The Queen of the South thread

I wouldn't make wholesale changes, we've got good momentum and I wouldn't want to see that stalled.

If Kidd picked up a knock, and Durnan is still carrying his then I'd be happy to continue with Hooper at right back. I wouldn't change much else to be honest. Paton and Russell should be eased back into competitive action, and despite his age, Lyle has to carry on playing as he is on fire just now.

The players have all Summer to rest.

This. We still, of course, have two points to get to make certain of the play offs. Assuming we do that on Saturday, at Alloa, that only leaves two games.

In answer to MTs question, I dont really mind. It would certainly be nice to knock Rangers out of the play-offs and we, obviously, have a better chance of doing that if they finish 3rd

Right, I'm stepping away from my pessimistic comfort blanket, to make the assumption that we'll now finish fourth. I'm pretty sure we will do so, even if we don't get another point.

On the basis of that assumption then, who would you rather see finishing 3rd?

In other words, who, from Hibs and Rangers, would you like us to face in the first round of the play-offs, safe in the knowledge that the other one would await, in the unlikely event (ah, that feels comfier) of us squeaking through?

Personally, I'd pick Rangers first. They don't like Palmerston and will feel an awful lot of pressure if they need to negotiate three rounds to get up.

Both routes will look pretty daunting for us though. Still, exciting times ahead.

You can easily make an argument for both I suppose. We have an identical league record of 2 wins and a draw over both. The margin of victory has been smaller against Hibs though, and although it is debatable which of the two is the better side, there is no question in my mind that only looking at our games against them Hibs are a far better side.

Based on that assumption you can then look at it two ways. Do we want to play the harder opponents, Hibs, first when we are fresher, before taking on the weaker The Rangers in the proceeding round? Or do we want The Rangers first to give us a better chance of progressing, even if it is at the detriment of the following round?

I don't really have much of a preference, we face a difficult task no matter what, and we'll be the underdogs regardless. Knocking The Rangers out would be highly satisfying, and hilarious for everyone else I'm sure. They probably represent a slightly better chance of progression, so yeah them.

After seeing how knackered we looked after the short break between the Rangers game and the Falkirk game it shows how much of a longshot it would be for us to get through 6 playoff games in a short time frame. All will be incredibly physically demanding. Unfortunately don't think we have a hope of winning them, but will be great just to be involved in more high profile games should we get the 2 points required in the next 3 games. What was up with Kidd? Hooper looked a wee bit off being ready, but so did Holt when he broke through so have to give him time to become comfortable at this level. Dowie and Lyle have been truly phenomenal this season. What a superb goal that was by Lyle to add to his other belter against Rangers

After seeing how knackered we looked after the short break between the Rangers game and the Falkirk game it shows how much of a longshot it would be for us to get through 6 playoff games in a short time frame. All will be incredibly physically demanding. Unfortunately don't think we have a hope of winning them, but will be great just to be involved in more high profile games should we get the 2 points required in the next 3 games. What was up with Kidd? Hooper looked a wee bit off being ready, but so did Holt when he broke through so have to give him time to become comfortable at this level. Dowie and Lyle have been truly phenomenal this season. What a superb goal that was by Lyle to add to his other belter against Rangers

It was 3 games in 8 days including a Thursday-Sunday which has been shown to affect performance in really good players never mind Scottish Championship players. Against the teams in 2nd-5th. Which we won.

Resting most of your first choice players in the last league game of the season would help, think you should just put out a 2nd string side for that game.

Interesting playing 3 games in 8 days affected your level of performance though, we played 3 games in 7 days and were fully committed in all of them. Seem to have got a new lease of life since our cup win.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

Resting most of your first choice players in the last league game of the season would help, think you should just put out a 2nd string side for that game.

Interesting playing 3 games in 8 days affected your level of performance though, we played 3 games in 7 days and were fully committed in all of them. Seem to have got a new lease of life since our cup win.

Did you not play 3 in 6 days ?? Sunday Wednesday Saturday ?

You played Alloa and Cowdenbeath, not Rangers and Hibernian! And there was not one single ounce of commitment not given in the games. All that was said was the players were completely shattered towards the end of the third game. We also had a days less rest in between the latter two games than you did.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Right, I'm stepping away from my pessimistic comfort blanket, to make the assumption that we'll now finish fourth. I'm pretty sure we will do so, even if we don't get another point.

On the basis of that assumption then, who would you rather see finishing 3rd?

In other words, who, from Hibs and Rangers, would you like us to face in the first round of the play-offs, safe in the knowledge that the other one would await, in the unlikely event (ah, that feels comfier) of us squeaking through?

Personally, I'd pick Rangers first. They don't like Palmerston and will feel an awful lot of pressure if they need to negotiate three rounds to get up.

Both routes will look pretty daunting for us though. Still, exciting times ahead.

Selfishly, probably Rangers first. Partially because it will be a bigger gate so financially better if we don't advance, but mainly because from an administrative point of view it would be easier to deal with them that way round. The playoffs would see us Home on a Saturday and away on the Wednesday following, with the second round home on the immediate Saturday again and then away the next Saturday. If we were to get through the first tie away from home on a Wednesday evening we'll have the other lot at home three days later. I suspect it would be slightly easier to deal with that if it's Hibs rather than Rangers but it probably doesn't make a lot of difference in practice. It's still going to be a nightmare to sort and sell tickets. Good problem to have though.

I wouldn't make wholesale changes, we've got good momentum and I wouldn't want to see that stalled.

If Kidd picked up a knock, and Durnan is still carrying his then I'd be happy to continue with Hooper at right back. I wouldn't change much else to be honest. Paton and Russell should be eased back into competitive action, and despite his age, Lyle has to carry on playing as he is on fire just now.

The players have all Summer to rest.

I didnt realise that there was a whole week between our last league game and our first play off ( yes ,I am very much presuming we are there) . This is more rest time than I thought .Last season I am sure we went straight in to the play offs three days after the last league game . With this in mind , I would not make as many changes at once as initially suggested BUT surely this is the time to filter in young guys like Hooper, Smith and even give experienced pros like Millar and Russell more game time . As I said, if we can't see what these youngsters are made of now when can we ? PS thought young Hooper had a tidy game when introduced last Saturday. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

I didnt realise that there was a whole week between our last league game and our first play off ( yes ,I am very much presuming we are there) . This is more rest time than I thought .Last season I am sure we went straight in to the play offs three days after the last league game . With this in mind , I would not make as many changes at once as initially suggested BUT surely this is the time to filter in young guys like Hooper, Smith and even give experienced pros like Millar and Russell more game time . As I said, if we can't see what these youngsters are made of now when can we ? PS thought young Hooper had a tidy game when introduced last Saturday.

I didn't know that either.

I'd assumed that like last time, the first game would be midweek, followed by a weekend away trip.

Is there any likelihood of the weekend game being moved to Friday or Sunday for TV purposes, particularly if it involves Rangers?

Also, does a Hibs Cup final appearance have the potential to interfere with any rounds?

I didn't know that either.I'd assumed that like last time, the first game would be midweek, followed by a weekend away trip. Is there any likelihood of the weekend game being moved to Friday or Sunday for TV purposes, particularly if it involves Rangers?Also, does a Hibs Cup final appearance have the potential to interfere with any rounds?

I suppose anything that could help distract Hibs would help . With that in mind, a Hibs win over Falkirk would be helpful. ---- Don't know why the play off gap of a week is there this time as opposed to three days last season. First leg Saturday 9th May. Second Leg Wednesday 13th May. Edited by JRS LEFT PEG

I didn't know that either.I'd assumed that like last time, the first game would be midweek, followed by a weekend away trip. Is there any likelihood of the weekend game being moved to Friday or Sunday for TV purposes, particularly if it involves Rangers?Also, does a Hibs Cup final appearance have the potential to interfere with any rounds?

Sure the cup final clashes with the play off final so only hibs would maybe need the play off final date changed.

Edited by Broony88