The General Ross County Chat Thread

Shame about Boyce. Grigg is a good player though and deserves to go. Not so sure that Washington merits it more than Boyce over the season, but Washington came in and scored for NI in their previous friendly after Boyce was sent home with the broken hand.

Magennis has pace and power, much more than Boyce, which goes a fair way when playing a counter stacking style against better teams.

It's a shame that we didn't come up with a catchy Boyce chant to the tune of a forgotten 90s pop song before the Wigan fans managed to.

Wait... it's not based on Alicia Keys' "Girl on Fire"?

798180.jpg

(I hadn't actually watched the video or listened to the song)

I came here to offer my sincerest apologies and condolences, because Kenny van der Weg is one of the poorest footballers featured in our professional leagues last season.

Not to say he is a bad defender, his physique is incredible (he was a construction worker before signing with NAC three seasons ago), and he has an excellent mentality, but he has zero technique and virtually no intelligence on the pitch; absolutely dreadful at defending free kicks 'n corners too. I've seen him play a number of times in real life (in the Dutch cup against Vitesse and 3 league matches against FC Utrecht) and every other weekend or so on tv, and I still can't really believe a Scottish prem team would sign him.

Mind you, Dutch football is rather frivolous and focused on attacking and 4-3-3, so van der Weg will likely fare better in the more defensive and physical Scottish league and may even become an even bigger cult hero than he is here, but temper your expectations.

Here's a good interview with him by the leading Dutch footy magazine, google translate might keep it reasonably readable;

http://www.vi.nl/premium-kennismaking/kenny-van-der-weg-laat-iedereen-maar-lachen-2.htm

Edited by DutchBorderer

Thanks for that. His "highlights" reel on YouTube doesn't show much in the way of technique. Ross County need to be more difficult to score against and he seems good at defending 1v1, which is needed.

He might not be the first choice left-back, but he will be the only senior left-footed full-back in the squad, so he might well start the season as first choice.

I look forward to seeing him in July.

Forgot to add, he was, on average, the worst player of the 14/15 Eredivisie season (players were handed grades 1 to 10 for each match they played).

Wish him the best though. Doubt his career can crash harder than Melvin de Leeuw's after being at Ross County; he's playing for a semi-pro club in rural Thailand last I heard.....

I'm not holding a massive amount of hope for the guy, but lets be honest, technique isn't all that important in defence in Scotland. Size and strength goes a long way instead. I'm sure there's plenty of defenders in this country we could think of as an example.

Melvin de Leeuw is an odd one, was one of our best players but his personal life just fell to bits. If he'd stayed fully focused, he'd have probably spent last season on Celtic's bench.

Also BB, why wait until July? BUDAPEST.

Edit: Scratch that, even Budapest is July, just.

Edited by Spain

Also BB, why wait until July? BUDAPEST.

I wanted to go but decided on doing other things this summer.

I just watched the nine or so minutes that Irvine had against England.  He had that one trademark pass over defence that didn't reach a man, but other than that looked pretty comfortable.  His agent will be rubbing his hands.

What Was the name of the fella you guys signed in your 1st season in the premier?

We were after him but he chose you guys and sat on the bench a lot.

I know I'm not giving you much info but I can't remember too much of him and it's driving me mad