The Queen of the South thread

8 hours ago, Mr X said:

He is, as is Jacobs. Thankfully, it sounds like he'll be back on Saturday

Naysmith saying all the right things in his interview last night, including looking to bring some players in straight away. Lets hope he can put those words into practice

So wonder which position or positions he will look to strengthen. I feel we could use another striker, centre mid and possibly a right back. Hamill is fine at right back but if Naysmith sees him as a midfielder then I dont think either Brownlie or Hooper are the answer in that position. With Rigg and Hilson out for a while and possibly Dykes then we need a striker aswell. Nathan Austin who flourished at East Fife under Naysmith is the one who immediately springs to mind as a loan option but Ive no idea whether we will be able to get him in. 

29 minutes ago, football maniac said:

So wonder which position or positions he will look to strengthen. I feel we could use another striker, centre mid and possibly a right back. Hamill is fine at right back but if Naysmith sees him as a midfielder then I dont think either Brownlie or Hooper are the answer in that position. With Rigg and Hilson out for a while and possibly Dykes then we need a striker aswell. Nathan Austin who flourished at East Fife under Naysmith is the one who immediately springs to mind as a loan option but Ive no idea whether we will be able to get him in. 

Canny see him being allowed to leave Falkirk.

QOS 19 alludes to the fact that our problems are not really upfront - to be fair most Queens fans probably agree with that. I must admit that I feel that without Dobbie we are seriously limited in attacking areas. Our midfield is dreadful (none of the players chip in with goals on a semi regular basis) and the lack of creativity is there for all to see. In addition they do not protect back 4 in the way that McKenna and Burns did.Up top Dykes has completely lost his form and his finishing has been erratic, Anderson is a trier but really lacks quality, Lyle is absolved from any criticism but is not the ideal foil for Dobbie. Rigg is simply not good enough and Hilson and Danny have to prove that they can be relied upon to play a full season injury free.There were countless games at the start of this horrendous run where we defended pretty well but lost games because we couldn't convert any of the numerous chances that came our way. Last night if you take out Dobbie's shots and dangerous crosses there was virtually nothing else.I would conclude that we are painfully short up front but midfield is the big problem. The defence is not great but I think it could come good if the midfield started to protect them properly.

Relegation is now a massive reality - drastic action required in transfer window because nobody could possibly trust this squad to get us out of trouble. Sad to say but all trust has gone and while there are definitely players that we want to keep we need to find a backbone and to do that reinforcements required. Manager has made a big error coming here at this time and I suspect that we have made an error in appointing a relative novice.

Hope I am wrong on all counts but this collapse is so deep rooted that drastic action required.

19 hours ago, Dougie Mills said:

When was the last time we scored an injury time winner?  We're damn good at losing them but I honestly can't recall the last time we got one!

That's a good question.

We must have scored plenty of decisive, very late goals down the years, but I can't think of any at all really.

A late winner at home against the all conquering Falkirk team, back in the part -time days?  The late 84 yard clincher in the Cup against Dundee?

There must be others, but I can't call them to mind.  I can think of lots we've lost though.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, right enough.  

The Raith game was relatively recent.

That Patrick one was an 'out of jail' type game I think.  A rotten performance - did Rocco Quinn get the winner?  That must have been five or six seasons ago.

Maybe not the same game but a very late winner scored by Stephen Payne v Thistle in 2004

Late winner at Firhill

11 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I remember that. There is also a home win 2-1 with a late Quinn goal.

Had a look that was the game v Partick that set up our final meeting with rangers fc (RIP) when Stevie tosh broke his ankle and Bob Harris scored a screamer of a consolation. 

The game i was thinking of was the 3-3 draw with Thistle (on 12/2/2011), we were 3-1 down and going nowhere. 5 mins to go I left for the long journey up the road only for McLaren to score on 87 mins and A Johnstone to score in the 91st minute. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/q-of-south-vs-partick/217408

Edited by sneeuq

On 10/09/2016 at 21:26, Skyline Drifter said:

20 - Kenny Dick (64)
19 - Willie Dougan (65)
18 - Jimmy Rutherford (66)
17 - Lex Law (68)
16 - John O'Neill (70)
15 - Jackie Law (71)
14 - Billy Houliston (74)
13 - Rowan Alexander (78)
12 - Iain McChesney (79)
11 - Jackie Oakes (81)
10 - Jimmy Robertson (89)
9 - Ian Reid (89)
8 - Tommy McCall (93)
7 - Stevie Mallan (94)
6 - Tommy Bryce (95)
5 - Jocky Dempster (98)
4 - Derek Lyle (103)
3 - Andy Thomson (114)
2 - Bobby Black (120)
1 - Jim Patterson (251)

Dobbie is currently on 62. I'd expect him to move into the top 15 during the season. I am presuming the current phenomenal rate of scoring will drop eventually as teams double him up or get more familiar with him.

Thought we may as well update this. The one positive out of last night was Dobbie back on the goal trail again. He's now up to 69 goals and 17th in the all time list, moving ahead of Lex Law last night. John O'Neill and Jackie Law in immediate sight. Lyle has added only one goal since that post in September (Saturday's late consolation), partly as a result of missing five games through injury.

20 - Willie Dougan (65)
19 - Jimmy Rutherford (66)
18 - Lex Law (68)
17 - Stephen Dobbie (69)
16 - John O'Neill (70)
15 - Jackie Law (71)
14 - Billy Houliston (74)
13 - Rowan Alexander (78)
12 - Iain McChesney (79)
11 - Jackie Oakes (81)
10 - Jimmy Robertson (89)
9 - Ian Reid (89)
8 - Tommy McCall (93)
7 - Stevie Mallan (94)
6 - Tommy Bryce (95)
5 - Jocky Dempster (98)
4 - Derek Lyle (104)
3 - Andy Thomson (114)
2 - Bobby Black (120)
1 - Jim Patterson (251)

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

And there was the Dan Carmichael late winner in the cup the season we got relegated.

We were really good at losing late goals that season.

There was a week in February where we lost very late decisive goals against Ayr on the Saturday, Aberdeen in the Cup midweek, then Dundee the following weekend.

It was not a good week to be a Queens fan, but a far worse one to be a Rangers fan, so that helped.

Since 2010 we have won 3 games with injury time goals (curiously, 2 of them away at Raith).

In the same time we have lost 9 games to injury time goals. 4 of them have come this season, and 3 on our current terrible run.

I'm tempted to do the same exercise for goals after the 85th minute, I suspect it will make even grimmer reading.

9 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Since 2010 we have won 3 games with injury time goals (curiously, 2 of them away at Raith).

In the same time we have lost 9 games to injury time goals. 4 of them have come this season, and 3 on our current terrible run.

I'm tempted to do the same exercise for goals after the 85th minute, I suspect it will make even grimmer reading.

The fact that we've conceded more injury time winners this season than we have scored in 6 years is quite something!

It has honestly got to the stage where I expect us to concede once the clock hits 90 minutes :(