The Queen of the South thread

I only remember select parts of the '86 World Cup as I was 5 at the time but still a regular (yes even at that time) at the Recs, mainly due to my dad lifting me up on his shoulders to bypass the turnstile...as someone mentioned earlier, 'the good old days when players were allowed to tackle' ;)

I was on holiday in France for 2 weeks of that World Cup and was in a creperie when Strachan scored and celebrated his goal with the leg up on the advertising board, and there was a lot of goals in the other game in our group that day. Apart from the amazing crowd at the final and Belgium getting quite far, I don't remember much else about Mexico '86.

Will always remember the name Pumpido though but only because he broke his leg early on in Italia '90 and was replaced by Goycochea who went on to become as much a hero for Argentina during that World Cup as Maradona and Caniggia were. He saved them in the 2nd phase versus Brazil a few times and pulled off penalty saves in the shoot-outs against both Yugoslavia and Italy en route to the final. He very nearly saved the Brehme penalty in the final after a Klinsmann dive, surprisingly! Horrible way to lose, especially such an important game, and event!

P.S. Maradona is the best player ever in my opinion.

The 1986 World Cup was the first tournament where I was old enough to really appreciate what was going on, so therefore it has left an indelible image in my mind. Heady days indeed, following on the back of Queens' 85/86 promotion season... :)

Apart from Maradona's one-man shows, what I remember best of all was the number of goals scored from long range. The USSR team seemed to score a fair percentage of them, then there was Josimar's rocket against Norn Ireland - wasn't there a rumour soon afterwards that Wee Jum had tried to sign him for United?

Jeez, just thinking about that tournament has brought back so many random mental images: the cool BBC intro music, Ray Wilkins getting sent off for a hissy fit, Michel's over-the-line goal for the Spanish v. Brazil and the Danes failing spectacularly after going through the group stages looking like potential outright winners. I could go on and on on this one....

FTR, I now think Messi has surpassed Maradona, and Dobbs narrowly edges JR as the best Queens player I've ever seen.

Edited by BigRubberFist

The 1986 World Cup is the first tournament I remember as well. It is absolute essence of why I became a football fan.

My mother was working away at the time, which meant several weeks of father and son bonding - a lot of which was based around surviving on microwave meals and takeaways, getting to stay up late and watch the games which had 5-6 hour time difference, and lots and lots of discussion about football.

I obsessed over it. I was a sponge for information about it. I could rattle off all sorts of facts about it and other World Cups. I can still remember a fair whack of them too. I named the cat we got around then Maradona.

Maradona (the player, not the cat) was probably my biggest boyhood hero. Him and that World Cup are probably more responsible than anything else for getting me hooked on football as a kid. I'd been to watch Queens a couple of times before then, but at the start of the 1986/87 season I was craving another football fix. From then on that was pretty much it.

Which of the other "heroes" of current Queens fans played at a level equivalent to Dobbie - the top end of the English Championship? Most of them bummed around with us in the Second and lower reaches of the First, with the odd one having spells with decent First Divsion teams. I don't remember any leaving us for a long spell at SPL or Championship level, apart from Ted McMinn.

I also loved this sticker album.

http://andrewspooner.com/blog/2011/completed-panini-mexico-86-world-cup-sticker-album/

Some brilliant memories (and haircuts) in there.

The sticker albums were all the rage when I was a lad. Remember collecting the 78 WC cards religiously . All the foreign players with the mountains of hair from teams like MAGYAROSZAG. Anyone else remember the Tennents beer mats with the Scotland players faces on for the 78 World Cup ? Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Which of the other "heroes" of current Queens fans played at a level equivalent to Dobbie - the top end of the English Championship? Most of them bummed around with us in the Second and lower reaches of the First, with the odd one having spells with decent First Divsion teams. I don't remember any leaving us for a long spell at SPL or Championship level, apart from Ted McMinn.

Jimmy Robertson did go to the Premier League with Morton after he left us in 87 for a spell but I would say he was past his best by that time . He should have left us earlier but was obviously happy enough bumming around as you put it. Ted McMinn played at a high level as well .Rangers , Derby County and Seville to name off the top of my head. An outrageous talent but must have been a nightmare to manage . Can still remember him in the early eighties beating a man then beating the same man again before losing it to someone else. He even tripped over his own feet at times but what dribbling ability he had . Scored the most spectacular Queens goal I have seen but in a crowd of around 400 , I don't think many will remember. Circa 83 v Stenhousemuir he went off on a gallop from well inside his own half , beating one man then another and another, zig zagging across the park before letting fly from around 25-30 yards out. The ball landed in the top corner and , this gentlemen , is the best I have seen from a man that didn't score many ( for us).. Maybe Monkey Tennis or yourself will remember that one . Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

Jimmy Robertson did go to the Premier League with Morton after he left us in 87 for a spell but I would say he was past his best by that time . He should have left us earlier but was obviously happy enough bumming around as you put it. Ted McMinn played at a high level as well .Rangers , Derby County and Seville to name off the top of my head. An outrageous talent but must have been a nightmare to manage . Can still remember him in the early eighties beating a man then beating the same man again before losing it to someone else. He even tripped over his own feet at times but what dribbling ability he had . Scored the most spectacular Queens goal I have seen but in a crowd of around 400 , I don't think many will remember. Circa 83 v Stenhousemuir he went off on a gallop from well inside his own half , beating one man then another and another, zig zagging across the park before letting fly from around 25-30 yards out. The ball landed in the top corner and , this gentlemen , is the best I have seen from a man that didn't score many ( for us).. Maybe Monkey Tennis or yourself will remember that one .

Depends on what parameters you use to judge 'best player' as well as the timescale over which you judge him against others.

In terms of all time best player then Dobbie would not feature in the top 10 or even the top 20.

I would put McMinn and Robertson ahead of him as examples of 'modern era' players..

There are many others who made a greater contribution to the team, scored more goals, were more skillful, gained international honours or played at a higher level.

He may be one of the best within the last 10 or 20 years but that is the extent of it.

Ex players tend to take on an aura once they have gone that was just not there when they played for the club. Dobbie could certainly turn it on when he set his mind to the task.

He was one of the best penalty box finishers who could create half a yard of space and hit the ball low and early which invariably caught keepers out.

His overall contribution to the team was less certain however, and he would go long spells in a season where he looked as if he was less interested and for 8 or 9 games (2 months or more) wouldn't appear on the score sheet. This was recognised by more than one manager who didn't always feature him as a first pick.

Having said all of that he made a significant contribution to the team scoring 20 goals plus, three seasons running, and providing a lot of entertainment along the way.

Edited by MacWatt

In terms of all time best player then Dobbie would not feature in the top 10 or even the top 20.

I don't agree with this. I've been watching us pretty steadily for the last 30+ years and he's the best in that era by, I think, quite a distance.

I also like to think I've a decent grasp on our history, and would still place him high up. Most of the big hitters in that history - Gallacher included - made their mark elsewhere. Dobbie did it for us.

The likes of McMinn hit heights, but was also very hit-and-miss for us. I don't think anyone saw his big move coming. The reality is that he didn't last long at Rangers after they became a powerhouse. He did well at Derby, but making it in England's top flight then was a lot easier, before it became a magnet for many of the planet's best.

There will have been relatively 'better' players when we were a top flight club ourselves, as well as good players on the way down, even fairly recently like Pat McCluskey, Neil Orr, or God forbid, Andy fucking Goram. However, Dobbie's sheer class as a footballer, set him apart.

In Dobbie's last season, he didn't even win the division's player of the year and the guy who beat him, now plays for Scotland, and runs fast. Dobbie played such a clever type of football though that he deserves to be considered among Queens' very best.

Was Passarela not long gone by '86?

Argentina also had a bearded guy - Batista, I think. He shared a name with the Uruguayan that got sent off after a minute against us.

It maybe is a little disrespectful to dismiss the rest of the team, but they really were dependent on Maradona to a huge degree. He scored both in the quarter final, both in the semi and made the winner in the final with a sublimely timed and weighted pass.

It's not as if his goals were striker's poached goals either - he ofen made them out of scratch by himself - the second England one obviously being the best example.

The Napoli team he played in did have other stars like Careca, but again there's no doubt that he took a team without much success before or since to league titles and a Europen trophy.

Maradona has won the big things as an individual, more than anyone.

Was Passarela not long gone by '86?

Argentina also had a bearded guy - Batista, I think. He shared a name with the Uruguayan that got sent off after a minute against us.

It maybe is a little disrespectful to dismiss the rest of the team, but they really were dependent on Maradona to a huge degree. He scored both in the quarter final, both in the semi and made the winner in the final with a sublimely timed and weighted pass.

It's not as if his goals were striker's poached goals either - he ofen made them out of scratch by himself - the second England one obviously being the best example.

The Napoli team he played in did have other stars like Careca, but again there's no doubt that he took a team without much success before or since to league titles and a Europen trophy.

Maradona has won the big things as an individual, more than anyone.

Yes, Passarella did not play in 1986 but still had a lot of influence on the national team. Good assessment of Maradona and also this was an era where defenders kicked him black and blue. Wonder how many of todays stars would thrive in these sort of games . El Diego , the genius and best ever.-------------Good selection of players that done a job for Queens on the way down. Orr certainly had a bit to offer as did your friend Andy Goram but I will always remember McCluskey's time vividly. Obviously in terrible physical shape and probably only playing for beer money but what a player. Touch and reading of the game was something else. I wonder how good he was in his peak at Celtic in the 70's. My all time favourite 'on the way down' player was the one and only Bobby Parker . What a defender and a fantastic signing for us in his two or three years here. I never seen Chris Balderstone but from what I have heard , then that's another good 'old yin'. Can you think of anyone else ?

My all time favourite 'on the way down' player was the one and only Bobby Parker . What a defender and a fantastic signing for us in his two or three years here. I never seen Chris Balderstone but from what I have heard , then that's another good 'old yin'. Can you think of anyone else ?

George McVittie.

I did see Balderstone play, but don't remember him well. In fact my memories don't really extend beyond my dad explaining to me that the bloke we were watching was a Test cricketer - truly remarkable.

Is there not a story about him interrupting an innings in a County Championship match by playing for Doncaster or someone in the evening, then resuming at the crease in the morning?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

George McVittie.

I did see Balderstone play, but don't remeber him well. In fact my memories don't really extend beyond my dad expalianing to me that the bloke we were watching was a Test cricketer - truly remarkable.

Is there not a story about him interrupting an innings in a County Championship match by playing for Doncaster or someone in the evening, then resuming at the crease in the morning?

Firstly, can't remember much about McVittie . I take it he was still good then ? ----- The story about Balderstone is true as I read it in 'When Saturday Comes'. Forgive me as I can't remember the teams involved but he finished not out at the batting crease at close of play in a county match. Thing is that his football team were playing that night so he got straight into a car without getting changed and got driven to the ground. Got stripped just in time and played the whole ninety before being back at the crease the next day for the first over of the day.

I don't agree with this. I've been watching us pretty steadily for the last 30+ years and he's the best in that era by, I think, quite a distance.

I also like to think I've a decent grasp on our history, and would still place him high up. Most of the big hitters in that history - Gallacher included - made their mark elsewhere. Dobbie did it for us.

The likes of McMinn hit heights,

Dobbie's sheer class as a footballer, set him apart.

Queens' very best.

Dobbie is without doubt one of the best players in our very recent memory. The trouble is recent memory is more vivid and unreliable when we try to apply that memory to all players who have ever played for Queens.

I don't even think he is the best in 'that era' . To put it blunt a lot of the time he was unfit, lazy and pre-occupied with matters outwith football.

Not one of Queens greats!

Good post McWatt. I should have thought of you as someone who would remember past games and goals .By the way, I cannot wait to see Kevin American play after your ringing endorsement of him. Wonder if he will play from the start against Raith Rovers.

Good post McWatt. I should have thought of you as someone who would remember past games and goals .By the way, I cannot wait to see Kevin American play after your ringing endorsement of him. Wonder if he will play from the start against Raith Rovers.

I have been his flag bearer and I hope he doesn't disappoint,

Intelligence and leadership and fitness could be the key!

Fitness is an issue after his trans Atlantic journeys.. Although he is natural athlete. He once entered a 5K field of 320 male/female runners when he was 12 and finished 22nd!