The General Ross County Chat Thread

7 hours ago, Weird Fishes said:

I have noticed a new trend floating around Twitter/X: the “oh yeah, he played for (insert team name here!)” XI. I thought I would give it a go on this here Sunday evening given I am a sad 32 year old with nothing better to do:

Paul Gallacher

Jonathan Bateson

Callum Semple

Abdoulaye Meite

Ben Gordon

Michael Tidser

Mark Fotheringham

Oscar Gobern

Darvydas Sernas

John Stewart

Chris Burke

I tried to keep it to the last 15 years or so. Are there any glaring omissions there?

Danny Armstrong would be one, I would think. 

Just now, StoneThrowAway said:

What an abundance of dross we've signed over the years...

Baxter
Fenlon / H Souttar  / Dreesen / Celcer
Di Giacamo / Andreu / Palazuelos / Tanser / Eagles
Mikkelsen

Harsh on Di Giacomo.  But agreed on all the rest.  Tony Andreu was such a busted flush.   

Di Giacomo started really well for us, it just fell to bits after the first few months.

I also thought Tidser was pretty good. He just went on big money in the english 5th tier from memory when we tried to get him permanently. 

Also, where's big Atli Gregersen? He could hardly even run.

Edited by Comrie

I can't remember his name, but around the same time we had Boukraa & Escalon, wasn't there another French midfielder that was on the books, who'd spent some time at Norwich City or somewhere like that? I think his surname started with a C but I'm struggling to remember anymore than that.

Other question, was Tassos Venetis any good? Because all I really remember him for was scoring a hat-trick against Caley.

9 minutes ago, forkboy said:

I can't remember his name, but around the same time we had Boukraa & Escalon, wasn't there another French midfielder that was on the books, who'd spent some time at Norwich City or somewhere like that? I think his surname started with a C but I'm struggling to remember anymore than that.

Other question, was Tassos Venetis any good? Because all I really remember him for was scoring a hat-trick against Caley.

Cedric Anselin.  He was okay.  Didn’t have his troubles to seek off the pitch.    Excellent bloke by all accounts.  

Venetis was probably no worse than at least one of our current midfielders, but suffered from Alex Smith’s turgid style - that one game excepted.  

3 hours ago, forkboy said:

I must have been very drunk 🤔?

9 minutes ago, StuartTaylor said:

I must have been very drunk 🤔?

No, apparently I just hallucinated the entire thing: http://staggiearchive.co.uk/matchdetails.php?id=700

The only derby Venetis played in and he scored 1 and assisted on another it assuredly wasn't a hat-trick. But I'd have bet everything that it was. I was absolutely certain I remember it that way.

Memory is weird sometimes

Ah, that game. Unfortunately a Tuesday night so we couldn't get absolutely bladdered.

I could have named 4 of the scorers but Kevin McLeish completely escapes my memory.

Looking at those teams/subs, 8 from Caley also played for us, and 4 the other way around? And manager Robbo of course had a short stint on the right side of the bridge.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Hugh Robertson was credited with scoring directly from an indirect free kick in that game.  

That was brilliant. You cannot beat an indirect freekick from 6 yards out just punted at the wall on the line as hard as possible & hoping for it to bounce in.

10 hours ago, StuartTaylor said:

Did it not come off Hislops arse iirc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROuaFbH8Ofg&t=20s

Yup.  If all the ICT players had dived out the way, it wouldn’t have counted.  

Eta you even see the County players explaining the rule to Irvine on the retake.  

edit: I can’t remember the last time I saw a pass back indirect free kick from inside the box. 

Edited by Savage Henry

19 minutes ago, Pete the Jakey said:

It was clearly an unsustainable operation, with a complete lack of oversight by a rudderless board, but by Christ that Gardener has a lot to answer for. 

He really does.  Completely duplicitous.  

I sense a return of the fans’ derby charity matches.   

A question:

Are Ross County better off with a strong ICT and regular Highland Derbies, or a weak or even defunct ICT?

The received wisdom is that we have a symbiotic relationship.

But I wonder if, in the long run, we'd be better off without them? The evidence suggests the Highlands isn't big enough (in terms of population) to sustain two top level teams. If they fade in to obscurity or go under then that gives us the opportunity to hoover up all the support, player talent and business interest in the region.

That process is perhaps underway already, and I, for one, would be happy enough to see it continue. Thoughts?