The Queen of the South thread

Well i was looking at guff being the right back, but guff and higgins were pretty solid together last season

Absolutely. I dont think guff would be bad at right back, but I would prefer to see him in the centre. I also think we would benefit from having a natural full back who can get forward more.

No idea why some of our support give the boy loads of Grief unless he gets rowdy with some of the punters in chancers on a saturday night? laugh.gif. would be a very decent signing.

As one of his biggest critics in the past, he looked a much better player at centre half for Partick than he ever did for us in the middle of midfield.

I'd have been happy to have him back. Didn't even think he was that bad of a centre midfielder either actually. Can play a couple of positions which is more than welcome to any team.

Gibson to sign today according to standard.

Him and Carmichael down the flanks will be a pleasure to watch as they put the fear of god into 2nd division defenders next season.

A new strike partner for smith coming in next few days also. Any names ?

Might as well give us the 2nd Division title the now

Happy days

Him and Carmichael down the flanks will be a pleasure to watch as they put the fear of god into 2nd division defenders next season.

The best kept secret is now out. Gibson and Carmichael would be good signings for a first division club. We'll make plenty of chances.

No idea, but hopefully it's a penalty box poacher and not a big lump. Smith can hold the ball up well and bring others into play.

Happy days

I think we need to sort out the centre of midfield and make sure we sign a defender or two. It's no use having attacking options if we leak goals.

Edited to add: I suppose Gibson could reprise his more central role he played with Falkirk. We could see him playing in front of McKenna with the two Dans in the wide areas. Whatever the plans are for Gibson, we still need three or four more signings to complete the squad.

Edited by MB

Happy days

Oh dear.

Oh dear.

Indeed. Just because we spent a decade at a higher level doesn't mean we'll find it easy in the second. That sort of attitude reminds me of the Dundee fans a few years ago, and they're still in the first division. This will be a highly competitive league and I just hope we're in the mix.

Gibson would be a great signing WHEN its done, and hopefully more to come.I can see Dan Carmichael in a different position to what he played last season.Things are looking positive.

AJ might play Danny more through the middle rather than on the wing ? Did he not play a more central role at Gretna ??

AJ might play Danny more through the middle rather than on the wing ? Did he not play a more central role at Gretna ??

I hope not. Hes a great winger at this level, but not a striker, in my opinion. He played up front a few times last season and didnt have anything like the same impact he did as a winger

I wrote a bit for the Queens fanzines mentioned . Were they amateurish ? Yes. Was the spelling and punctuation rubbish ? most probably. Were they hard work to produce and written by real diehards ? Oh, definitely . Raw is the best description of this zine ------- I have to say that our fanzine was representitive of a very dark period in our clubs history . Some people might not be pleased about what is happening presently but it is utopian to what was going on in the early nineties . We even had an incident where the club failed to tell the travelling fans that a kick off at East Stirling had been brought forward to 2 pm. I and 150 others arrived with the first half already over . When pressed on the matter , the then secretary Doreen Alcorn said something along the lines of it wasn't our responsibility to inform the fans and they should have phoned Palmerston themselves . This for a normal Saturday afternoon game . Yes , that did really happen and shows the kind of feeling around then. ps sure we were winning at half time through McGuire ( the goal hardly anyone saw , if any ) but got beat 2-1.

You missed entertaining, masochistic and very much needed. Discerning voices were not allowed to the point supporters meetings had to be held in the Emerald Park rather than Palmerston. At least Ally Mcleod was honest with the fans in his Q&A session.

As for next year it looks like a decent squad is being assembled rather than the last minute panic of fitting square pegs into round holes that seems to have become common practice.

I hope not. Hes a great winger at this level, but not a striker, in my opinion. He played up front a few times last season and didnt have anything like the same impact he did as a winger

If wee Dan was to play anywhere other than right wing, I'd hope It'd be behind the strikers. But I agree he's a winger, although I do think he could improve his end product. Him on Right, Willie on Left and McKenna, would like a centre midfielder to come like i've already said. The midfield as it is would be pretty formidable in the first, let alone the second, will be interesting to see if we bring in a CM or Magic chooses to play.

Suppose it's a waiting game to see if Gibson signs now.

Would be an excellent signing. I'd be quite disappointed as I hoped we'd still have him next season.

I doubt he's on his way back, He did look a much better player than he was before with Thistle

You missed entertaining, masochistic and very much needed. Discerning voices were not allowed to the point supporters meetings had to be held in the Emerald Park rather than Palmerston. At least Ally Mcleod was honest with the fans in his Q&A session.

As for next year it looks like a decent squad is being assembled rather than the last minute panic of fitting square pegs into round holes that seems to have become common practice.

I enjoyed reading Nightmare of Terregles Street back then. And it was very much needed - a bit of a rallying point for fans against the board of the time. I'm sure I had all the issues of it at the time, although I've no idea where they are now. It'd be good to read through them all again.

As for next season, bluster about winning the league just doesn't sit right as a Queens fan. I'd certainly like to think we'll be one of the leading contenders though - in the mix at least. Less than that would be failure in my opinion.

I agree with doonhameronthedon that the Queens zines were entertaining - although crude - and gave voice to a very disgruntled fan group. The middle age fans will remember this bleak time well. Our support was smaller then and some of the crowds were much worse than even now . I would like to think the stature of Qos and expectation have grown since then .-----------I was at the Ally McLeod night and SD would be present as well. Ally got rapturous applause when going on stage and also when making some anti Willie Harkness statements . The local press covered this night I recall

Edited by JRS LEFT PEG