House of the Dragon

IrishBhoy

I love that I'm the sort of eejit that can watch a show, snd immediately after remember precious little about it. Because that also makes me the sort of person that reads a spoiler, but have forgotten it by the time I watch the relevant show. 

I think they are doing a better job that GoT did of the whole "people suffer when these p***ks stsrt fighting among themselves" narrative. Its not special like early GoT was, but I'm still enjoying it all the same. 

Per the book, I did expect Blood and Cheese to be even more grim than was portrayed, but nonetheless, the show is still cooking.

13 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I think they are doing a better job that GoT did of the whole "people suffer when these p***ks stsrt fighting among themselves" narrative. Its not special like early GoT was, but I'm still enjoying it all the same. 

I agree, GoT at least had clear good and bad guys, here they’re ultimately all p***ks fighting amongst themselves. Even though all the troops in GoT where just guy’s from different parts of the realm they at least partially believed in their lord/cause. They’ll just be cannon fodder here. It really does capture the futility of war, thousands die because rich entitled p***ks think the world belongs to them.

I also enjoy the online discourse of “you can’t like them, they’re awful”. They’re all awful, every person is  objectively a c**t. I’m team green purely because Aegon seems a good laugh and Olivia Cooke is gorgeous.  

I'm really enjoying it, but it just isn't for the casual GoT fans. Even i am struggling to get my head round the relationship of each character. You have a scene with Aegon, Rhaenya and Helena, and by the time you remember they are all siblings and two of them are also married to each other and Criston  Cole still looks exactly the same as he did when he shagged Rhaenya about 20 years before the actual scene you are watching, you have no idea what the scene was actually about.

On 25/06/2024 at 20:56, The Golden God said:

I agree, GoT at least had clear good and bad guys, here they’re ultimately all p***ks fighting amongst themselves. Even though all the troops in GoT where just guy’s from different parts of the realm they at least partially believed in their lord/cause. They’ll just be cannon fodder here. It really does capture the futility of war, thousands die because rich entitled p***ks think the world belongs to them.

I also enjoy the online discourse of “you can’t like them, they’re awful”. They’re all awful, every person is  objectively a c**t. I’m team green purely because Aegon seems a good laugh and Olivia Cooke is gorgeous.  

There were some unredeemable bad guys in GoT, but a lot of the time they shifted from bad to good and vice versa, then somewhere in between.  

Episode three was thoroughly enjoyable and adds nicely to what is to come. Three of the four dragon eggs sent across to Essos are the ones later gifted to Daenerys.

Do not click this spoiler if you haven't read Fire and Blood. 😅

Must be the Sack of Duskendale and the Battle at Rook's Rest next week. First death of a major character as well (Rhaenys). Reviews suggest it will be absolutely epic.

9 minutes ago, Elixir said:

Episode three was thoroughly enjoyable and adds nicely to what is to come. Three of the four dragon eggs sent across to Essos are the ones later gifted to Daenerys.

Do not click this spoiler if you haven't read Fire and Blood. 😅

Reveal hidden contents

Must be the Sack of Duskendale and the Battle at Rook's Rest next week. First death of a major character as well (Rhaenys). Reviews suggest it will be absolutely epic.

Didn't know about the eggs.

They should have made it just the 3 so idiots like me could have assumed they were Danys eggs.

51 minutes ago, Venti said:

Didn't know about the eggs.

They should have made it just the 3 so idiots like me could have assumed they were Danys eggs.

It's different to how the eggs are thought to end up in Essos in the book, but understandable why the show would change it.

Yeah this is better than GoT. The good stuff without all that zombies, tree men and faceless men nonsense.

8 hours ago, Lex said:

Yeah this is better than GoT. The good stuff without all that zombies, tree men and faceless men nonsense.

It's not as good as S1-S4, but obviously that's an insanely high bar. It's certainly superior to the bulk of S5-S8, though. If they never fucked the ending of Thrones, HotD would probably be far bigger than it is.

I see some people on X are complaining about the lack of action. 🥴 It wasn't the action and battles that made GoT the phenomenon it was. That certainly added a lot to it, but it was the scheming and politicking that made it special. The last two seasons in particular were a disaster precisely because dialogue and plot were sacrificed for set pieces, with not enough time to let things build. At least HotD will end properly because GRRM actually finished this part of the overall story.

There certainly won't be a lack of action or 'things happening' for much longer...