The General Ross County Chat Thread

Presumably it's been made worth his while, because he's certainly good enough for the Championship at the very least. (Frankly think he could still hack the SPL but I was always a big fan of Lawson)

Presumably it's been made worth his while, because he's certainly good enough for the Championship at the very least. (Frankly think he could still hack the SPL but I was always a big fan of Lawson)

I knew about this a while back, but it wasn't because they were flashing the cash at him or anything. It was more just realism. Injury blighted, didn't want to start working his way down the leagues without a proper career. Roy could well be right, the leagues could end up being forced down a more part-time route but actually by the players themselves.

There's plenty feedback on the Nairn friendly on OTB that is worth checking out, and I agree with most of it, but here are some truncated thoughts:-

• I'd be surprised if 'Jonny' Henly doesn't get signed. He looked so composed in goal. He's not commanding but caught what came his way. He shone in his distribution, he was quite happy to chip the ball out to the full-backs and use both feet. He won't be as casual in competitive games but it bodes well.
  • Davies looks brilliant, the best of the lot, but we will need to see how he copes with Celtic's pace up front.
  • Robertson could be a good player. I saw plenty of him that was very good but also a few chinks that I want to give the benefit of the doubt over in pre-season.
  • Foster had a pretty decent 45 but Fraser looked more accomplished.
  • Holden is super quick, there won't be many to run past him. He looks and plays so much like a left sided Maatsen.
  • Murdoch was 90% class. Won the ball, spread it about, he looked a more all-round player than the holding midfielder with dodgy positioning who left Scotland.
  • McShane was quality on the ball and had a lot of energy in his pressing. But he wasn't integral to the flow of the match in the half that he played. Which is what I was expecting, really. He's smaller than I thought he was too.
  • Franks played on the right and was more of a hug-the-touchline winger than I thought he would be. He beat his man and put in a number of crosses.
  • Graham was aggressive, dangerous in the air and, to my delight, linked up play superbly. The way he would lay off first-time passes into the wingers' stride raised the benchmark for Curran and Boyce, who already did a pretty good job at it. He completely mistimed a header at the far post, which I'm not worried about as the first chance that came his way in pre-season. Everything else about his play makes me think that he's going to be a very good signing.
  • The familiar faces played as expected, but Boyce looked quite laboured compared to a couple of months ago. He obviously doesn't have the natural fitness of others but I'm sure he'll be sharp in three weeks.

It was certainly a far more comfortable result than the scoreline suggested and we looked streets ahead of where we have been at the same stage of pre-season over the past few years. I was very impressed by Franks, but Adam Naismith gave him far more space than any other left back will this season. I had no idea that it wasn't Fox in goal until the second half! It was also the first County game I've been to that was accompanied by the soothing sound of monster trucks.

Apparently Tuesday's training was the first time the players have used a football since they have been back, everything else has been fitness related.

That's the thing with Franks, he reached the byline every time, but he needs to be tested by a better full-back before we know if he can do that on a regular basis. But it's a good option to have in the squad at least - he offered a different approach to Dingwall coming in from the left.

He's a far, far better player than that. I'd take him back in a heartbeat.

Agreed. Maybe didnt show it last season, but had a few mitigating circumstances. Give him a run of half a dozen games in his favoured position and I'm confident he'd be back to his best (i.e. one of our best). Would love to see him and Irvine reunited in centre-mid and given the opportunity to develop a partnership.

I can appreciate that some would want him back, as there is a good player in there but the wages he was meant to be costing us doubled with the fact he was pretty gash (like most of the team before February) then was at best a backup player once we did start to get going, meant he was never going to come back on a permanent contract.

Seen a Huddersfield Town fan saying on Twitter that they are sending us a 19 year old midfielder called Phillip Billing on loan. He's only made 1 appearance which is quite uninspiring. Not exactly a reliable source but thought I'd share it seen as there's f**k all happening.

Seen a Huddersfield Town fan saying on Twitter that they are sending us a 19 year old midfielder called Phillip Billing on loan. He's only made 1 appearance which is quite uninspiring. Not exactly a reliable source but thought I'd share it seen as there's f**k all happening.

According to Wiki he's 6'4", stood out for Huddersfield u-19s and u-21s, and has played for Denmark u-19.

Seems to have done well for a Huddersfield u-21 team, that did well this season:

http://www.htafc.com/news/article/huddersfield-town-philip-billing-under-21s-swansea-city-2452520.aspx

Fair enough the source for the rumour is shite, and he's not Jackson Irvine, but as Biscuitty Boyce said: there's f**k all happening.

According to Wiki he's 6'4", stood out for Huddersfield u-19s and u-21s, and has played for Denmark u-19.

Seems to have done well for a Huddersfield u-21 team, that did well this season:

http://www.htafc.com/news/article/huddersfield-town-philip-billing-under-21s-swansea-city-2452520.aspx

Fair enough the source for the rumour is shite, and he's not Jackson Irvine, but as Biscuitty Boyce said: there's f**k all happening.

He's tall. If he can run about as well, he ticks all of Scottish football's boxes.

He's got a 'fro (of sorts) by the looks of things. That ticks the "magnificent hair" box. Also he's from Denmark, so if he does sign no longer will I need an excuse to wear fetching Nordic knitwear to games.

He's got a 'fro (of sorts) by the looks of things. That ticks the "magnificent hair" box. Also he's from Denmark, so if he does sign no longer will I need an excuse to wear fetching Nordic knitwear to games.

Found/saw some pics where it was braided, hopefully its back to a fro now.

Wary as a Dane he wont like being referred to as Nordic. So if he signs im going to wear a suit of Danish bacon, kinda like lady gaga, but less of a c**t.

Edited by dingdong1929

This is so far from left field, I think there might be something to it. We're looking to sign a central midfielder who isn't Jackson Irvine, and we also have someone scouting the north of England for us. All fits.