The Queen of the South thread

7 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I wish the person responsible would amend the "next fixture" info on the OS., still got EK on there.

That's almost ahead of its time.

The Lochfield Road sign still advertises our upcoming fixture in early May against Kelty.  Just saying.

3 minutes ago, DoonhamerDon said:

Fixtures are out https://spfl.co.uk/league/league-one/fixtures

Alloa (H) opening day, then Edinburgh (A) and Annan (H)

Seems a reasonable opening few fixtures but after last year's shambolic opener I'm not going to take anything for granted at all.

Tasty early season derby that.

Think that's a good opening fixture. I reckon Alloa will be right in the playoff mix again this season so it'll be a good marker to see where we are right off the bat. A couple of 'relegation candidates' in there as well so we could be feeling content by the end of August or really concerned again. 

IMG-20230630-WA0000.jpg

10 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Think that's a good opening fixture. I reckon Alloa will be right in the playoff mix again this season so it'll be a good marker to see where we are right off the bat. A couple of 'relegation candidates' in there as well so we could be feeling content by the end of August or really concerned again. 

IMG-20230630-WA0000.jpg

On paper good chance to get points on board, but similar feeling last year so apprehensive to get ahead of ourselves. 

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

IMG-20230630-WA0000.jpg

I tend to look first at the end of season. If we're anywhere near in the mix for it come season's end that's a decent finish. Three home, two away and neither Falkirk nor Hamilton in there.

Not remotely surprised at the Annan games. We were always likely to get the first home one and the festive one due to the relative sizes of the grounds I think, not that we're likely to sell Annan out anyway but still.

At the end of the day though, fixtures can be any order they want to be, our job is to win more than we lose!

Edited by Skyline Drifter

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

IMG-20230630-WA0000.jpg

I think we will take a while to get going ,difficult one for us and no Mciver to break your hearts 😉

4 minutes ago, Vegetableman said:

I think we will take a while to get going ,difficult one for us and no Mciver to break your hearts 😉

Just now, Vegetableman said:

take a draw now , will be interesting to see how you guys are , new manager bounce  or much improved  ?

I hate Alloa fans and their false modesty that they'll struggle to get a result against us 😏

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

I hate Alloa fans and their false modesty that they'll struggle to get a result against us 😏

Honestly i think we will take a while to settle ,whole new defence barr Taggart and you lot seem to have improved , would have preffered a home game to start .

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

Honestly i think we will take a while to settle ,whole new defence barr Taggart and you lot seem to have improved , would have preffered a home game to start .

Think we're in the same boat tbh. I doubt we'll hit the ground running (obviously hope I'm completely wrong) and think it'll be a slow burn. I just hope we kick into gear in plenty of time to at least reach the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, Vegetableman said:

I’d would suggest it’s a push to say we’ve improved - we’ve lost our main goal threat and certainly haven’t signed an adequate replacement!

3 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

I’d would suggest it’s a push to say we’ve improved - we’ve lost our main goal threat and certainly haven’t signed an adequate replacement!

I think it's fair to say we simply don't know. Paton's a loss of course but he was always going to be. Anyone who thought we'd any chance of keeping hold of him another year was in cuckoo land really. Bartley certainly improved us organisationally and fitness wise and our last quarter was as good as anybody's outside of Dunfermline but there's been a fair bit of change. There are a lot of new players in the squad.

That said, of the actual starting eleven we largely played in the back quarter of last season we've lost, Paton, Dabrowski, Hendrie and probably East, though he still has an offer on the table and I've not heard he's actually training anywhere else yet. He was at our game on Saturday past. Johnson should be a good replacement for Dabrowski and Church for Hendrie. It remains to be seen if McClelland is better than East (he certainly won't be as versatile). Whether the returning Gavin Reilly or Kyle Doherty can provide the goals we got from Paton is a far longer shot though.

It's a young squad. Ideally I'd like to see an experienced organiser type centre back added, and if we're being greedy a goalscorer, but everyone apart from Montrose, and maybe Stirling and Annan, is looking for one of those. I don't think we're all that far away.

26 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I think it's fair to say we simply don't know. Paton's a loss of course but he was always going to be. Anyone who thought we'd any chance of keeping hold of him another year was in cuckoo land really. Bartley certainly improved us organisationally and fitness wise and our last quarter was as good as anybody's outside of Dunfermline but there's been a fair bit of change. There are a lot of new players in the squad.

That said, of the actual starting eleven we largely played in the back quarter of last season we've lost, Paton, Dabrowski, Hendrie and probably East, though he still has an offer on the table and I've not heard he's actually training anywhere else yet. He was at our game on Saturday past. Johnson should be a good replacement for Dabrowski and Church for Hendrie. It remains to be seen if McClelland is better than East (he certainly won't be as versatile). Whether the returning Gavin Reilly or Kyle Doherty can provide the goals we got from Paton is a far longer shot though.

It's a young squad. Ideally I'd like to see an experienced organiser type centre back added, and if we're being greedy a goalscorer, but everyone apart from Montrose, and maybe Stirling and Annan, is looking for one of those. I don't think we're all that far away.

I think we’ll certainly be more organised than we were last season prior to Bartley arriving but the squad does really look powderpuff on paper when it comes to goals - who knows for sure until the competitive action starts though! I presume there’s still some signings to be made so my pessimism may yet be dampened.

On the face of it this is a decent fixture draw.  We could have done worse.

In terms of the squad assembled so far however.  I'm sure that we'll be better organised than we were in the 1st half of last season (maybe not too difficult 🙂).  I think that last season we were too easily bullied on too many occasions, and I don't see anyone in there providing the necessary steel.  It's a young squad, and ideally I'd like to see a bit more experience added.