hope was always going to be 4th but anyone who genuinely Expected us to achieve it at the beginning of the season was kidding themselves. Before a ball was kicked it's fair to say Hibs, Falkirk, St Mirren and The Rangers were the ones Expected to take the top 4 spots. We lost a lot of quality and IMO our squad was on par with Morton and Raith.

Again, I'm not condoning Fowler's approach to games. It's been extremely poor at times. But looking at the bigger picture, 5th/6th was what the majority of us expected. It would be harsh to sack him for achieving what we all expected us to achieve.

Looks like a few more players may be up for suspension shortly. Dowie, Higgins, Jacobs and Kidd looking favourite.

Higgins booking last night means he'll be suspended when we play Rangers at the end of the month. Dowie and Lyle are one booking away from suspension too. Jacobs and Kidd are nowhere near suspension having already served a one game ban.

Higgins booking last night means he'll be suspended when we play Rangers at the end of the month. Dowie and Lyle are one booking away from suspension too. Jacobs and Kidd are nowhere near suspension having already served a one game ban.

Thanks for the clarification SD.

I'd forgotten Jacobs and Kidd had already missed out. I wonder if the Rangers game will be moved if that is the International weekend, when Rangers sometimes postpone their matches?

Edited by RUSTY1111

I'd forgotten Jacobs and Kidd had already missed out. I wonder if the Rangers game will be moved if that is the International weekend, when Rangers sometimes postpone their matches?

It may be, though not sure how many call ups they'll actually have with the likes of Onuwa, Thompson, Hardie and Walsh all away or out on loan. McKay and Zelalem will no doubt be called up. They will need a third to get the option. Shiels might be with Northern Ireland. Or they may have others with the 19's.

Who will you be supporting at Ibrox Rusty1111 aka ALBERTZ_11 ? Queens or Rangers :D

Of course it will have been the target, but I doubt Fowler was told at the beginning of the season he absolutely must achieve 4th. I said in an earlier post that the hope was always going to be 4th but anyone who genuinely Expected us to achieve it at the beginning of the season was kidding themselves. Before a ball was kicked it's fair to say Hibs, Falkirk, St Mirren and The Rangers were the ones Expected to take the top 4 spots. We lost a lot of quality and IMO our squad was on par with Morton and Raith.

Again, I'm not condoning Fowler's approach to games. It's been extremely poor at times. But looking at the bigger picture, 5th/6th was what the majority of us expected. It would be harsh to sack him for achieving what we all expected us to achieve.

Genuine question:

Would it be a sacking as such? I thought he was on one of those one year rolling things whereby the decision is whether or not to renew?

Have I got that wrong?