The General Ross County Chat Thread

2 hours ago, Pete the Jakey said:

Naughty step 😂

It's back.

Have to say I don't warm to Adams saying that, though PFA might not like it, he'd rather have people on 6 month contracts "to keep them hungry". Apart from it smacking of the old fashioned player exploitation /enslavement of yesteryear, how is he going to get players to come up here when they'll get a better deal elsewhere? 

On 26/11/2023 at 13:25, Comrie said:

The first division winning team was a very narrow midfield. Width was usually the job of Scotty Mo or Gary Miller.

I think the only out and out winger we had was Coco.

Sproule back in 2013?

In my head I've got recollection of lopsided formation with Ivan as winger on one side with Oikonomou as rampaging fullback on the other?

5 minutes ago, Rosscubed said:

Sproule back in 2013?

In my head I've got recollection of lopsided formation with Ivan as winger on one side with Oikonomou as rampaging fullback on the other?

Vigurs was on the left. It was a 4-1-4-1. Oikonomou could hold his own on from left back and Vigurs was given licence to come inside and link with Sproule to great effect. 

Edited by bunglebonce

14 minutes ago, bunglebonce said:

Vigurs was on the left. It was a 4-1-4-1. Oikonomou could hold his own on from left back and Vigurs was given licence to come inside and link with Sproule to great effect. 

Ah, right enough, that takes me back. To paraphrase the words of Maximus, "There was once a dream that was free flowing Ross County full width football . You could only whisper it. Anything more than a whisper and it would vanish... it was so fragile." Or something like that.

12 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

FF213880-74D7-4CC7-970D-C0B6DCB7131B.thumb.jpeg.25a56cefaff3ca0b9ca12aa78a97c1d7.jpeg

Excuse the shoddy cut and paste, but this has me more than a little alarmed. We are looking at a whole new team every year under Adams aren’t we? The likes of Dhanda will be offski. 

Yeah.  Screams preparing for relegation to me. 

Not a fan of the short-termism. 

He must be livid that the whole squad - apart from a handful - are signed up for another 18 months. Laidlaw and Josh Reid are here for another year beyond that, too.

ETA He does have a point, but I think the short-termism was part of what did for Adams at the end of his last spell. Why would players in the central belt move to the Highlands for a one-year contract? In Adams's last spell, he signed Joe Cardle on a one-year deal and he wasn't good enough for the top flight. You're not going to get players of a good enough calibre on that basis.

Edited by bunglebonce

It's a shop window for players. Can only imagine the logic is players are maybe reluctant to sign long contracts before moving up incase Highland life isn't for them.

It works for the club because it's prudent to make sure you're not left paying Premiership wages to players if things go wrong. Not sure how likely a player is to sign a 2 year deal with a relegation clause in it, as opposed to a 1 year deal.

The above not to say I agree with the approach, but the logic is there.

1 hour ago, bunglebonce said:

He must be livid that the whole squad - apart from a handful - are signed up for another 18 months. Laidlaw and Josh Reid are here for another year beyond that, too.

ETA He does have a point, but I think the short-termism was part of what did for Adams at the end of his last spell. Why would players in the central belt move to the Highlands for a one-year contract? In Adams's last spell, he signed Joe Cardle on a one-year deal and he wasn't good enough for the top flight. You're not going to get players of a good enough calibre on that basis.

Does it not completely remove any chance of selling a player for a decent fee, ala Ross Stewart?  Why would a club pay for a player mid season knowing they will be out of contract in a matter of months.

20 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

Aye, can't say I love it. The constant turnover in the last Adams era was often infuriating, it could take months for the squad to gel and even then there were far too many mad panics in the January window.

Meanwhile in the part of Adams reign we remember more fondly the playing staff was relatively stable. And it largely paid off. Look at how long people like Kettlewell, Gardyne, Boyd, Brittain etc were around.

18 minutes ago, forkboy said:

Aye, can't say I love it. The constant turnover in the last Adams era was often infuriating, it could take months for the squad to gel and even then there were far too many mad panics in the January window.

Meanwhile in the part of Adams reign we remember more fondly the playing staff was relatively stable. And it largely paid off. Look at how long people like Kettlewell, Gardyne, Boyd, Brittain etc were around.

As always, I take what Adams says with a barrowload of salt. 

1 hour ago, USSR Tycoon said:

Hearing rumours that Brophy's absence is down to Adams not liking him.

I sincerely hope this is not the case as he is by far our best forward and we most ceratinly need him!

A bit reminiscent of the days of the naughty step for Paul lawson et al.

Was DA able to get MM to drop him too? Brophy has been a perma croc for years but now DA is manager he's fit and being denied 😆

Sounds like a lazy wind up imho

43 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer🏴 said:

Was DA able to get MM to drop him too? Brophy has been a perma croc for years but now DA is manager he's fit and being denied 😆

Sounds like a lazy wind up imho

He’s right there in the autograph signing photos.  It’s absurd twaddle.