Forfar Athletic -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 27 August 2022)

Here we go! It's a meeting between two of the most under-performing and under-pressure managers in League 2 as Forfar Athletic welcome Stenhousemuir to Station Park. Gary Irvine's Loons have been in mediocre form since about December of last year, while Stephen Swift's position is in danger after his side lost their last three consecutive league matches. As my esteemed associate Neilly has said elsewhere, this fixture feels like it has a real "loser leaves town" stipulation attached.

Swift's predicament is a more complicated than just a poor run of form - his team looks slow and confused and unable to execute his apparent tactical plan, while conceding embarrassing goals on a game-by-game basis - and a poor performance and negative result might just finish him off. Preparations for this match are disrupted by Tuesday night's SPFL Trust Trophy clash with Elgin City but I imagine we'll be fielding a shadow side in midweek, with our big guns held in reserve for Forfar. Even then, it's difficult to work out who'll be playing and what kind of formation we'll start with because, already, we're in the throwing-shit-against-the-wall territory in the hope we'll alight on something that might work.

In some regards, it's probably easier to look at the players who'll miss out on Saturday. Scott Walker was dire at right-back (and then left-back) against Dumbarton, Nat Wedderburn could probably do with some time on the bench after his recent performances and Tam Orr was poor leading the line. Adam Corbett should come in at right-back, Mikey Miller should be restored to the starting XI and Will Sewell should partner Matty Yates up top. It's easy enough to have a pop at the manager but a number of the senior players need to step it up a bit and justify the faith and outlay we've given them.

Why not try something like:

- Euan O'Reilly - Matty Yates - Will Sewell -

- Mikey Miller - Mikey Anderson - Adam Brown -

- Callum Yeats - Nicky Jamieson - Sean Crighton - Adam Corbett -

- Conor Brennan -

I don't know what to expect here. I really hope we get the win and turn in an improved performance that acts as a catalyst for the rest of the season, but I have my doubts.

I'll see you all there!

We need pts but at worst something resembling a coherent football team that knows what we are doing. Anything could happen here as they haven't started great either.

Brennan

Corbett Crighton Jamieson Yeats

Bryson Miller Brown

Yates Sewell O'Reilly

Go with that, see what happens. F*ck it.

1-1

Imagine if Swift just lost his shit and went for it. All out attack and out with a bang 😅

Brennan

Corbett  Jamieson,  Yeats

Anderson

O'Reilly                  Brown                 Joseph  

Yates         Orr        Sewell 

5 hours ago, nofixedability said:

I would imagine we’ll probably pass it about nice and have good possession but create next to no actual chances and cough up a couple of gaffs at the back. Dejafuckingvu.

You can't do that! That's our tactics 😅. Going to be some game this. 

I think both line ups and personell look fine from what FF and Vimto have posted. We will just have to see what we get on the day.

AccurateJaggedBasilisk-size_restricted.gif

Looking forward to it all the same always enjoy a day out to Forfar. Inject more torture right into my veins.

Edited by Neilly

Regardless of Saturday’s result, I sadly don’t see Irvine leaving as our board seem to be happy with the cheap option.

We have been in horrendous form, as mentioned just seven wins since Boxing Day while it is just one win in twelve (in the same period before leaving, Malcolm had won four, Weir one and Bollan two).

Another issue is goals, just two scored from open play this season and the others all coming from set pieces.

I’ll go with 2-0 Stenny, all three goals courtesy of Graham Gibson. Irvine to say we shouldn’t have lost the game despite having no shots on target and James Keatings to still be a ghost.

12 hours ago, nofixedability said:

I would imagine we’ll probably pass it about nice and have good possession but create next to no actual chances and cough up a couple of gaffs at the back. Dejafuckingvu.

Had to double check which team you were referring to. What happens when both teams pass it about well and cough up a couple of gaffs? Could be a classic.