The Queen of the South thread

10 hours ago, BIGdavieT said:

I think some people reading too much into the Gibson signing. He’s staff anyway why not get him on the books as backup

I suspect you are probably right but at the minute the squad is nowhere near complete never mind having the luxury of "backup".  Also hyping it up on social media probably didn't help either.  It may have been better at the end of the "meet the reserves" feature to have one on Gibson and mention then that he is going to be signing on as a player to provide cover and experience to our young squad.  The way it has been reported makes it seem like he is going to be an integral part of the team.  I don't think it is wrong for that to be setting off alarm bells if it proves to be the case.

To end on a semi-positive, I'm delighted he is involved with the reserves again this year, and fully support the decision to run a reserve team.  I just really hope his time on the pitch for the first team is limited as it will either suggest we've an injury crisis, or have signed a rancid threadbare squad.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him stepping up to interim manager at some point as well when Johnston inevitably gets the boot.

1 minute ago, palmy_cammy said:

I suspect you are probably right but at the minute the squad is nowhere near complete never mind having the luxury of "backup".  Also hyping it up on social media probably didn't help either.  It may have been better at the end of the "meet the reserves" feature to have one on Gibson and mention then that he is going to be signing on as a player to provide cover and experience to our young squad.  The way it has been reported makes it seem like he is going to be an integral part of the team.  I don't think it is wrong for that to be setting off alarm bells if it proves to be the case.

To end on a semi-positive, I'm delighted he is involved with the reserves again this year, and fully support the decision to run a reserve team.  I just really hope his time on the pitch for the first team is limited as it will either suggest we've an injury crisis, or have signed a rancid threadbare squad.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him stepping up to interim manager at some point as well when Johnston inevitably gets the boot.

I 100% expect him to be the next manager when AJ eventually leaves. 

I don't know why but I just expected Gibson or Paton to be signed for next season. If I had to choose between the two then I'd rather take a punt on Gibson in the hope he can still put in one or two decent shifts. Paton is done, Gibson will either be the same or will do a half decent job. But rather take him on in the hope the latter is true as we know we wont get that from Paton.

If Paton signs for next season then it'll be at that point I become very very worried.

I don't know why but I just expected Gibson or Paton to be signed for next season. If I had to choose between the two then I'd rather take a punt on Gibson in the hope he can still put in one or two decent shifts. Paton is done, Gibson will either be the same or will do a half decent job. But rather take him on in the hope the latter is true as we know we wont get that from Paton.

If Paton signs for next season then it'll be at that point I become very very worried.

I fully expected Gibson to sign for months and while I get it, he’s on the clubs wage bill already etc probably do as well as Paton or Kidd did in same position last season, it’s massively underwhelming when Ayr sign Joe Chalmers from Ross County and Dundee albeit with help sign Charlie Adam.

I fully expected Gibson to sign for months and while I get it, he’s on the clubs wage bill already etc probably do as well as Paton or Kidd did in same position last season, it’s massively underwhelming when Ayr sign Joe Chalmers from Ross County and Dundee albeit with help sign Charlie Adam.
I'm not blown away by him signing, more that I'd rather him than Paton and it was always going to be one of them.

The reality is until such times as we get a major investment we're always going to be in the market for lower class players sadly.

Yeah I do agree that the Gibson signing was hyped up a bit too much on social media and probably contributed to the negativity surrounding it! 

I still think he will be backup unless he somehow pulls something out of the bag - and if he does nobody will be complaining. He was a great player a few years back.

Maybe I'm a little too nostalgic but if Carmichael is fit I would be delighted to see him back also.

As we all know, we are not able to compete in the top half financially so the only way we will is if we uncover some rough diamonds. Be that youth or players we thought were 'past it.'

Edited by BIGdavieT

Quite a lot of negative posts along the lines of "where is all the Dykes money" and "Ayr have signed ____"

I don't live in the UK but from what I can see in the news I would be more concerned about the club's ability to survive if we have to play most of the season behind closed doors with no paying fans in attendance. If there was ever a time to be cautious financially; this is it. I wonder if some of the clubs who have signed 'impressively' up till now have budgeted for such a situation. 

Obviously we don't want a situation where the board use the pandemic as an excuse to hoard cash, and if they appeared to be it would do more harm than good anyway. But caution is required. I will be amazed if we see fans in Palmerston at the start of the season, if infections are completely out of control again the season itself may be under threat of postponement or cancellation. And if that happens will all the clubs in Scotland even survive?!

12 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

And folk think we'll struggle next season 8)

it was threave ,walk in the park friendly match ,unless queens sign 4 or 5 more decent quality players yes queens should find it difficult in the championship this season ,who were the trialists that played for queens in the game .