The Queen of the South thread

Sure we will see at least a couple of players dign today after yesterdays trisl game, hope Saunders and Hutton bith put pen to paper we need another Durnan type player at the back ie Saunders do we can play our strongest side with a 352 formation.

Im gonna be bold and predict all 4 sign. Hutton and Heffernan on 1 year deals and Gros and Saunders on 6 months. I reckon we have room for 4 more.

We have certainly got room for the 4, but wouldn't be surprised if we got couple of loanee's in to boost the squad also. Edited by SUPERSOUTH

I would only sign one of the two strikers which would allow us to continue to develop our fine young striker in Aidan Smith. If we sign another two strikers chances will be further limited and would be a shame if he isn't given enough opportunities. Hutton and Saunders would be decent signings but Gross and Heffernan wouldn't really excite me.

I would only sign one of the two strikers which would allow us to continue to develop our fine young striker in Aidan Smith. If we sign another two strikers chances will be further limited and would be a shame if he isn't given enough opportunities. Hutton and Saunders would be decent signings but Gross and Heffernan wouldn't really excite me.

Agree with this. Rather than out and out strikers, Id like to see at least one wide player come in. Someone like Russell who could also play up front. That way, we have another option on the wing, Smith remains as 3rd choice striker but we also have more cover up front

Not too much to take but here are quotes from Carlisle News & Star match report that are relevant to us. Sounds quite complementary of Heffernan but I have no idea about the quality of the opposition.

United were punished by two Paul Heffernan strikes for the Doonhamers, whose assistant manager is the ex-Workington boss Gavin Skelton.

They were taught a lesson in finishing, in fact, by the well-travelled Heffernan, who pounced on chances in either half. The 33-year-old, once a United target during Greg Abbott’s reign, showed appetite to get onto the breaking ball and both his strikes were put away with minimum fuss and maximum conviction.

United were then punished on 19 minutes after losing the ball high up the field. Teenage Queens winger Aidan Smith showed neat control to jink through Carlisle’s left side and tee up Heffernan, who slotted home.

Carlisle rebuilt, often through the accurate passing of Dicker, and continued to spend much of the game in Queens territory.

The final delivery often failed the Blues from these areas, and they were cut open again on 69 minutes, when Billing was beaten in the tackle and Heffernan was sent sprinting into the right channel before striking confidently across Hanford.

United could do with a dash of that finishing expertise when serious business gets under way.

Think Gros ticks both boxes for winger and striker. Sure he played on the wing at times for Killie. Heffernan scored 2 in the judgement game so couldn't really have done more. If Tapping and Millar are both out and question marks exist over Tapping's ability to get fit then Hutton should be signed. Saunders can play rb aswell so fills 2 positions. Agree young Smith looks a fantastic talent. If anything he looks even better than Reilly did at his age. But to expect him to perform to a high level most weeks is a big ask for someone so young

Think Gros ticks both boxes for winger and striker. Sure he played on the wing at times for Killie. Heffernan scored 2 in the judgement game so couldn't really have done more. If Tapping and Millar are both out and question marks exist over Tapping's ability to get fit then Hutton should be signed. Saunders can play rb aswell so fills 2 positions. Agree young Smith looks a fantastic talent. If anything he looks even better than Reilly did at his age. But to expect him to perform to a high level most weeks is a big ask for someone so young

My only concern with Heffernan is, is he fit enough to start games and genuinely challenge Hilson and Lyle for a place? If the answer is no, then all hes, effectively, doing is competing with Smith for a place on the bench.

Marshal is only 18 and Kidd is only 20, both seem likely to feature more often than not in the starting 11. I dont see any reason why Smith cant too

If Saunders signed, it would allow Kidd to be pushed further forward. Either wing back or right wing.

Would like to see us go to a back to three if we sign Saunders.

My preferred team for Saturday

Atkinson

Dowie Higgins Saunders

Kidd Jacobs Conroy Russell

Smith

Hilson Lyle

Eta if we don't sign Saunders I would include Hooper and if Tapping is fit tapping in for Russell and play conroy on the left.

Edited by Broony88

Would like to see us go to a back to three if we sign Saunders.

Dowie Higgins Saunders

I think you can be fairly certain that if we signed Saunders and played that back three Higgins would be on the left of it and Dowie sweeping in the middle as he did last season when we played a three. Saunders is more right sided.

I think you can be fairly certain that if we signed Saunders and played that back three Higgins would be on the left of it and Dowie sweeping in the middle as he did last season when we played a three. Saunders is more right sided.

Yeah I noticed that after posting the team but couldn't be bothered to change it. We got a good amount of joy with that formation and would like to try it with our new personnel.

My only concern with Heffernan is, is he fit enough to start games and genuinely challenge Hilson and Lyle for a place? If the answer is no, then all hes, effectively, doing is competing with Smith for a place on the bench.

Marshal is only 18 and Kidd is only 20, both seem likely to feature more often than not in the starting 11. I dont see any reason why Smith cant too

Totally agree would be a waste of time signing him just to fill a space on the bench. Players of that ilk should only be signed if they are going to improve the team and if Fowler deems him good enough then he could go on to good things. We have a habit of signing players with a point to prove and then getting rewarded with good performances. Partick fans warned us what a waste of space Kerr was playing wise, but with us he was excellent in a playing capacity. Heffernan has shown that in certain teams with certain systems he can score numerous goals.

I'd take Hutton and Saunders now, think we can afford to wait to get right player for upfront/wing. Hilson and tanman seem to be getting a decent partnership and we've Aiden, jake and beany in reserve if need be. Right wing is where we seem really short.

Totally agree would be a waste of time signing him just to fill a space on the bench. Players of that ilk should only be signed if they are going to improve the team and if Fowler deems him good enough then he could go on to good things. We have a habit of signing players with a point to prove and then getting rewarded with good performances. Partick fans warned us what a waste of space Kerr was playing wise, but with us he was excellent in a playing capacity. Heffernan has shown that in certain teams with certain systems he can score numerous goals.

Theres no doubting Heffernans ability its his fitness Im concerned about. He almost signed for Falkirk before Houston said his "legs were gone"

I'd take Hutton and Saunders now, think we can afford to wait to get right player for upfront/wing. Hilson and tanman seem to be getting a decent partnership and we've Aiden, jake and beany in reserve if need be. Right wing is where we seem really short.

Pickard has always played midfield when hes come on. You missed out Higgins, but its hard to know whether hes likely to feature much in the first team or not.

Russell has been converted into a left winger but I wouldnt mind seeing him on the right

Agreed.