The Queen of the South thread

2 minutes ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

We have a player SCOUT?  This is news to me.  I know we have,  or did have,  a match analyser who goes to watch the following game's  opposition and submits a report to the Manager. If this still happens the Manager is obviously getting inadequate reports or is not acting on them properly. 

Just says scout in his twitter bio, I imagine the latter description that you mentioned is what he does each week but was curious to whether he ever had a say in things. But I don't presume much will matter in current affairs, last thing on there mind will be transfer dealings with more pressing matters of the trap door looming. Got to keep the faith, I don't see us being inferior to any of the teams in the league below over two legs if play offs was to happen (if automatic relegation is avoided).

2 hours ago, nomad said:

Let's face it, it's going to be someone desperate or a bored former colleague. If the remit runs across an agents desk it isn't going to look too interesting. Something like 'Scottish Championship team requires assistant manager. Fixed term 8 week contract with definite slim chance of a longer deal. Understanding of the George Graham style of attritional defending essential. Working knowledge of League 1 football a distinct advantage!'

If only we could defend like George Graham`s Arsenal. We may aspire to but we absolutely don`t do so.

6 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

And suffered a points penalty.

Indeed. I`d forgotten that. 2 point deduction plus £100 fine for fielding an ineligible player.

We managed the biggest home defeat in the league that season QOS 0 Kilmarnock 6.

The biggest away defeat Falkirk 7 QOS 1.

These 2 defeats were on successive Saturdays (the penultimate and final games of the season) :o

Featured in the match with the biggest aggregate The above Falkirk match (Raith also beat Partick Thistle 5-3 that season)

Featured in the highest scoring draw QOS 3 Clyde 3. (Clydebank and Airdrieonians (old) also drew 3-3 that season.

Remarkably despite a dismal season I think our longest run of league defeats was 5 games so would have to look elsewhere for a run to equal or surpass the current one (7 league defeats, 8 defeats including Aberdeen cup game).  Even including cup games in that season it doesn`t look like we manged such a run of defeats. What a depressing stat.

I`m sure someone will know. 

Edit to add our Goal Difference was -61 but we at least managed to avoid conceding 100 league goals (99 :lol:). FFS 

Further edit to change current run to 7 league defeats and 1 cup game not 6 plus 1 as I originally posted. Thanks Monkey Tennis :thumsup2

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

On 3/11/2019 at 11:20, 19QOS19 said:

Probably not as he would have been happy with 1-0 wins and his philosophy certainly appeared to be defence first. I don't think AJ was the main reason behind that season though. I reckon the vast majority of Queens fans could see what our best line-up was and the young boys should have been playing far earlier than they did. AJ just gave them their chance but were there really any supporters thinking it was "crazy" or "risky" playing so many youngsters? No.

The Arbroath game when he went 3-3-3 showed just how much better our players were. Arbroath were on a great run at the time and we blew them out of the water with 10 men. Lets not kid on that was down to great management.

I'd say that's still been his greatest achievement to date and he's been a flop at a higher level. So for all it was good at the time, I think folk need a wee bit of a reality check before they think he could be our saviour.

While I don't think he would've been the main reason behind your season he would've played a part, he came into us despite us finishing 7th in League One the season before he absolutely destroyed it, the "style" of football he plays is ideally suited to that division and having a full time squad. 

I can't see him being the man to get you out of the shite though. 

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Remarkably despite a dismal season I think our longest run of league defeats was 5 games so would have to look elsewhere for a run to equal or surpass the current one (6 league defeats, 7 defeats including Aberdeen cup game).  Even including cup games in that season it doesn`t look like we manged such a run of defeats. What a depressing stat.

Our run of league defeats stretches to 7 games.

The Cup win over Dundee (which I'm starting to think I must have dreamt) came after the first of them, at Partick Thistle.

5 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I would be surprised if we have ever had as bad a losing run in our long history - it takes a bit of doing!!

Indeed. In a league where the perceived wisdom is that anyone can beat anyone losing 7 on the spin is quite an "achievement" :o

Hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other. 

Of course this run may not be over :(

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Indeed. In a league where the perceived wisdom is that anyone can beat anyone losing 7 on the spin is quite an "achievement" :o

Hopefully someone can confirm one way or the other. 

Of course this run may not be over :(

An even more remarkable achievement when our team has featured a player who was (perhaps daftly but) genuinely being touted for a Scotland call up this season.

Another possibility is that we get relegated with a positive goal difference. We scud someone 5-0 and lose 4 games by a goal. And draw the other 3.

This is in addition to having the top scorer in Scottish football.

Did I hallucinate the 4-0 win over Ross C? It seems so long ago......

7 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

If only we could defend like George Graham`s Arsenal. We may aspire to but we absolutely don`t do so.

It wasn't as good as legend says. Being a nomad and watching local footie, I remember being at a game where he fielded 8 defenders against a (then) second division team in the cup. Lost 1-0 thanks to an 85th minute goal!!! Sound familiar?!

As an inspiring leader, been wondering what GN says in his team talks. This is the conversation I have in my mind between him and the players. Not that I am becoming increasingly cynical you understand.

GN 'Alan sit tight on the line. Daza Dicey sit deep. Marsh, Merce sit in. Ky, Doylie, Wils, Andy sit tight. Lyndon, sit in the hole. Dobs, sit anywhere. Won't make much difference. Jack, Conor, Grathy, Guiry, sit doon.'

Team' What you doin gaffer'

GN' Am sittin on ma hands until its too late'.

8 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Indeed. I`d forgotten that. 2 point deduction plus £100 I fine for fielding an ineligible player.

We managed the biggest home defeat in the league that season QOS 0 Kilmarnock 6.

The biggest away defeat Falkirk 7 QOS 1.

These 2 defeats were on successive Saturdays (the penultimate and final games of the season) :o

Featured in the match with the biggest aggregate The above Falkirk match (Raith also beat Partick Thistle 5-3 that season)

Featured in the highest scoring draw QOS 3 Clyde 3. (Clydebank and Airdrieonians (old) also drew 3-3 that season.

Remarkably despite a dismal season I think our longest run of league defeats was 5 games so would have to look elsewhere for a run to equal or surpass the current one (7 league defeats, 8 defeats including Aberdeen cup game).  Even including cup games in that season it doesn`t look like we manged such a run of defeats. What a depressing stat.

I`m sure someone will know. 

Edit to add our Goal Difference was -61 but we at least managed to avoid conceding 100 league goals (99 :lol:). FFS 

Further edit to change current run to 7 league defeats and 1 cup game not 6 plus 1 as I originally posted. Thanks Monkey Tennis :thumsup2

That 7-1 game was maybe my fifth or sixth Falkirk game. I can't remember anything about it , I was 7. I think Falkirk also got deducted points that season for playing Vince Mennie when he was ineligible. I could be talking shite though . 

Edited by Swordfishtrombone
I was talking shite, I think Forfar got deducted points for fielding Mennie after he moved there from Falkirk.

Guest Flash
6 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I would be surprised if we have ever had as bad a losing run in our long history - it takes a bit of doing!!

Naysmith’s first game in charge was on Tuesday 6 December 2016 against St.Mirren which was our 7th defeat in a row.

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

Naysmith’s first game in charge was on Tuesday 6 December 2016 against St.Mirren which was our 7th defeat in a row.

Yes, right enough.  We were in freefall then too, having that time started really well.

How many did we lose under Skelton, before there were a few under Thomson, including the Albion Rovers game that cost us a Celtic cup tie?

Was that seventh defeat the final one?  I remember a couple of wins when the January loanees arrived, but presumably we arrested the run before then.  Did it just involve six league games?

Incredible that this feels so unprecedented, yet something similar happened very recently.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, right enough.  We were in freefall then too, having that time started really well.

How many did we lose under Skelton, before there were a few under Thomson, including the Albion Rovers game that cost us a Celtic cup tie?

Was that seventh defeat the final one?  I remember a couple of wins when the January loanees arrived, but presumably we arrested the run before then.  Did it just involved six league games?

Incredible that this feels so unprecedented, yet something similar happened very recently.

We drew our next league game 2-2 at Falkirk