The Queen of the South thread

I am not bored with winning as such . Its just that a lot of home games seem to have the same script i.e the away team digs in , defending deep before collapsing round about the hour ( or so ) mark. If we manage to keep most of this season's side and management team of course, then we could well be in for some serious entertainment. First Division sides will come at us and we will return favour . I fancy us to do rather well

Get yourself to the New Bazaar or even the Devorgilla Roker. A lot of good Queens drink in both with the older crowd in the Bazaar and the younger lot in the Devorgilla .

Does not sound like a real ale bar!!

We went to Annan v Stirling Albion earlier in the season and the hospitality there was first rate. Fans of both sides were superb and its left us looking to go to a lot more Scottish games. I have been up to Dumfries and Galloway in the past and I know its a lovely part of the world (I even had 2 holidays up there in my teens), so I am really looking forward to another visit.

Strange how you're leaving out Nicky Clark who has almost scored 30 this year, has came on leaps and bounds and is now able to beat players. Shows how good the rest of the team has been though.

Aye but it's a well known fact that he's only in the team because his Dad is Assistant Manager. :P

Hello Doonhamers.

Myself and three fellow Sunderland fans are looking at making one of our occasional raids into enemy territory for your home game v East Fife on Saturday 27th April. Sunderland are away to Aston Villa that day which is not one of our favourite away days. Plan will be to book into the travel lodge and head up there by car early morning and spend the whole day in Dumfries and take in the game.

I have a few questions. I don't suppose there is any chance of the game getting moved from that date ,TV or cup ties etc? plus we like a pint of real ale or ten and I noticed online that there is (Or was) a Dumfries real ale trail with about 12 pubs. Any advice on where to drink before and after the game would be welcome, plus what's the town like for a Saturday night out? We are not fussy, I used to drink on Gateshead high street, so my standards are not high!!, just wondered if there will be anywhere with a bit of atmosphere where 4 forty something real ale drinking footy fans would fit in, or maybe somewhere with live music?

Cheers in advance and all the best for the rest of the season, not that it looks like you need any luck mind judging by the league table.

The ground looks class by the way, love proper old fashioned grounds with proper floodlights. Will make a nice change from the soulless identikit all seater stadiums we are served up with in the hugely over hyped premier league.

Make sure you get to the ground good and early! Last time Palmerston hosted a championship party it was packed to the rafters and the queues at the turnstyles were predictably huge.

As for pubs: Pleuchies (Annan Road) and Greens (St Michael's Street) are decent, in addition to the ones already mentioned.

Hello Doonhamers.

Myself and three fellow Sunderland fans are looking at making one of our occasional raids into enemy territory for your home game v East Fife on Saturday 27th April. Sunderland are away to Aston Villa that day which is not one of our favourite away days. Plan will be to book into the travel lodge and head up there by car early morning and spend the whole day in Dumfries and take in the game.

I have a few questions. I don't suppose there is any chance of the game getting moved from that date ,TV or cup ties etc? plus we like a pint of real ale or ten and I noticed online that there is (Or was) a Dumfries real ale trail with about 12 pubs. Any advice on where to drink before and after the game would be welcome, plus what's the town like for a Saturday night out? We are not fussy, I used to drink on Gateshead high street, so my standards are not high!!, just wondered if there will be anywhere with a bit of atmosphere where 4 forty something real ale drinking footy fans would fit in, or maybe somewhere with live music?

For real ale definitely try the Tam O'Shanter on Queensberry Street, The Ship Inn on St.Michaels street, The Caven's Arms on Buccleuch St. and the New Bazzar on the Whitesands. The Bazzar is always full of Queens fans pre match as well.

Saturday nights are always busy. For later on I'd recommend Broon's and the Queensberry both on English street if cask ale is

essential. If not then Greens on St.Michael's street is also worth a visit as is the Hole I' The Wa on the High street . I wouldn't recommend any of the night clubs unless your very inebriated!

Hello Doonhamers.

Cheers in advance and all the best for the rest of the season, not that it looks like you need any luck mind judging by the league table.

The ground looks class by the way, love proper old fashioned grounds with proper floodlights. Will make a nice change from the soulless identikit all seater stadiums we are served up with in the hugely over hyped premier league.

There is absolutely no chance of the game being moved for any reason. It's our last home game of the season, neither ourselves nor East Fife are still in the Scottish Cup and even if we were it isn't Scottish Cup weekend and there's no tv deal for the SFL (except for occasional Rangers games).

It is likely to be the day when the League trophy is presented, presuming we go on to clinch the title. It may therefore have a relatively big crowd but nothing like the 6,000 that turned up the last time we won it. Could easily be 2,000 - 2,500 though.

Nothing to add to what others have said regarding the local pubs, although worth mentioning as it's the last home game it will also be our Player of the Year night so there may be a lot of Queens fans / players about later on.

Official Queens news - Steven Black is away to Annan for a month. Hopefully he can get some games just in case we need him for the cup final.

Dont think he will get a start at the final now, surely if he was to get a starting eleven place he would have been introduced into the team over the next few weeks to get familiar with the players.

Yeh, I can work that bit out but I was thinking he wasn't being considered as getting loaned to another team. Could be wrong of course . The good thing is that he can come back match fit after competitive league games . The downside is that he will be playing with and maybe training with other players .

I'd imagine the game time will do him the world of good. The boy has talent, just has a tough job of dislodging the Durns and Higgins partnership. I hoping once the league is sewn up, he'll get a few more run outs.

Does not sound like a real ale bar!!

We went to Annan v Stirling Albion earlier in the season and the hospitality there was first rate. Fans of both sides were superb and its left us looking to go to a lot more Scottish games. I have been up to Dumfries and Galloway in the past and I know its a lovely part of the world (I even had 2 holidays up there in my teens), so I am really looking forward to another visit.

The Devorgilla Lounge Bar on Market Square, only a few minutes walk from the ground, is also worth a visit.

It is fairly busy on match days as there is a "loyalty card" scheme valid between 1-7pm match days where you buy 4 drinks and you get your 5th one free!!!! :)

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186513-c50916/Dumfries:United-Kingdom:Pubs.In.Dumfries.html

Edited by Mustafa_sheet

I'd imagine the game time will do him the world of good. The boy has talent, just has a tough job of dislodging the Durns and Higgins partnership. I hoping once the league is sewn up, he'll get a few more run outs.

He'll go straight in to Annan's squad to face "the Newco" at Ibrox on Saturday. Talk about a baptism of fire.

Good news at Palmerston as Mark Blount joins the board of directors, his father Norman is past chairman and the family have always supported the queens. Mark Robertson operational director to step down at end of season as planned, after helping the club through 2 hard years financially.