The General Ross County Chat Thread

Chilvers and Nisbet both on three year deals. Let's hope there's a useful way to fit them in the same line-up. The 3-5-2 wouldn't work for them I don't think, it would leave the other central midfielder too exposed defensively - I am particularly thinking of Randall, Turner and Dhanda in the middle in the 0-4 rout at Pittodrie last September.

If both are picked, we are likely to continue to see the narrow 4-2-2-2-ish setup, or with three at the back it would be a 3-4-2-1. In both cases, the only width is coming from the full-backs/wing-backs and there's no pace in the team to make a defence have to think about sitting back, which would stretch the pitch and make room for the playmakers. I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for Robeston showing up well in the coming months.

lineup(1).png.6cb32c9572b8e7b55ffd0c63562d4d40.pnglineup(2).png.78be56749a46c73fbdcf3a783f8424d3.png

Edited by bunglebonce

Saw the short itnerview with him the club put out, poor bugger looked like he was straight off the plane, he seemed exhausted.

Hope he's getting used to the fact a Scottish summer is probably colder than an Aussie winter

On 23/08/2024 at 09:01, central staggie said:

I believe he can play any role in the middle.

If you believe Wikipedia he can also play on the wing 👀

I haven’t seen Robesten play, but he’s the only winger they have. The lack of pace and width is bordering on negligent at this point.  

Edited by Savage Henry

Genuinely excited to see what Nisbet can bring to the team, hopefully the system can be adapted to make the most of his talents and he doesn’t just get shoehorned into what the team is already doing. We look pretty frail defensively so far I think, Don needs to be careful not to open up the midfield too much in search of that extra creativity, or it might bite us.

1 hour ago, forkboy said:

Saw the short itnerview with him the club put out, poor bugger looked like he was straight off the plane, he seemed exhausted.

Hope he's getting used to the fact a Scottish summer is probably colder than an Aussie winter

He did look done in bless him!

23 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

I haven’t seen Robeston play, but he’s the only winger they have. The lack of pace and width is bordering on negligent at this point.  

The number 11 shirt has not been filled yet so still hoping there is something in the pipeline

I absolutely get that Don Cowie's thing is that he's calm, unflappable etc, but I really want to see some sort of outward reaction from him, on an emotional level, that demonstrates that he fundamentally understands that getting beaten by Spartans, Brora and then completely rolling over to Rangers for a humiliation like today isn't acceptable. 

I'm not sure I can handle another phelgmatic shrug it off/we're looking ahead/it's all under control line.

PS I absolutely get the concept of presenting one face to the media/fans vs the internal communication with players etc, I just want to see some indication that Don realises that we're in a bad run, and that he's going to take responsibility for doing something about it. 

40 minutes ago, Sonam said:

Don Cowie needs more money for players quite frankly. At the moment I feel he is being hung out to dry.

Surely that’s a windup? 
Paid fees for Chilvers, Wright and Hale, and I would assume Nisbet will be on decent wages…

Edited by StoneThrowAway

1 hour ago, Sonam said:

Don Cowie needs more money for players quite frankly. At the moment I feel he is being hung out to dry.

the shagger jim days of multiple boys being on £4k+ are long gone

I think it's the fact that Don Cowie, being a local, I really want him to succeed. Can't think of another recent manager that I wanted to do as well.

Just can't see it. Sure, we have Strikers. Hale is good, but he needs a partner or two that can provide excellent service. I would really like White to step up and do well, but just can't see it.

Murray was a huge loss. 

I guess I'm also sick fed up of the poor starts to the season and being out of the league cup to a team County should have beaten.

Is anyone really confident County will beat Aberdeen next?

2 minutes ago, Sonam said:

I think it's the fact that Don Cowie, being a local, I really want him to succeed. Can't think of another recent manager that I wanted to do as well.

Just can't see it. Sure, we have Strikers. Hale is good, but he needs a partner or two that can provide excellent service. I would really like White to step up and do well, but just can't see it.

Murray was a huge loss. 

I guess I'm also sick fed up of the poor starts to the season and being out of the league cup to a team County should have beaten.

Is anyone really confident County will beat Aberdeen next?

You don’t half spout some shite

In Sept, the home games against Dundee and especially St. Johnstone are going to be crucial. Does anyone believe County will get 6 points from those games?

Then away to Hearts, possibly perhaps 1 point there if lucky. 

Really hope to see me eating my words so to speak. Will see what happens...