BBC's Grovelling Apology

13 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

I had always wondered why BBC Scotland gave them any coverage at all while they were in a ‘dispute’ with them?

Because they are utter shitebags and largely subscribe to the Scotland only having 2 teams that make the whole thing worthwhile mantra.

Edited by Ludo*1

The BBC admitting that they weren't accurate or balanced when it came to Rangers is huge.

Admitting that they ignored their editorial standards when it came to Rangers is a step in the right direction but maybe too little to late.

I wonder if we'll still see the usual trial by sportscene this season...

30 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Tough one for BBC's Scottish football journalists. I'd be seeking alternative employment, that's dreadful from the BBC.

Integrity out the window, staff under the bus.

Thats a good point. 

Reports will be put off reporting anything remotely negative about Rangers for the foreseeable. I can imagine there will be some editorial pressure to not do so as well. Not only does it ruin integrity it makes the journlists job basically pointless. Not writing what you think is appropriate but what you're expected to write. 

EXACTLY what Rangers want though. They've played a blinder as far as they're concerned! 

27 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I have a friend who contracts for the BBC. Does match reports etc.

He says there was a call on Zoom this morning to explain the apology. Lots of unhappy people.

Lovely 😂

1 minute ago, bennett said:

The BBC admitting that they weren't accurate or balanced when it came to Rangers is huge.

Admitting that they ignored their editorial standards when it came to Rangers is a step in the right direction but maybe too little to late.

I wonder if we'll still see the usual trial by sportscene this season...

The one thing that fucks me off with that trial by sportscene thing they do. 

When incidents similar happen for or against my team, its barely given a second mention. I don't have a problem with them looking at something in great detail and giving their views on it. I just want that kind of even coverage to work not just with Old Firm incidents. 

As we know we see some howlers from officials week in week out across the country on a matchday. I've seen countless shockers watching St Johnstone in the last 12 months. 

I'm just ranting now!

What will happen the next time UEFA sanction Sevco for their bigoted pish? Will they not report it all or will they just say Sevco were fined but not mention why? 

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Are there any examples of what coverage failed to meet editorial standards?

Michael Stewart calling out Traynor as a bully and then being forced by the BBC to apologise seems to be the one they're latching onto.

21 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

They banned Chris McLaughlin (and Graham Spiers) for highlighting some nasty anti catholic behaviour from RFC fans at Easter Road 

I think he merely stated a fact that some had been arrested for sectarian offences. 

But rangers had won a game of football and they felt undue emphasis was being put on the factual report that people were arrested, not their happy wee victory. 

27 minutes ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

Are there any examples of what coverage failed to meet editorial standards?

I for one am really glad this was included in the statement. Doesn't at all make it read like "we were mean to Rangers we're sorry please let us back in." Just saying that with no context, explanation or detail might make the BBC look mighty foolish.