The Queen of the South thread

When he came in at first, he grabbed a couple of goals and we looked more competitive than we'd been. We still hardly won during the spell though and for me, he didn't really do enough.

He gave us something, but lacked mobility. I know he'd played in the SPL at St Johnstone, but I thought it was easy to see why he wound up at such a poor Queens team.

At times he looked outstanding and I suspect with better service he might well have been a very good player at first division level. I think he's capable of stepping back up. For a big man he is quite mobile and has decent touch. I wouldn't agree at all with you that he "lacked mobility".

Good in the air but not outstanding that way. His headed goals were more the result of good movement and flashing headers than towering jumps usually.

When he first came in I thought he was outstanding for two or three weeks but we soon dragged him down to the level of the rest over the next month or two. I did think in his last four or five games he looked lively again though. I'd have been delighted to keep him as he'd have dominated at second division level but I presume he would be beyond our means and he probably has ambition to play higher than second division anyway.

Just been reading the thread on the First Division board about fanzines and it got me thinking about 'A Nightmare on Terregles Street' and 'The Alternative Queens Speech'. Does anyone still have copies? I don't suppose they are available to view online anywhere?

I've probably got them kicking about at my parents house. Not sure when I'll next be there though. Would a 20th (ish?) :o anniversary edition be too much to hope for?

Dumfries Standard@DGStandard Also in tomorrow's Standard, find out which former SPL midfielder is set for a starring return to Queen of the South.

Simmons, Adams, Burns or Gibson? Any more it can be?

The word 'return' suggests we may have to rule out 'SPL class' Simmons. Rocco Quinn is still under contract at Ross County and can Ryan McCann be described as a midfielder when he starred for us at right back? Burns is also under contract until May 2013. I'd have thought Adams and Gibson would not be short of offers in the first division. It'll probably be Neil MacFarlane and his accompanying zimmer frame. :lol:

I wrote a bit for the Queens fanzines mentioned . Were they amateurish ? Yes. Was the spelling and punctuation rubbish ? most probably. Were they hard work to produce and written by real diehards ? Oh, definitely . Raw is the best description of this zine ------- I have to say that our fanzine was representitive of a very dark period in our clubs history . Some people might not be pleased about what is happening presently but it is utopian to what was going on in the early nineties . We even had an incident where the club failed to tell the travelling fans that a kick off at East Stirling had been brought forward to 2 pm. I and 150 others arrived with the first half already over . When pressed on the matter , the then secretary Doreen Alcorn said something along the lines of it wasn't our responsibility to inform the fans and they should have phoned Palmerston themselves . This for a normal Saturday afternoon game . Yes , that did really happen and shows the kind of feeling around then. ps sure we were winning at half time through McGuire ( the goal hardly anyone saw , if any ) but got beat 2-1.

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

The word 'return' suggests we may have to rule out 'SPL class' Simmons. Rocco Quinn is still under contract at Ross County and can Ryan McCann be described as a midfielder when he starred for us at right back? Burns is also under contract until May 2013. I'd have thought Adams and Gibson would not be short of offers in the first division. It'll probably be Neil MacFarlane and his accompanying zimmer frame. :lol:

Has Adams not just signed a new contract with St Johnstone?

McCann or Quinn have never really played much in the SPL though? Stevie Murray is another it could be...

'Former SPL midfielder' may not have played much at that level. Murray is as past it as MacFarlane and Tosh! Of all the names mentioned in the last few posts, the most likely is probably Gibson.

Has Adams not just signed a new contract with St Johnstone?

Having just checked, it appears he has indeed. So Quinn, Burns and Adams are under contract. It must be Gibson. His attitude is probably putting off some potential suitors at a higher level.

I wouldn't agree at all with you that he "lacked mobility".

I wouldn't agree with your failure to agree.

I thought Parkin was defined at times by a lack of mobility. The speed with which he changed direction was oil tankeresque. He seemed very reluctant or unwilling to play any ball that wasn't within easy reach.

I can't for the life of me see him achieving a great deal at SPL level.

As regards a new signing, is Gibson really that big a bampot that better sides than us won't touch him? He should make a great second division player, but I'd be surprised to learn his star has sunk this far.

If it is william...we need centre half, centre mid and a striker at the least

Centre mid and striker I would agree with, but why a centre half? We have Higgins, McGuffie and Black, as well as McKenna who could play there in emergency. Id rather we signed a full back