The Queen of the South thread

Correct. Always the curse of a manager who inevitably follows a popular/successful one.

Talking of such I'd give my left leg.to have Johnson at Dunfermline next season, would Queens fans take him instead of Fowler?

McIntyre was neither successful or particularly popular.

To answer your question though, this Queens fan would take Johnston over Fowler immediately.

The jury is very much out on Johnston. His disastrous stint at Killie has probably cancelled out his achievements with us in the third tier.

He'll have to pick his next move wisely.

Of course the jury is still out on Fowler as well (isn't it for all managers in reality?). He's done enough to deserve a chance next season regardless of what happens between now and the end of the season. I'm happy with him in charge.

McIntyre was neither successful or particularly popular. To answer your question though, this Queens fan would take Johnston over Fowler immediately.

I think he was referring to McIntyre following a successful manager in Johnston tbf.

There's a helluva doom and gloom around right now, and I suppose it's understandable. COYB_RAB has hit the nail on the head in his post and it's something very similar to what I was discussing with my dad a couple of weeks ago; If we finish 5th it will be really disappointing purely because we have held on to 4th spot for so long in the season. But overall, if we finish 4th OR 5th there is no denying this has been a very successful season for us. Considering our budget, and more importantly the size of our squad, we have done remarkably well to even push for 4th spot this season and let's not forget how close we came to a major semi-final as well. I would be interested to know if our bench had the youngest average age throughout the season. Our first 11 can compete with anyone in the division (I suppose you could possibly argue not Hearts) but when we have picked up knocks and suspensions we don't have a lot in reserve. We've played most of the season with only 2 strikers and for a good spell at the beginning we had many key players missing for long periods. The boys who stepped in and our youngsters have done incredibly this season and whether we finish 4th or 5th they deserve ONLY praise. That goes for Fowler too. I'm as far away from being a happy clapper as can be, but I really can't find myself having a pop at our team overall this season.

It would be good to be in the play-offs, but let's get real for a minute here. Even if we did make the play-offs, how many QoS fans genuinely believe we would win all 6 games to go up??

Great post and a reality check for some hopefully.

Last year reaching the playoffs was the target, this year fighting for them was. Both targets have been achieved with plenty of other positive things occurring, and obstacles overcome. There's a bigger picture needs looking at.

Another thing to be thankful of is that since the introduction of the playoffs we've had excitement right to the end of the season, both this year and last.

Last night's defeat was comfortably one of the lowest points of our season. It was one of the highs in a dead rubber of a season for Raith. They were all to happy to point out (correctly) that we are similar size clubs. I know which of the two similar clubs I'd like to follow this season, and last, and next!

I think he was referring to McIntyre following a successful manager in Johnston tbf.

There's a helluva doom and gloom around right now, and I suppose it's understandable. COYB_RAB has hit the nail on the head in his post and it's something very similar to what I was discussing with my dad a couple of weeks ago; If we finish 5th it will be really disappointing purely because we have held on to 4th spot for so long in the season. But overall, if we finish 4th OR 5th there is no denying this has been a very successful season for us. Considering our budget, and more importantly the size of our squad, we have done remarkably well to even push for 4th spot this season and let's not forget how close we came to a major semi-final as well. I would be interested to know if our bench had the youngest average age throughout the season. Our first 11 can compete with anyone in the division (I suppose you could possibly argue not Hearts) but when we have picked up knocks and suspensions we don't have a lot in reserve. We've played most of the season with only 2 strikers and for a good spell at the beginning we had many key players missing for long periods. The boys who stepped in and our youngsters have done incredibly this season and whether we finish 4th or 5th they deserve ONLY praise. That goes for Fowler too. I'm as far away from being a happy clapper as can be, but I really can't find myself having a pop at our team overall this season.

It would be good to be in the play-offs, but let's get real for a minute here. Even if we did make the play-offs, how many QoS fans genuinely believe we would win all 6 games to go up??

Yes, he probably was referring to McIntyre having to follow Johnston. Apologies.

Even from the outset of the season though, let's not pretend that a 5th place finish would represent a "successful" season. It would represent a perfectly acceptable one, but it wouldn't reflect particular success.

You're right though in saying that it would only feel like failure because we've been better off for the first 75% of the season. It also feels more galling because we did better early on when we were injury hit and because we seemed to consciously weaken in January.

In the Cup, we played in two difficult Palmerston ties, one of which we handsomely won and the other, we tamely lost.

Finishing above Falkirk would be very good; finishing below them but above the others would be fine.

If we recognise that competing with three such big clubs in the division is a tall order, we must surely also recognise that finishing above three part-time sides and a dreadful, points penalised Livingston, is no great achievement.

We ought to finish somewhere between places 4-6. The top of that pile would be great - elsewhere will be fine in the scheme of things, but ultimately disappointing, given how things have looked for much of the season.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

We do have some very good young players though, who are going to move onto bigger and better things at some point.

I'm not having a go at the players concerned at all, but I don't think it's a given that some will definitely go onto bigger and better things.

Regardless of where QOS finish I think you've had a great season, setting the pace for the 4th play off place the majority of the season with (assumed) less resources. I would never have thought you would have been a serious threat for 4th at this stage of the season. Thought we (Falkirk) would have achieved it comfortably, however it’s all up for grabs going into the run in and that’s credit to your season.

I must say Baird and Kerr have improved us but these things happen, we were shafted years ago with Livi signing some of our better players, Crabbe, Keith, Hagen etc

Not trying to noise up or offend any QOS fans with these comments, offering praise if anything.

A fourth place finish would be great.

Anything else would be average.

Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in the division and we are in 4 th as we go into the last quarter- anybody who does not think that's an achievement to be pleased with, is not being realistic imo.

I do believe that our run in is much harder than Falkirk's and that we will end up 5th. That was my view even before last night. I fully expect the moaning too increase in volume as we go through this period.

At the game last night I heard fans bemoaning the departure of Kerr and Baird. I expect this will be used as a stick to beat the club. Sigh.....

Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in the division and we are in 4 th as we go into the last quarter- anybody who does not think that's an achievement to be pleased with, is not being realistic imo.

I do believe that our run in is much harder than Falkirk's and that we will end up 5th. That was my view even before last night. I fully expect the moaning too increase in volume as we go through this period.

At the game last night I heard fans bemoaning the departure of Kerr and Baird. I expect this will be used as a stick to beat the club. Sigh.....

Yes, being above Falkirk, a bigger, wealthier club is good, but relinquishing a good lead to them as it starts to matter, surely dents any notion of an achievement.

Like most, I don't know the circumstances of the player departures in January, but I do know that where they wound up is regrettable and that one wasn't replaced at all.

If we do, as you and I believe, miss out on 4th, then it will not be source of outrage.

It will naturally be one of disappointment though.

Yes, being above Falkirk, a bigger, wealthier club is good, but relinquishing a good lead to them as it starts to matter, surely dents any notion of an achievement.

Like most, I don't know the circumstances of the player departures in January, but I do know that where they wound up is regrettable and that one wasn't replaced at all.

If we do, as you and I believe, miss out on 4th, then it will not be source of outrage.

It will naturally be one of disappointment though.

I believe what I have heard about Kerr being a poor influence in the dressing room. He has form on that front too. Ironically, in a stooshie with Yogi Hughes at Falkirk. Good player but had to be punted.

Yes, neither Baird or Kerr were replaced but Paton , McKenna and Burns returning were like new signings imo, although we are a forward light. What is going to bug me is losing the play-off last season, being put out of Hampden and being put into 5th, all by Falkirk....grrrrr! Their win at Tynecastle was a massive three points.

I believe what I have heard about Kerr being a poor influence in the dressing room. He has form on that front too. Ironically, in a stooshie with Yogi Hughes at Falkirk. Good player but had to be punted.

Yes, neither Baird or Kerr were replaced but Paton , McKenna and Burns returning were like new signings imo, although we are a forward light. What is going to bug me is losing the play-off last season, being put out of Hampden and being put into 5th, all by Falkirk....grrrrr! Their win at Tynecastle was a massive three points.

McKenna and Burns have scarcely featured, especially Mckenna.

Paton just doesn`t cut it for me.

Dreadful decision not to replace Baird.

Kerr was replaced. Millar is a good player. I`d keep him for next season.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

Seriously? You dont think Holt, Durnan, McShane and Reilly will end up at bigger clubs in their careers?

unfortuanatly they may end up at bigger clubs offering more dosh but they will get less game time tho.

I don't think these players are as good as the biased queens fans are making out and am sure many çlubs fans will think the same about some of there players.

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

Seriously? You dont think Holt, Durnan, McShane and Reilly will end up at bigger clubs in their careers?

I think they might, but I'd be surprised if they all do, to be honest.

The defenders have plenty virtues, but as observed, a sloppiness has entered Durnan's game that would be more exposed at a higher level.

McShane was obviously interesting a former manager who loved him. It was at a higher level, but a similar club. He might yet make a move like that, but I don't see him as destined for greatness.

I really like Reilly, but again he's incomplete in a demanding role.

I'm genuinely not putting the guys down, but I don't think they're suitably magnificent at this level to ensure they must be bound for much better ones.

I think we have a tendency - an understandable one - to overstate their gifts in the context of the wider game.

I think they might, but I'd be surprised if they all do, to be honest. The defenders have plenty virtues, but as observed, a sloppiness has entered Durnan's game that would be more exposed at a higher level. McShane was obviously interesting a former manager who loved him. It was at a higher level, but a similar club. He might yet make a move like that, but I don't see him as destined for greatness. I really like Reilly, but again he's incomplete in a demanding role. I'm genuinely not putting the guys down, but I don't think they're suitably magnificent at this level to ensure they must be bound for much better ones. I think we have a tendency - an understandable one - to overstate their gifts in the context of the wider game.

No one is claiming any of these players are world beaters and how highly rated they are by Queens fans doesnt really come into it. All have attracted the attention of bigger clubs and all will, at some point, move on. Unfortunately, most, if not all, will do so this summer.

Im struggling to see how you can argue against this, to be honest.

No one is claiming any of these players are world beaters and how highly rated they are by Queens fans doesnt really come into it. All have attracted the attention of bigger clubs and all will, at some point, move on. Unfortunately, most, if not all, will do so this summer.

Im struggling to see how you can argue against this, to be honest.

Perhaps you're right, but I don't think it will necessarily be the case.

We'll see.

Guest Back Post Misses

Watched the Raith highlights. I see QOS have had to find a bigger strip for Mark Millar. At the first goal he never even tried to close down the cross if you watch it.

The falkirk manager said on radio scotland a few weeks ago that they had fallen out with Jim Thompson. I remember thinking at the time that it seemed quite unprofessional for him to name JT specifically, rather than saying they had a disagreement with the club or something similar.