The General Ross County Chat Thread

In other news, Dark Blue Saturday was two years ago today.  Arquin AWOL; Hamill knocking over Adams; and Brian McLean up front.

Bad times. I was convinced we were going down after that and the St Mirren game a fortnight later. Thankfully a vintage Hibsing saved us and we somehow ended up finishing 7th.

What happened to Reckord? He was a player i was always really impressed by. Was he actually mince?

No and yes. 

He immediately improved the team but then the club previously didn't have a left-back worthy of the position.

Even at his best, he was always susceptible to getting caught out of position.  He was reluctant to tuck in and was prone to switching off.  The manager used to always be on at him from the touchline, more so than any other player (speaking as someone who regularly sits in the west stand behind the dug outs). 

Aberdeen exploited that in the 4-0 at Pittodrie in Feb 2015.  He was good in County's incredible run after that, until the end of the season, but County only played bottom-six teams from that point onwards.

I think a mixture of teams sussing him out and a dose of bad luck did for him.  Generally he's a fairly athletic, good enough defender with a pretty good cross when he sets himself, but he needs to work on his concentration. 

County didn't offer a new contract because Ricky Foster is more dependable at left-back and there is a good u20 player ready for more game time.

Bad times. I was convinced we were going down after that and the St Mirren game a fortnight later. Thankfully a vintage Hibsing saved us and we somehow ended up finishing 7th.

Thank you Hibs.

I think Gregg Wylde got a contract at Plymouth on the basis of that goal.

I have mixed emotions thinking about the end of that season.

Edited by bunglebonce

I've been saying it for a while now but:

Tyrone Smith @TyroneSTV: Ross County boss Jim McIntyre says he doesn't expect striker Craig Curran to play for the Staggies again this season

Hopefully he can stay healthy and be back for pre season. He's had miserable luck with all his ailments.

Yup. With multiple concussions coupled with everything else, he has to be extremely careful.

In all honesty, I'm not even sure he'll be back for the start of pre season.

:thumsup2

He said in that rosscounty.tv interview that it took him a while to settle.  Since and including the time he scored against Celtic in the LC semi, he has scored a goal every other game.

Brian Graham has done similar since the turn of the year, while Craig Curran was on the same ratio this season before suffering concussion again.

---

Liam Boyce had 17 goals in 23 appearances before the broken hand.  He hasn't scored a league goal in 2016 though.  He looked utterly dejected coming off the pitch at Celtic, knowing he should've put at least one of his chances away.

With Conor Washington coming into the N.I. squad from nowhere, then scoring the only goal vs Slovenia in the last friendly, I think Boyce has lost his place as third-choice striker behind Lafferty and Magennis.  If there are only four strikers going, it might be between Boyce and Billy Mckay for the last position.  I don't see five strikers being picked, because they are likely to use Lafferty as the lone striker as they did through most of qualifying - Lafferty wasn't playing much football at all until April, but is on loan at Birmingham and is playing now.

I haven't seen the Euro 2016 sticker album, but apparently Boyce is in it.  Hopefully that counts for something!

Either way its going to be a big pre-season for Boyce.  He needs to get himself fit and ready to go again.  Since coming back from the hand injury he has looked a different player, this being backed up by his woeful goal return. 

---

Liam Boyce had 17 goals in 23 appearances before the broken hand.  He hasn't scored a league goal in 2016 though.  He looked utterly dejected coming off the pitch at Celtic, knowing he should've put at least one of his chances away.

With Conor Washington coming into the N.I. squad from nowhere, then scoring the only goal vs Slovenia in the last friendly, I think Boyce has lost his place as third-choice striker behind Lafferty and Magennis.  If there are only four strikers going, it might be between Boyce and Billy Mckay for the last position.  I don't see five strikers being picked, because they are likely to use Lafferty as the lone striker as they did through most of qualifying - Lafferty wasn't playing much football at all until April, but is on loan at Birmingham and is playing now.

I haven't seen the Euro 2016 sticker album, but apparently Boyce is in it.  Hopefully that counts for something!

I hope for Liam's sake he gets into the squad and gets some playing time in the finals but I fear his chance may be gone due to his loss of form and the emergence of Washington.  

Hopefully he bags a couple of hat-tricks for us before now and the end of the season, we're giving him plenty game time and creating plenty of chances for him!

He definitely is in there. Although the England squad doesn't have Dier or Alli, so it doesn't seem like Panini's selections are going to be adhered to. :(