The Queen of the South thread

Yeah it was a terrible result for us today. Bizarre to suggest otherwise.

Totally.

A Rangers defeat today would have brought them right into the fight with us and Falkirk and meant two play-off spots were available.

Unless you see both Hibs and Rangers as catchable and wish to board that second place train, today's was a bad result.

Its a worse result than a draw, and if we lose at Tynecastle Saturday then it will have been a disappointing result. However right now it probably gives us a better chance of getting something from Hearts than if they had it to win themselves. If we end up getting something there today will not have been a bad result. Dragging Rangers into a three way fight would be good but it would be a bonus. The important results are Falkirk's.

Its a worse result than a draw, and if we lose at Tynecastle Saturday then it will have been a disappointing result. However right now it probably gives us a better chance of getting something from Hearts than if they had it to win themselves. If we end up getting something there today will not have been a bad result. Dragging Rangers into a three way fight would be good but it would be a bonus. The important results are Falkirk's.

If we get a result at Tynecastle, it requires a massive leap to attribute it to what happened today. Dragging Rangers into a three way fight wouldn't be a mere bonus - it would very significantly enhance our chances of making the play-offs and potentially aid our chances when there.

Unless we somehow overcome both sides immediately above us and secure second spot (an outcome nobody sees as realistic) then today's result was a bad one for us. How we do at Tynecastle won't change that.

If we get a result at Tynecastle, it requires a massive leap to attribute it to what happened today. Dragging Rangers into a three way fight wouldn't be a mere bonus - it would very significantly enhance our chances of making the play-offs and potentially aid our chances when there.Unless we somehow overcome both sides immediately above us and secure second spot (an outcome nobody sees as realistic) then today's result was a bad one for us. How we do at Tynecastle won't change that.

It doesnt remotely require a "massive leap" to suggest our chances of a result next weekend are improved if Hearts dont need a result.

It doesnt remotely require a "massive leap" to suggest our chances of a result next weekend are improved if Hearts dont need a result.

Normally I would agree that a team in Hearts position may ( however subconsciously ) ease off a bit.

This Hearts team have been resilient, dogged and quite relentless in getting results. I don't think that will change come Saturday

Normally I would agree that a team in Hearts position may ( however subconsciously ) ease off a bit.

This Hearts team have been resilient, dogged and quite relentless in getting results. I don't think that will change come Saturday

I dont think its a case of them easing off. The game will be just as hard as any other we've played against them this season. However, had they needed a win to secure the league, I think, it would have been harder still to get any kind of result.

It does however require one to retrospectively put any particular outcome down to that, to such an extent that it offsets yesterday's effect of a team moving five clear of us as opposed to two.

If we were to get a draw at Tynecastle next week, it would be a great result and we'd all be pleased with it. It would however still leave us worse off in terms of the table than if we'd lost and yesterday's result at Easter Road had been reversed. That of course is even if we accept the unknowable premise that our brilliant hypothetical point was aided by Hearts having already won the league.

I'd have thought this was all self-evident enough to not need outlining, to be honest.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

I think everyone is forgetting we should be 99% looking over our shoulder and 1% looking up. Fourth would be an excellent achievement this season with the teams in the league and one that is very much in our own hands.

And we'd have a better chance of avoiding 5th if both 3rd and 4th places were available, rather than just 4th.

And we'd have a better chance of avoiding 5th if both 3rd and 4th places were available, rather than just 4th.

Of course we would but I think with our next few games we would be struggling to keep pace with Sevco and our battle is directly with Falkirk.

Of course we would but I think with our next few games we would be struggling to keep pace with Sevco and our battle is directly with Falkirk.

It probably is now, but had Rangers' rotten spell continued yesterday, the battle would have become three way, with two prizes up for grabs.

That's the point here.

It does however require one to retrospectively put any particular outcome down to that, to such an extent that it offsets yesterday's effect of a team moving five clear of us as opposed to two.

If we were to get a draw at Tynecastle next week, it would be a great result and we'd all be pleased with it. It would however still leave us worse off in terms of the table than if we'd lost and yesterday's result at Easter Road had been reversed. That of course is even if we accept the unknowable premise that our brilliant hypothetical point was aided by Hearts having already won the league.

I'd have thought this was all self-evident enough to not need outlining, to be honest.

What? Did you seriously post that?

In case it has escaped your attention we are already in a playoff position. Keeping it has to be our main aim. Having Rangers within reach would be a nice bonus but despite your fixation with them the world does not revolve around them. Our main aim has to be to remain ahead of Falkirk. As such a point gained next weekend would absolutely NOT leave us worse off than if we had lost and Rangers had too. It would be one point nearer achieving the playoff target. That IS self evident.

We may well lose to Hearts anyway of course. They are better than us and should win every game we play. And if we do lose anyway then retrospectively I would maybe rather Hibs had won. However for the moment I am happy enough that it improves our chances of nicking a result. Looking further ahead it also improves the chances of Hibs and Rangers remaining competitive with each other for 2nd to the end, something also in our interest given Falkirk's closing fixtures.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Skyline is right - we need Rangers and Hibs to be fighting for second place right up to the last day so that Falkirk's last few games are really tough. If matters are settled Hibs and Rangers will rest players in readiness for play off battles that lie ahead.

Personally I feel that the fixture schedule in the final quarter favours Falkirk - alhough we naturally have the same teams to play the combination of when the fixtures fall looks better for our rivals.

Loy is a massive miss for Falkirk - not sure how long he is out for.

I have Queens as slight favourites to prevail as a 4 point lead and a superior goal diff needs Falkirk to have an outstanding final quarter.

Your voodoo doll must have worked Hawk.

Don't have one and wouldn't wish the guy any I'll, just want him to stop cheating and get on with what he's often quite good at.

Who told you he was injured or are you the physio.

The pace Rangers had been setting when paired with the bottom sides, had hitherto been such that keeping it didn't sound like such a tall order.

I honestly don't get the logic that says we can only concern ourselves with Falkirk, even if other sides threaten to move alongside us.

What? Did you seriously post that?

In case it has escaped your attention we are already in a playoff position. Keeping it has to be our main aim. Having Rangers within reach would be a nice bonus but despite your fixation with them the world does not revolve around them. Our main aim has to be to remain ahead of Falkirk. As such a point gained next weekend would absolutely NOT leave us worse off than if we had lost and Rangers had too. It would be one point nearer achieving the playoff target. That IS self evident.

We may well lose to Hearts anyway of course. They are better than us and should win every game we play. And if we do lose anyway then retrospectively I would maybe rather Hibs had won. However for the moment I am happy enough that it improves our chances of nicking a result. Looking further ahead it also improves the chances of Hibs and Rangers remaining competitive with each other for 2nd to the end, something also in our interest given Falkirk's closing fixtures.

Yes, I posted it in all seriousness.

The point that there might be something in it for us if Hibs and Rangers remain locked in battle until the end, I'll concede.

The rest however, implying that we apparently cannot consider our position relative to Rangers, because of the presence of Falkirk, I completely reject.

I'd have thought it was in your interests to steer clear of attacking my stance on the Rangers question, so discredited is the 'pragmatic' approach adopted by some at Palmerston in summer 2012.