The Queen of the South thread

Will be interesting to see who gets this gig as fowler did pretty well under the circumstances. Thought last years excellent season might have got him at least a chance to continue to rebuild the team over the summer but football's a cut throat business these days and a safe but unexciting season of rebuilding sometimes aint good enough no matter who the club is. Bonus for him is that he at least got out before tarnishing his reputation too much so he should have no bother getting another job.

It all seemed to start unraveling when Kerr and Baird were allowed to join us last Christmas.

I actually thought he did pretty well after losing the rest of his good players in the summer. You always felt something was not quite right though.

Actually agree with elements of that.

Losing a couple of key players to a main rival set the alarm bells ringing for me. That said we did well last season. We`ll never know if the season might have been even better if we had kept those 2 players.

It was always going to be a struggle this season but I expect the board would have expected to have seen some progress as the season went on when in fact we have got progressively poorer. Some of our recent displays have been awful.

Time to sort contracts b4 next season surely is now but that's gonna be difficult not knowing who the new manager will be or he would like to keep it let go, or has Fowler intimated to the Chairman his thoughts on the playing staff before getting the axe.

Or is the chairman going to decide who stays and who goes!

Time to sort contracts b4 next season surely is now but that's gonna be difficult not knowing who the new manager will be or he would like to keep it let go, or has Fowler intimated to the Chairman his thoughts on the playing staff before getting the axe.

Or is new manager in contact with chairman

A shiver ran down ma spine reading that lol the name Willie Harkness jumped into ma heid !!!

A shiver ran down ma spine reading that lol the name Willie Harkness jumped into ma heid !!!

No No No. I, like probably many others had managed by now to blank that period.

There are some memories that are best forgotten and not dredged up from the dark pits of despair!

Things were pretty grim at times in the Harkness era but we also had some great players in that time for which he deserves grudging credit.

We sure did, was just talking at work the other day about some players from that era lol the likes of Chris Balderstone one of the best midfielders I have seen play for Queens. To lazy to google but must have been around the late seventies he played.

We sure did, was just talking at work the other day about some players from that era lol the likes of Chris Balderstone one of the best midfielders I have seen play for Queens. To lazy to google but must have been around the late seventies he played.

Worth Googling.

Quite a story.

He was at Palmerston 1976-78, with 34 league appearances. Didn't realise he played cricket for Yorkshire and Leicestershire. He also played for England in two test matches in 76 and he was also an umpire for two ODI's between 94-98. Edited by RUSTY1111

Chris Balderstone and Bobby Parker who came after him, and followed a very similar route to arrive at Palmerston were both excellent players.

I wouldn't credit the then chairman for that 'tho.

Probably a case of " despite rather than because " imo.

I can't see any player signing a contract for a manager less club. They may not like the new gaffer, their 'philosophy' or the plans the manager has for that player in particular.

I hope we have a new man at the helm before the end of the season though so that he can re-sign what decent players we have at the club currently. Or the job may be more appealing to the new man as he has a clean slate and can get rid of everyone and bring in his own players right from the start.

Edited by 19QOS19

I can't see any player signing a contract for a manager less club. They may not like the new gaffer, their 'philosophy' or the plans the manager has for that player in particular.

I hope we have a new man at the helm before the end of the season though so that he can re-sign what decent players we have at the club currently. Or the job may be more appealing to the new man as he has a clean slate and can get rid of everyone and bring in his own players right from the start.

We must try and get a new manager in as fast as we can.

Can we wait for a manager till after the playoffs ?

I take it we will still be paying Fowler till the end of May so with that in mind do we just wait till then.