The Queen of the South thread

Definitely the most immediate problem is midfield. Jacobs' return may help a little but we are so weak in that area and it's leading to a lot of the goals being conceded and the lack of creativity going forward. If the funds are really limited then we need to channel them into getting one or two additions in CM. as a quick fix perhaps we can also look at changing the system to accommodate the fact we're so weak here?

Defence can hopefully be sorted through training/better organisation.

Going forward Dobbie is still guaranteed goals. If we lose him it looks bare but we still have Lyle and Dykes had looked very promising before the bad run.

I don't think it's fair to right off the young players. It's our fault (as a club) that we're relying on them far too much. Just listen to Naysmith's interview and he hits the nail on the head.

I'm still hopeful this can be turned around quite quickly but Naysmith is fairly inexperienced so it remains to be seen if he is the right man to do it. He needs to be brave as big changes are required in system or personnel or both to stabilise us. Once that's done though, he still has the makings of a very good first 11 as we saw at the start of the season.

My biggest fear is that we're limited to who we can bring in because a lot of the wage budget is gone already.

On the subject of late goals we have a dreadful record over the years - for some inexplicable reason no matter who is in charge we seem to sit deeper and deeper in last 10 mins of games. We invite trouble and invariably get it. In the last few years AJ was not guilty of this but before him Chisholm was, Brannigan was, McPherson was, McIntyre was, Fowler was, Skelton was and we can give Naysmith benefit of doubt for now. It is illogical to claim that with so many different Managers they all do the same thing but sadly that is my experience.

BigDavieT - I disagree strongly with Gary Naysmith's comments about the young players. In other sports we have youngsters in their teens or very early 20s emerging as World No 1s. We are surely stretching things to suggest that coming off the bench for a mid table Championship side like Queens is in some way asking too much of youngsters in their prime of fitness. Let's not kid ourselves the reason why the same young players fill the bench week after week, month after month is nothing to do with inexperience - it is simply because the Managers making the decisions do not think that they are good enough.

19 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

BigDavieT - I disagree strongly with Gary Naysmith's comments about the young players. In other sports we have youngsters in their teens or very early 20s emerging as World No 1s. We are surely stretching things to suggest that coming off the bench for a mid table Championship side like Queens is in some way asking too much of youngsters in their prime of fitness. Let's not kid ourselves the reason why the same young players fill the bench week after week, month after month is nothing to do with inexperience - it is simply because the Managers making the decisions do not think that they are good enough.

Those youngsters in other sports are at the top of their game, though. If Pickard or Brotherston were the best players at the club they'd be playing every week

Naysmith simply said he didnt think it was fair to put on a young player, with little inexperience, who he didnt know anything about.

10 hours ago, Wasps1 said:

f**k a late goal is a late goal get over it and move on to your next defeat 

2 hours ago, Broony88 said:

Can you help me with my building sandcastles technique for next season ? 

Probably not though I`d imagine he`ll have contacts in the world of sandcastle construction who could help.

We have been massively unlucky with injuries, Aidan Smith was sent on loan to Annan probably fifth in the pecking order but now would probably be second behind Del. If we can get a couple of players in get Jacobs, Hilson and Danny fully fit I will be much more hopeful we can start moving back up the table. 5th or 6th would represent a decent season after this slide. 

Aidan Smith has done the square root of nothing at Annan .The youth system is producing nothing.Reserve team football needs to be brought back where two or three experienced players guide the youngsters .Playing under 20 against 16 17 18 year olds is a complete waste. McClair probably wanted to introduce this but the clowns in charge didn't .

36 minutes ago, weeredbook said:

Aidan Smith has done the square root of nothing at Annan .The youth system is producing nothing.Reserve team football needs to be brought back where two or three experienced players guide the youngsters .Playing under 20 against 16 17 18 year olds is a complete waste. McClair probably wanted to introduce this but the clowns in charge didn't .

I was really highlighting how poor our options have become. If we want to play Dobbie in his best position just in behind the striker we really atm have del and dykes as options up front. Lyndon has been gradually becoming poorer,  with Hilson and Rigg now out I'm sure Aidan would be getting some game time as an option. I like smith as he has pace and is a decent finisher, unfortunately he is on the small side and is easily marshalled at this level. 

13 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Probably not though I`d imagine he`ll have contacts in the world of sandcastle construction who could help.

Correct you might need a few your self to shore that backline up 

On the slide 

Correct and a seaside team should have beaten you . Good luck in your fight at the bottom 

Could have, should have, didn't. Good luck with your inevitable failure to make the promotion play-offs.

We can continue this dance next season.

Pickard Brotherston moxon smith and others have all had game time in the first team some more than others. Are any of these youngsters actually worthy of being in the first team. Will they be key first team players next season?

I have been reasonably impressed with Brotherston and smith what I have seen of them but the others I have either not seen enough of or they just fail to impress.

Thoughts anyone?

I could understand all the jibber jabbering about quality and youth inexperience etc if we were sitting in St Mirrens position having just won our first game of the season but thats not the case. As recently as 9 weeks ago we were sitting top of the table having looked (IMO) pretty impressive pre-season (without Dobbie) and then having had some decent results in both the cup (Hibs away) and league (DU away). When Dobbie arrived it looked like the icing on the cake and I'm sure I wasnt the only one expecting a pretty decent season. 

Granted there were odd poor performances (Stenny the first time around) but apart from that I think we deserved our position at the top.

I cant say I've any insight into what was going on behind the scenes but the Rangers away game in the cup seems to have been the start of the rot. To me there's definitely been an issue of confidence since then. Dobbie seems to be shooting from further and further away and noone else seems to want to have a shot. I think this team needs some good man management and a bit of organisation and it can get back on track. Dykes for me is a classic example of a confidence player - hes got some talent but I dont see him being able to show it in a team fighting for relegation.

2 hours ago, steakpiegravy said:

I could understand all the jibber jabbering about quality and youth inexperience etc if we were sitting in St Mirrens position having just won our first game of the season but thats not the case. As recently as 9 weeks ago we were sitting top of the table having looked (IMO) pretty impressive pre-season (without Dobbie) and then having had some decent results in both the cup (Hibs away) and league (DU away). When Dobbie arrived it looked like the icing on the cake and I'm sure I wasnt the only one expecting a pretty decent season. 

Granted there were odd poor performances (Stenny the first time around) but apart from that I think we deserved our position at the top.

I cant say I've any insight into what was going on behind the scenes but the Rangers away game in the cup seems to have been the start of the rot. To me there's definitely been an issue of confidence since then. Dobbie seems to be shooting from further and further away and noone else seems to want to have a shot. I think this team needs some good man management and a bit of organisation and it can get back on track. Dykes for me is a classic example of a confidence player - hes got some talent but I dont see him being able to show it in a team fighting for relegation.

I think Dykes has the potential to be a very decent player. He started well but his form dipped and he should have been taken out of the starting line-up for a game or two. Unfortunately we were so short of options that it didn`t happen so he kept on playing and IMHO his confidence has taken a real knock as a result. i`m convinced there is a good player in there.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Agreed that some of the "young" players have not been consistent enough or appear to lack the necessary talent for this division but the senior players, especially in defence and centre midfield. are just as culpable for the current situation we find ourselves in. No doubt injuries have played a part in disrupting us having a settled team but that is just part of the problem, we are losing goals and games because of schoolboy defending and lack of concentration. We have actually, in my humble opinion, played quite well in some of the games we have lost but for whatever reason, despite creating plenty of chances,  we struggled to score and that gives opponents confidence. Ayr Utd and Raith Rovers away are games that spring to mind that we could and should have got something out of on possession and chances, Albion Rovers in the Cup also. Even in the 5 - 0 pumping by Morton we had two or three early chances to go in front before it all went pear-shaped. The fact that in most games we are still creating chances probably gives a few of us some hope that a resurgence is just round the corner but we need to stop gifting easy goals and start doing the basics right. Hopefully the new Manager can get things sorted out but unfortunately it may be too soon to expect his influence to show this Saturday.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I think Dykes has the potential to be a very decent player. He started well but his form dipped and he should have been taken out of the starting line-up for a game or two. Unfortunately we were so short of options that it didn`t happen so he kept on playing and IMHO his confidence has taken a real knock as a result. i`m convinced there is a good player in there.

I said exactly the same thing the other day. We have young players who are good enough but are having to play too much and young players who arent good enough, at this stage, in the squad who realistically shouldnt be.