The Queen of the South thread

That's a hugely frustrating result. A win today and we've have been pretty much safe at 8 points ahead of both Arbroath and Morton with only 6 games to go.

Sadly we're only 2 points ahead of Morton (and Ayr) and 5 ahead of Arbroath.

Our remaining fixtures are Hearts (away), Raith (away), ICT (home), Dunfermline (away), Ayr (away) and Dundee (home).

While accepting past performance no guarantee of future returns we took a measly 3 points from that set of fixtures earlier in the season. 

Hopeful news about Jones above. I suspect we're going to need him. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

7 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Positive news

What a loss Jones has been still think he will be a few weeks away .We are going through the motions just now far too many players who are not giving anywhere near 100% but will still play every week .

Time for a few changes but has AJ the balls to make them .

While a top 4 finish for us was always going to be a long shot in my naivety I actually thought we might enjoy a relatively stress free mid table berth. It is so like Queens to lose the Alloa match just when everybody is starting to believe and then inevitably follow up with a truly insipid defeat to a much hungrier Morton side. Looking at the table “the ball is well and truly up on the slates” and with our poor goal difference we simply cannot afford one of our traditional season end slumps. A trip to Tynecastle is hardly the most hospitable venue and I suspect the table will look a lot worse after Saturday.

Guest Flash
14 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

That's a hugely frustrating result. A win today and we've have been pretty much safe at 8 points ahead of both Arbroath and Morton with only 6 games to go.

Sadly we're only 2 points ahead of Morton (and Ayr) and 5 ahead of Arbroath.

Our remaining fixtures are Hearts (away), Raith (away), ICT (home), Dunfermline (away), Ayr (away) and Dundee (home).

While accepting past performance no guarantee of future returns we took a measly 3 points from that set of fixtures earlier in the season. 

Hopeful news about Jones above. I suspect we're going to need him. 

The Raith game is at home.  So, we took an even more measly zero points from that set of fixtures first time round.

30 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

So it is. Even then worse then.
Obviously it’s a new set of fixtures but as RJC says above we really need to avoid our traditional shit run in.

We must make changes to the team far too many  are just not doing enough but they still play every week .

Morton wanted to win the game more than us all playing for the new manager we  offered nothing .

Take McCabe offered nothing yet will still play next week that can't happen players need to no that play poor they will not play the next week.

Why did we sign Dickson give him 30 mins at Arbroath then forget him he must have something if Rangers have offered him a new contract .

We have played the 3 weakest teams in the run in already only picking up 3 points so things not looking good right now .

Really annoyed from yesterday's game. Where is AJ plan B. We have 2 small forwards and everyone we got the ball we pumped it high. Our goal can from playing down channels the a couple of good passed and a good goal. Mccabe Ayo and McGrory are all good with the ball at their feet so why always long. Shields and Mebude hardly had a sniff all game. We needed to stretch them out wide but we never did it. Bad goalkeeping for first goal and slack East pass and Willie to far forward and we get caught on break. If we want to pump the ball forward and play off second balls then play someone up there with that presence. Nesbitt had the freedom of the park we know he's their danger man but no one  pick him up. Dobbie came on and did not look interested at all. Fitzpatrick given last 5 minutes to help get a point come on. AJ got praise for the run the team went on but we are only 5 points above the relegation play off now. Are the club waiting to see were we finish before deciding on AJ future. Are we going to sign some of these players for next year. Shields knocked back a new deal and Pybus wants to move on. We don't want to have to sign a total new team again next year. I never thought seriously about the promotion play off so yesterday's game was a big one for me and we failed miserably. So annoyed.

Really annoyed from yesterday's game. Where is AJ plan B. We have 2 small forwards and everyone we got the ball we pumped it high. Our goal can from playing down channels the a couple of good passed and a good goal. Mccabe Ayo and McGrory are all good with the ball at their feet so why always long. Shields and Mebude hardly had a sniff all game. We needed to stretch them out wide but we never did it. Bad goalkeeping for first goal and slack East pass and Willie to far forward and we get caught on break. If we want to pump the ball forward and play off second balls then play someone up there with that presence. Nesbitt had the freedom of the park we know he's their danger man but no one  pick him up. Dobbie came on and did not look interested at all. Fitzpatrick given last 5 minutes to help get a point come on. AJ got praise for the run the team went on but we are only 5 points above the relegation play off now. Are the club waiting to see were we finish before deciding on AJ future. Are we going to sign some of these players for next year. Shields knocked back a new deal and Pybus wants to move on. We don't want to have to sign a total new team again next year. I never thought seriously about the promotion play off so yesterday's game was a big one for me and we failed miserably. So annoyed.
Think it's harsh blaming the GK for the first. McCabe is at the front post, surely to deal with that type of ball. He gets completely caught out by it and takes the blame for me. Harsh on Dobbie. It's hard to look interested when you're getting absolutely no service.

The contract discussion seems to feature every season. I think we all know by now we'll be a last resort for a lot of players. The ones who have a good season for us aren't going to accept a deal early on incase a better offer comes from a bigger club. Ayo and Shields fit that criteria and I doubt they'll sign for us any time soon, if at all.

This wont change unless we come into money or we start having major success via a youth system.

1 hour ago, stevie72 said:

So, the  club have tried to sign two players but your ITK knowledge is that they've turned the club down, but its the clubs fault they havent signed players for next year?

And, we conceded two goals from individual errors and no-one picked up Nesbitt in the midfield but its AJs fault we lost?

Given your pretty regular criticism of Johnston I guess theres one player who isnt getting new contract next season :rolleyes:

41 minutes ago, Mr X said:

So, the  club have tried to sign two players but your ITK knowledge is that they've turned the club down, but its the clubs fault they havent signed players for next year?

And, we conceded two goals from individual errors and no-one picked up Nesbitt in the midfield but its AJs fault we lost?

Given your pretty regular criticism of Johnston I guess theres one player who isnt getting new contract next season :rolleyes:

48 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I just see other teams in our division preparing for next year and I would like us to do the same. AJ needs good performance s so he gets a new contract also. I want us to do well. 

The instructions the manager gives players dictate our games. Was no one told to pick up Nesbitt? That's what I was asking.  

I also did not say we offered Pybus a new deal he was one of the players we kept from last season. He is a well thought off player and will probably get the move he wants. Shields was always going to wait until the summer after the season he has had. 

I listened to AJ 's interview after my post he was not happy withe players so maybe instructions were not followed. 

The manager must make sure his instructions are followed that what makes a good or bad manager and he must be able to get the players up for it I can't imagine a team talk from AJ that would do that .

Really - so how do you account for the great run that we delivered from pre Xmas into March. Are you seriously suggesting the Manager takes no credit from that? One presumes that the players must “have been up for it” during the winning period?

It was a dreadful performance yesterday but we are talking about FT professional footballers.Firstly, they have to motivate themselves - if they can’t be bothered working hard and doing the ugly side no amount of shouting and cajoling will make any difference. I think there are a few players who should be dropped after yesterday and that is a good way to reinforce the message that our great run is behind us - we really need to kick start another one or find ourselves in a late season relegation battle.

Let’s not blame the Manager for yesterday - he picked the team most of us would have picked and made changes when it wasn’t working. The players themselves went through the motions and simply didn’t perform. That is where the blame lies I’m afraid.

Really - so how do you account for the great run that we delivered from pre Xmas into March. Are you seriously suggesting the Manager takes no credit from that? One presumes that the players must “have been up for it” during the winning period?

It was a dreadful performance yesterday but we are talking about FT professional footballers.Firstly, they have to motivate themselves - if they can’t be bothered working hard and doing the ugly side no amount of shouting and cajoling will make any difference. I think there are a few players who should be dropped after yesterday and that is a good way to reinforce the message that our great run is behind us - we really need to kick start another one or find ourselves in a late season relegation battle.

Let’s not blame the Manager for yesterday - he picked the team most of us would have picked and made changes when it wasn’t working. The players themselves went through the motions and simply didn’t perform. That is where the blame lies I’m afraid.
I agree he wasn't to blame for the result yesterday. He didn't make changes when it was required though. That midfield should have been shaken up long before the 75th minute.

Fair enough he picked the team I would have gone with yesterday, but it was clear early on that our midfielders were being pressed quickly and crowded out by Morton's 5 man midfield and as such we resorted to hoofball.  Our good run has been based on playing one particular style against sides set up in a 4-4-2.  When we came up against something different yesterday we looked totally devoid of ideas and AJ was slow to adapt. 

If Dapo has played his last game I'd like to see Dobbie given a start against Hearts.  I'd also like to see what Dickson and McKechnie could bring to the team but those two guys seem to have been somewhat frozen out which is odd considering the amount of gametime the ineffective Fitzpatrick gets.

ETA - never thought I'd say this, but we've really missed Pybus in the last couple of games.

Edited by Slipmat

Fair enough he picked the team I would have gone with yesterday, but it was clear early on that our midfielders were being pressed quickly and crowded out by Morton's 5 man midfield and as such we resorted to hoofball.  Our good run has been based on playing one particular style against sides set up in a 4-4-2.  When we came up against something different yesterday we looked totally devoid of ideas and AJ was slow to adapt. 
If Dapo has played his last game I'd like to see Dobbie given a start against Hearts.  I'd also like to see what Dickson and McKechnie could bring to the team but those two guys seem to have been somewhat frozen out which is odd considering the amount of gametime the ineffective Fitzpatrick gets.
ETA - never thought I'd say this, but we've really missed Pybus in the last couple of games.

I hate to say it but I’m not sure that many of our opponents will worry too much if Dobbie starts up front against them. Still to score a league goal from open play this season and worse than that he hasn’t really looked like scoring too often either. This league has become so physical that the only way we can play to Dobbie’s strengths is if we dominate possession and get him on the ball in the final third. It would be great to think that we can dominate the ball but in almost every game our front players have been “working their socks off” chasing shadows and living off scraps. Dobbie needs a partner to be effective and the fear is if we open up better teams may cut us open at will.

I agree on Dickson - would play him. Midfield deserves to be changed after Saturdays poor showing.

36 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I hate to say it but I’m not sure that many of our opponents will worry too much if Dobbie starts up front against them. Still to score a league goal from open play this season and worse than that he hasn’t really looked like scoring too often either. This league has become so physical that the only way we can play to Dobbie’s strengths is if we dominate possession and get him on the ball in the final third. It would be great to think that we can dominate the ball but in almost every game our front players have been “working their socks off” chasing shadows and living off scraps. Dobbie needs a partner to be effective and the fear is if we open up better teams may cut us open at will.

I agree on Dickson - would play him. Midfield deserves to be changed after Saturdays poor showing.

When is Pybus due back? 

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

When is Pybus due back? 

We never seem to get a proper update on our injured players .

Sometimes Finlay asks on a Saturday but this week he was all about Ayo goal celebration .

Jones Pybus Nortey and McKee are any close to coming back 

Nortey he seems to have disappeared never any mention of him 

We could do with Pybus being back now Dapo will likely be gone but we never appeared to miss him the 4 games before that.