The Queen of the South thread

Exactly my thoughts I wouldnt touch him - similar player to Derek Holmes - marginally quicker and I mean marginally. Not the way forward for a team like us.He might do ok in a team that is dominating their league and firing in crosses by the barrowload ( Dunfermline this season for example) but not for a battling mid table Champ team where we are likely to be under the cosh in a fair percentage of the games.

Exactly my thoughts I wouldnt touch him - similar player to Derek Holmes - marginally quicker and I mean marginally. Not the way forward for a team like us.He might do ok in a team that is dominating their league and firing in crosses by the barrowload ( Dunfermline this season for example) but not for a battling mid table Champ team where we are likely to be under the cosh in a fair percentage of the games.

If we are likely to be under the cosh a fair bit then surely a Holmes like striker who can hold the ball up is what we'll require?

Are you kidding - dont say you havent been warned.

Random Guy sounds as if he will personally drive Sutton down to Palmy from Perth - hardly a ringing endorsement and I dont think he is only Saintee who feels the same.

Ach, he'd probably have given Dobbie a lift too.

Im with you on this one. Id rather we went for pace and skill up front than simply a physical presence like Sutton. Ideally, of course, you'd have a striker with all those attributes but they are pretty thin on the ground at this level

Ach, he'd probably have given Dobbie a lift too.

Dobbie had age on his side. He shouldn't really have been playing for Dumbarton or us if we are honest.

However, I am grateful that he let himself go. He is the best player I have ever seen in a Queens shirt, even though he was a couple of stone overweight when he arrived.

It was clear that he could play at a much higher level if he screwed the nut and shed the pounds and he went on to do so.

Sutton on the other hand is nearing the end of his career. I don't think he is what we need next season to be honest.

Dobbie had age on his side. He shouldn't really have been playing for Dumbarton or us if we are honest.

However, I am grateful that he let himself go. He is the best player I have ever seen in a Queens shirt, even though he was a couple of stone overweight when he arrived.

It was clear that he could play at a much higher level if he screwed the nut and shed the pounds and he went on to do so.

Sutton on the other hand is nearing the end of his career. I don't think he is what we need next season to be honest.

No, I tend to agree.

I was just making the point that fans of previous clubs aren't necessarily infallible in these things.

No, I tend to agree.I was just making the point that fans of previous clubs aren't necessarily infallible in these things.

I know MT. One man's meat is another's poison.You just need to look at Baird for that.

To be fair to Baird though, I am sure he was injured pre or early season with us and never got a look in. However he was magic with Raith and has been a revelation for Falkirk.

Circumstances meant it didn't really work out for him with us but these things happen. You win some, you lose some.

Are you kidding - dont say you havent been warned.

Random Guy sounds as if he will personally drive Sutton down to Palmy from Perth - hardly a ringing endorsement and I dont think he is only Saintee who feels the same.

You don't need to warn me, I'm not defending Sutton (it's a signing I wouldn't be pleased to see in all honesty). I was merely questioning your thinking. If we'll be on the back foot for large chunks of games then a striker who can hold the ball up and give us time to get up and support, is surely more valuable than a striker who requires instant support or loses possession?

I know MT. One man's meat is another's poison.You just need to look at Baird for that.

To be fair to Baird though, I am sure he was injured pre or early season with us and never got a look in. However he was magic with Raith and has been a revelation for Falkirk.

Circumstances meant it didn't really work out for him with us but these things happen. You win some, you lose some.

I was watching the Rotherham highlights from the Palmerston friendly a few seasons ago earlier todau and Baird looked sharp then and enjoyed scoring early on. His injury problems at Queens didn't help, right enough.

No point in looking back but we missed a trick with John Baird. Jim McIntyre made a great signing in securing Baird from Raith and firstly it was very unfortunate that he had a niggling injury when he first arrived.

Many Queens fans were quick to write him off and I remember reading some of the negative comments about Baird and thinking am I watching a different player. It was pretty obvious that he was an excellent striker at this level with his movement and general play. Baird came here fully expecting to be our No 1 striker with Reilly as a partner and Lyle as an impact player probably from the bench. With his injury restricting his early appearances Lyle and Reilly formed a terrific partnership and both performed way ahead of expectations in that great season.

Baird was used sparingly by Fowler and there was no way that he was going to be warming a bench at that stage of his career.It is hard to criticise Fowler in his first season but he could have found a way to include all 3 with Lyle possibly being deployed in a no 10 role. The reality is that if we still had the services of John Baird this season there is a very strong probability that we would have got 4th place and enjoyed a much better season. Despite all that we achieved last season the loss of John Baird was a sore one as potentially we could have built our strike force around him for a few years.

In an ideal world no Management Team wants to deal with these "huffy" types but lets be clear football is awash with these characters and I am guessing that James Fowler finds it difficult to keep these players onside. He wants the 100% team player with a great attitude - nothing wrong with that but the ones with the real ability are sometmes the most difficult to manage and if you want to keep them you have to use them or lose them.

No point in looking back but we missed a trick with John Baird. Jim McIntyre made a great signing in securing Baird from Raith and firstly it was very unfortunate that he had a niggling injury when he first arrived.

Many Queens fans were quick to write him off and I remember reading some of the negative comments about Baird and thinking am I watching a different player. It was pretty obvious that he was an excellent striker at this level with his movement and general play. Baird came here fully expecting to be our No 1 striker with Reilly as a partner and Lyle as an impact player probably from the bench. With his injury restricting his early appearances Lyle and Reilly formed a terrific partnership and both performed way ahead of expectations in that great season.

Baird was used sparingly by Fowler and there was no way that he was going to be warming a bench at that stage of his career.It is hard to criticise Fowler in his first season but he could have found a way to include all 3 with Lyle possibly being deployed in a no 10 role. The reality is that if we still had the services of John Baird this season there is a very strong probability that we would have got 4th place and enjoyed a much better season. Despite all that we achieved last season the loss of John Baird was a sore one as potentially we could have built our strike force around him for a few years.

In an ideal world no Management Team wants to deal with these "huffy" types but lets be clear football is awash with these characters and I am guessing that James Fowler finds it difficult to keep these players onside. He wants the 100% team player with a great attitude - nothing wrong with that but the ones with the real ability are sometmes the most difficult to manage and if you want to keep them you have to use them or lose them.

I agree that it would have been better if we'd kept Baird. He is a good player at this level and God knows, we could have used him this season.

I don't agree that he did well for us during his appearances though.

He was busy but I didn't think the ball stuck with him very effectively when he tried to hold it up. He also lacked composure in front of goal, repeatedly snatching at chances.

As we know, it sometimes happens with players for whatever reasons that it just doesn't work somewhere. That seemed to be the case here. It's a pity though that the chance to come through it didn't happen.

I was excited when we got him and I'm sorry it didn't work.

He really wasn't very good for us at all though.

I believe next season aiden smith if he stays will get more game time as the legs start to give up on lyle. We as a club should be looking to our youth for recruitment rather than players who although experienced are getting on a bit age wise.

Assuming that Fowler is in charge, I don't think there's much to suggest we'll see more of Smith.

Despite our attacking problems this year, Smith has seldom got on the pitch, with his manager attempting all sorts of alternatives.

I don't know if Smith's the answer, but I'd like to see him try. I don't think Fowler rates him though.

What's Smith's own contract situation?

Assuming that Fowler is in charge, I don't think there's much to suggest we'll see more of Smith.Despite our attacking problems this year, Smith has seldom got on the pitch, with his manager attempting all sorts of alternatives.I don't know if Smith's the answer, but I'd like to see him try. I don't think Fowler rates him though.What's Smith's own contract situation?

Smith played the last time at Ibrox though with Hilson back I doubt if he'll feature unless as a late sub.