Feeble excuses for being a gloryhunter.

Paul Kersey

I was speaking to some bloke in a pub in Dundee the other day who claimed to be a Chelsea fan.

His excuse is that his dad is a Dundee United fan and United have The Shed. When he heard that Chelsea also have an area of their ground called The Shed he started supporting them. 

What is the most feeble excuse that you have ever heard from a gloryhunter? 

My Dad supported Aberdeen and dragged me along to games in the late 70s when I was a nipper. Little did I know what was about to happen.

I then moved to the smoke in 87 and happened to live in Wimbledon. I went to see them for a while (Wembley 88) but they weren’t the team for me and I ended up following Palace(Wembley 90). 

8 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

I know a guy who supported Rangers as his dad did. Then Larsson come along and he supported Celtic because his best mate did.

I know a guy who claims that he supports Rangers because his uncle is a Celtic fan and he wanted to wind him up.

Edited by Paul Kersey

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

My Dad supported Aberdeen and dragged me along to games in the late 70s when I was a nipper. Little did I know what was about to happen.

I then moved to the smoke in 87 and happened to live in Wimbledon. I went to see them for a while (Wembley 88) but they weren’t the team for me and I ended up following Palace(Wembley 90). 

Glory hunted both north and south of the border. 

Congrats. 

I do not understand supporting a team from a place that you have no connection with.

I am not from Manchester. I am not from Barcelona. I am not from Liverpool. I am not from London. I am not from Glasgow. Why would I claim to support a team from those places? That would be ridiculous.

I support Ayr United because I am from Ayr. Yes, these days it is a shithole. But it is where I am from and I am proud of where I am from. This pride in where you are from should extend to supporting the team of that place. 

You cannot claim to be proud of your hometown, if you do not support the team of that town. You are part of the reason why many teams outside the two Glasgow Scum Teams struggle. You are part of the reason why attendance figures for many clubs have dwindled with the advent of 24/7 Sky Sports coverage of the EPL and "major" European Leagues. 

Maybe instead of thinking your local team are shite, consider the fact that you, and all like you, are a shite citizen of your locality.

Edited by Richey Edwards

4 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I do not understand supporting a team from a place that you have no connection with.

There are some way that occurs. I had parents and relatives who supported Leeds United, but I much preferred the Manchester United strip, so out of the rebellion of youth plus living in a spot with very little football choice and all, I became a ManU fan…in 1971, prime glory hunting range, eh? I still support them in a passing way, but find lower league play much more enjoyable now that I can follow it well from afar, but am always amused when I get someone suggesting I picked them because of the 90’s or such.

I am not from Manchester. I am not from Barcelona. I am not from Liverpool. I am not from London. I am not from Glasgow. Why would I claim to support a team from those places? That would be ridiculous.
I support Ayr United because I am from Ayr. Yes, these days it is a shithole. But it is where I am from and I am proud of where I am from. This pride in where you are from should extend to supporting the team of that place. 
You cannot claim to be proud of your hometown, if you do not support the team of that town. You are part of the reason why many teams outside the two Glasgow Scum Teams struggle. You are part of the reason why attendance figures for many clubs have dwindled with the advent of 24/7 Sky Sports coverage of the EPL and "major" European Leagues. 
Maybe instead of thinking your local team are shite, consider the fact that you, and all like you, are a shite citizen of your locality.

My English team is Southend United - not exactly glory-hunting. My aunt, uncle and cousins are from (and live in) Leigh-on-Sea and I ended up following them when I lived in London in the 90s.

An old mate from school was a fellow 'Well fan throughout our youth and we'd sometimes go to games together. Lost touch with him when we left school, and the next time I bumped into him years later he had joined the lodge and become a Rangers fan basically overnight to fit in with all the other neanderthals he now associated with. It was as if his support for Motherwell had never happened and his social media was just full of bigoted shite and stuff about sevco. Got old pics of him in 'Well tops that I really should stick on there one day just to piss him off.

Motherwell are my local team and I've always supported them, no kiddy on affiliations to any English or foreign sides. If the 'Well ever ceased to be I honestly think I'd just lean towards supporting my local junior side, Bellshill would be the nearest. Could never just choose another team in the same league and just decide that was my new club.