The Queen of the South thread

23 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Here are another couple of teasers for y'all...

Who was the last player other than Dobbie to score 4 for Queens in a competitive match?

11 minutes ago, Dougie Mills said:

Was it Tommy Bryce for the 4 goals?

10 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Spot on!

I don't think that's correct. Pretty sure Andy Thomson scored 4 goals in a 4-4 draw at Forfar later that season.

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

I don't think that's correct. Pretty sure Andy Thomson scored 4 goals in a 4-4 draw at Forfar later that season.

Bryce scored 4 against Dumbarton in 1997, so a wee bit after Thomson went down south.

2 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Bryce scored 4 against Dumbarton in 1997, so a wee bit after Thomson went down south.

Good stat. Hadn't realised Tommy had done that twice.

I was assuming the 4 goals against Arbroath the week after we lost 8-3 at Forfar in the cup.

I bow to your superior knowledge.👍

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Just now, Distant Doonhamer said:

Good stat. Hadn't realised Tommy had done that twice.

I was assuming the 4 goals against Arbroath the week after we lost 8-3 at Forfar in the cup.

I bow to your superior knowledge.👍

I had to cheat and look through my records to be fair!

Hints for the other 3 questions...

Last player to score a competitive hat-trick for Queens in the 20th century:   ------ / ------

First of the 21st century:  ----- / ----------

Second of the 21st century:  ----- / -----

38 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

Here are another couple of teasers for y'all...

Who was the last player other than Dobbie to score 4 for Queens in a competitive match?

Who was the last hat-trick scorer for Queens in the 20th century?

And who scored the first of the 21st century?

Finally, and this one's a real toughie in my opinion, who scored the second competitive hat-trick for Queens this century?

Spoiler

Bryce as said already for last player to get 4.

Peter Weatherson got our last hat trick of the 20th century, on 14th October 2000, in a 4-2 home win over Stenhousemuir.

Craig Feroz got the first of the 21st century infamously on 9/11. (September 11th 2001 in a 3-0 League Cup win away to East Stirlingshire.

I couldn't find another one from then until Dobbie's famous perfect hat trick as a sub at Cappielow on 19th January 2008?

12 minutes ago, Slipmat said:

I had to cheat and look through my records to be fair!

Hints for the other 3 questions...

Last player to score a competitive hat-trick for Queens in the 20th century:   ------ / ------

First of the 21st century:  ----- / ----------

Second of the 21st century:  ----- / -----

Are you confusing your century end dates here?

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Are you confusing your century end dates here?

Ah, well I've taken the 21st century to start on 1 January 2000 so I suppose technically we could both be right!  

1 minute ago, Slipmat said:

Ah, well I've taken the 21st century to start on 1 January 2000 so I suppose technically we could both be right!  

Well technically, you're not. The 20th century ended at midnight on 31st December 2000. 😜

On 08/08/2024 at 17:54, qos1990 said:

Haven’t been impressed so far but another option down is grim

When we had that very decent squad in the 70s we operated with a core squad of about 16 players. It was virtually the same team every week with a few tweaks. Players who were also working full time never seemed to be injured and didn't want to risk losing their place by letting a teammate replace them and potentially subjecting them to a place on the bench. With all the advancement in sports science the identification of injuries is certainly better now but not the prevention of them.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well technically, you're not. The 20th century ended at midnight on 31st December 2000. 😜

Ah!  The the old how is the final year of the last century also the first year of the new millennium conundrum!  Never mind, it was only meant as a bit of fun 🙂

Going by the dates I was using, the missing answer was Stevie Mallan, by the way. 

49 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

When we had that very decent squad in the 70s we operated with a core squad of about 16 players. It was virtually the same team every week with a few tweaks. Players who were also working full time never seemed to be injured and didn't want to risk losing their place by letting a teammate replace them and potentially subjecting them to a place on the bench. With all the advancement in sports science the identification of injuries is certainly better now but not the prevention of them.

It's bizarre to look back now on the days before substitutes when, if say the goalkeeper was injured but could still walk, the automatic solution was to move him to the wing and put an outfield player in goal in order to keep 11 men on the pitch.  Could you imagine that happening nowadays if the manager had used all his subs before the injury occurred?!

Imagine the looks of horror on the faces of sports scientists had they been around when Bert Trautmann played on in the 1956 FA Cup Final despite having broken his neck!

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Bryce as said already for last player to get 4.

Peter Weatherson got our last hat trick of the 20th century, on 14th October 2000, in a 4-2 home win over Stenhousemuir.

Craig Feroz got the first of the 21st century infamously on 9/11. (September 11th 2001 in a 3-0 League Cup win away to East Stirlingshire.

I couldn't find another one from then until Dobbie's famous perfect hat trick as a sub at Cappielow on 19th January 2008?

A welcome return to the thread for the Stats Man. 

2 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I'm sure that the modern day Sports Scientists would say that it was a different mindset back in the 70's and that the players would often either not flag up minor niggling injuries or just play through the pain of injuries, not understanding fully the physical consequences of doing so or knowing that the squad cover wasn't there or to keep their place.  Whereas nowadays the perceived wisdom will be to identify minor injuries early enough to prevent them becoming more serious through lack of attention to them.  Of course with the plethora of fitness data being monitored for every player now, any dip in any of their stats levels will tend to flag up possible issues with their health.  So there will be greater indentification nowadays and more precautionary preventative measures taken which will lead to more player downtime for "injuries" than in the bygone days.

Would there also have been a contractual effect at play between then and now?  Was it more a case of back in the 70's if you didn't play then you didn't get paid (or not paid as much relatively compared to now)?  That said, I'd imagine that modern player contracts still include some kind of incentivisation for actually featuring in the first team compared to just being in the squad (eg injured)?  Perhaps the relative financial difference was more onerous back then which maybe encouraged players to play through the pain more.  I dunno ... just guessing here.

48 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

I'm sure that the modern day Sports Scientists would say that it was a different mindset back in the 70's and that the players would often either not flag up minor niggling injuries or just play through the pain of injuries, not understanding fully the physical consequences of doing so or knowing that the squad cover wasn't there or to keep their place.  Whereas nowadays the perceived wisdom will be to identify minor injuries early enough to prevent them becoming more serious through lack of attention to them.  Of course with the plethora of fitness data being monitored for every player now, any dip in any of their stats levels will tend to flag up possible issues with their health.  So there will be greater indentification nowadays and more precautionary preventative measures taken which will lead to more player downtime for "injuries" than in the bygone days.

Would there also have been a contractual effect at play between then and now?  Was it more a case of back in the 70's if you didn't play then you didn't get paid (or not paid as much relatively compared to now)?  That said, I'd imagine that modern player contracts still include some kind of incentivisation for actually featuring in the first team compared to just being in the squad (eg injured)?  Perhaps the relative financial difference was more onerous back then which maybe encouraged players to play through the pain more.  I dunno ... just guessing here.

I had an interesting conversation about this with someone employed in football yesterday and his view is that 80 percent of injuries are strains, pulls etc vs 20 percent for impact injuries. Therefore if you have a disproportionate number of injuries it’s because players aren’t conditioned properly ( fitness, rest etc etc). 

1 hour ago, Eednud said:

Posted this in the A Photographic History of Scottish Football thread but thought some of you might enjoy it. Opening day of the 1961/62 season on 12 August in front of almost 5,000. Match report here https://www.arbroatharchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=5893

IMG_2169.jpeg

Thanks for posting @Eednud.  A good season that for Queens as they were promoted back to the top league again.  Shame our next game at home to Arbroath this season isn't going to attract 5,000.

Checking the team sheet in the link, I see Willie McLean (brother of Tommy and Jim) listed as a winger for Queens - he later went on to manage us in the 70's but I hadn't realised that he'd also played for Queens.  Every day a school day etc etc.

11 hours ago, Eednud said:

Posted this in the A Photographic History of Scottish Football thread but thought some of you might enjoy it. Opening day of the 1961/62 season on 12 August in front of almost 5,000. Match report here https://www.arbroatharchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=5893

IMG_2169.jpeg

Gerry Irving is the Queens player challenging the keeper, and Neil Martin is the one on the extreme right of those in the foreground.  The other Queens player whose face is visible in the middle of the shot I can't quite make out, unfortunately.

This match was Martin's debut for Queens, he signed from Alloa that summer.  He went on to get 3 Scotland caps and is one of only 6 players to have scored 100 goals in both the English and Scottish leagues.  Interestingly, of the other 5, one is Jimmy McConnell who achieved this feat at two of our (then) local rivals Nithsdale Wanderers and Carlisle United, and another is some bloke called Dalglish... wonder what happened to him?

Surprised the ref didn't make one of the teams change kit.  Those grey shirts clearly clash  🤣

Edited by Slipmat

16 hours ago, Slipmat said:

... and another is some bloke called Dalglish... wonder what happened to him?

... and to add a completely useless bit of trivia in here ... a link back to Queens being that our much loved midfielder of the mid 70's, Jimmy Donald was Sir Kenny's best man at his wedding.

O/T but good to see Paton get his first goal for Port Vale last night. Sol Brynn also got his debut for Boro away at Leeds and kept a clean sheet into the bargain. 

Who was that Killie fan who claimed Hemming (currently loaned out to Leyton Orient) was ahead of Brynn in the pecking order @Skyline Drifter? 😎