The Queen of the South thread

Dapo Mebude is rumoured to be training with us. I know he was a young lad when on loan but is he likely to be good enough to play top end Championship football. What's his best position, number 9, 10 or out on the wing. Finally has he got pace. It also says he's 6ft 2 but also looks like he is about 5ft 10.

5 minutes ago, raith1974 said:

Dapo Mebude is rumoured to be training with us. I know he was a young lad when on loan but is he likely to be good enough to play top end Championship football. What's his best position, number 9, 10 or out on the wing. Finally has he got pace. It also says he's 6ft 2 but also looks like he is about 5ft 10.

I didn't see too much of him, but you could see there was a player there.  My only real recollection is that he was a wee bit greedy and didn't always release the ball when others were better placed.  Liked to take defenders on but maybe too keen for the Hollywood finish.  That could have been coached out of him by now though - he was only young and still learning the game.  Did he not go out and party during Covid lockdown with some of his Ibrox pals?  Think I also heard that he'd been involved in a bad car accident - if so, good to hear that the lad has made a good recovery.  Don't recall him being 6ft 2in though - thought he was a fairly wee guy.  My memory is utter guff though these days.  I'd have him back at Palmy in L1 in a heartbeat though - but I think he's a cut above our level now.

1 hour ago, raith1974 said:

He played mainly on the wing for us I'm sure. Though did have some up top if I'm not mistaken. We had Izzy Jones on loan at the same time and he made RM/RWB his own when he was fit. He's absolutely rapid but he didn't have much in the way of end product tbh. 

No idea how he'll be now and hopefully he's matured off the pitch as well. I can't remind exactly what it was now but something happened when he was with us that didn't show him in a good light. 

Potential is there. Possibly needs the right manager to get it out of him. 

3 hours ago, raith1974 said:

He likes to play monopoly. 

Edited by MazzyStar

2 hours ago, raith1974 said:

I think he was mainly played as a left winger with Izzy Jones on the right and Connor Shields down the middle.  That said, he couldn't hold down a place in the starting XI.  He has pace but as said above is a bit greedy and certainly not as good as he was made out to be or possibly thinks he is.  Scored one goal from about a foot away from the goal-line if I recall.  He was with us in the "George Galloway" covid season so I haven't a clue how tall he was as I only saw him on livestreams.  Certainly didn't look over 6ft though.  Earlier this year I read that he had crashed his Merc and was in a coma for five days.  

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

No idea how he'll be now and hopefully he's matured off the pitch as well. I can't remind exactly what it was now but something happened when he was with us that didn't show him in a good light. 

Did he not do a Boris and go out partying during lockdown or something with a gang of other Rangers neds youth players?  I seem to remember us terminating his loan deal after learning about such tomfoolery, but may be wrong.

Edited by Slipmat

2 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Did he not do a Boris and go out partying during lockdown or something with a gang of other Rangers neds youth players?

I'm sure something happened behind the scenes but can't for the life of me think what it was. I have fighting with a team mate in my head but don't take my word for it as I may be misremembering! 

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

I'm sure something happened behind the scenes but can't for the life of me think what it was. I have fighting with a team mate in my head but don't take my word for it as I may be misremembering! 

Aye you could be right there.  Memory is a bit foggy about what happened.  Whatever it was, we cancelled his loan deal because of it after Rangers suspended him.

20 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Aye you could be right there.  Memory is a bit foggy about what happened.  Whatever it was, we cancelled his loan deal because of it after Rangers suspended him.

I thought he left early but again wasn't sure if I was misremembering. 

12 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I thought he left early but again wasn't sure if I was misremembering. 

I might be getting him confused with Ciaran Dickson who was with us at around the same time and was sent packing under a cloud.

41 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Did he not do a Boris and go out partying during lockdown or something with a gang of other Rangers neds youth players?  I seem to remember us terminating his loan deal after learning about such tomfoolery, but may be wrong.

Your memory is reliable. He was one of a group of five Rangers players (albeit he was on loan at Queens at the time) banned for six games by the SFA after a Covid-19 rule breach.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/12220762/rangers-confirm-five-players-broke-coronavirus-rules

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/12260075/rangers-five-players-banned-for-six-games-by-scottish-fa-for-breaching-covid-19-regulations

Edited by Frankie S

Just now, Frankie S said:

Your memory is reliable. He was one of a group of five Rangers players (albeit he was on loan at Queens at the time) banned for six games by the SFA after a Covid-29 rule breach.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/12220762/rangers-confirm-five-players-broke-coronavirus-rules

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11788/12260075/rangers-five-players-banned-for-six-games-by-scottish-fa-for-breaching-covid-19-regulations

Thanks for clearing that up!  It must have been Dickson whose loan was terminated owing to his training ground shenanigans. 

23 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I might be getting him confused with Ciaran Dickson who was with us at around the same time and was sent packing under a cloud.

I think it was those two who had the bust up! 

5 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

I don't think Dickson will be signing for anyone any time soon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-68316673

Was told he was a wrong un when he signed for us. Even before the bust up! Apparently the family are 'well known'. Wasn't surprised when I read that, unfortunately. 

Re Dickson, I think he was playing when we won 3-2 at Tynecastle? In the handful of games he played for us, you could see potential. What a waste…….

Just now, QOSQOS said:

Re Dickson, I think he was playing when we won 3-2 at Tynecastle? In the handful of games he played for us, you could see potential. What a waste…….

And I have to add utterly tragic for the teenager that died.

18 hours ago, Slipmat said:

I think he was mainly played as a left winger with Izzy Jones on the right and Connor Shields down the middle.  That said, he couldn't hold down a place in the starting XI.  He has pace but as said above is a bit greedy and certainly not as good as he was made out to be or possibly thinks he is.  Scored one goal from about a foot away from the goal-line if I recall.  He was with us in the "George Galloway" covid season so I haven't a clue how tall he was as I only saw him on livestreams.  Certainly didn't look over 6ft though.  Earlier this year I read that he had crashed his Merc and was in a coma for five days.  

never saw Jones or Shields play for us but sure I saw Mebude or am I thinking of someone else?

1 hour ago, queenslad said:

never saw Jones or Shields play for us but sure I saw Mebude or am I thinking of someone else?

If you saw Mebude you almost definitely saw one of Shields or Jones. Shields was a mainstay as was Jones until his injury I'm sure.