The Andy Robertson conundrum

Donathan

15 hours ago, Donathan said:

Has Tierney ever played CB in a back four for Scotland or either of his clubs?

Yes. In the second half against Israel during the WCQ in March '21.

KT played 45 minutes alongside Grant Hanley after Jack Hendry was replaced by Ryan Christie during the break. Andy Robertson also played in that second half as the left-back.

I really don't understand the calls for Robertson to be dropped. In terms of Scottish players in the last 30 years he's as close to world class as we have had and shown it on the biggest stages. Him and Tierney are massive for us and i'd want them both in the team every day of the week. How that happens is up to Clarke and depending on the game i guess 

I really don't understand the calls for Robertson to be dropped. In terms of Scottish players in the last 30 years he's as close to world class as we have had and shown it on the biggest stages. Him and Tierney are massive for us and i'd want them both in the team every day of the week. How that happens is up to Clarke and depending on the game i guess 
There's always an element of contrarianism and sneering from certain quarters when it comes to Scotland, as if they're wanting to prove that they're very intelligent and actually Robertson's never played well for Scotland/Steve Clarke actually only won two penalty shoot-outs/actually John McGinn's shite. It's bizarre. Even on Wednesday, after a great team performance and decent performance from Tierney, The Timeline was awash with folk declaring it the end of Andy Robertson.

I think they're both great players, and 5-3-2 works well if both are fit. Otherwise, a back 4 seems to work well, particularly with the talented midfielders we have.

I do however have issues with Robertson promoting NFTs, then quietly turning off the twitter replies when he took a deserved roasting. 

Also - almost all "Fan NFT" schemes have collapsed or are seriously devalued.....

• 3 months later...

Robertson breaks the record for most PL assists for a defender, sadly overtaking one of my favourites growing up, Leighton Baines. So many folk enjoy having a go at him that I don't think we truly appreciate how class it is that a Scottish player has been one of the best in the world in his position and first choice at one of the best clubs in the world for around five years now. 

2 hours ago, accies1874 said:

Robertson breaks the record for most PL assists for a defender, sadly overtaking one of my favourites growing up, Leighton Baines. So many folk enjoy having a go at him that I don't think we truly appreciate how class it is that a Scottish player has been one of the best in the world in his position and first choice at one of the best clubs in the world for around five years now. 

Particularly impressive as Baines took corners and free kicks

9 hours ago, accies1874 said:

And achieved in 190 fewer games.

I expect Robertson will soon be considered the greatest Premier League left back of all time, he's already got so much more to his game than his only realistic contender (Ashley Cole).

Cancelo not played his whole PL career at left back. 

Edited by Satoshi

7 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I expect Robertson will soon be considered the greatest Premier League left back of all time, he's already got so much more to his game than his only realistic contender (Ashley Cole).

Laughable. 

9 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I'm letting this go just now cause I've got the cold. But we'll come back to this. Your idiocy encapsulated in one post.

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Ashley Cole is the best LB of his generation and one of the top 5 of all time. Up there with Maldini and Roberto Carlos.

Robertson isn’t at that level because he got a few assists.

Agree Ashely Cole was an absolutely phenomenal footballer. 

I would also have  Denis Irwin up there as well. Over 500 appearances for United and some medal haul, including 7 premier league titles.

Just now, dundeefc1783 said:

Agree Ashely Cole was an absolutely phenomenal footballer. 

I would also have  Denis Irwin up there as well. Over 500 appearances for United and some medal haul, including 7 premier league titles.

I think the thing about Robertson is thats he is as good as he can be. He's absolutely maximised his potential. He's not the greatest left back in the history of the league, that's just ridiculous. But he's up there with the best. And its testament to how great a professional he is.

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

I think the thing about Robertson is thats he is as good as he can be. He's absolutely maximised his potential. He's not the greatest left back in the history of the league, that's just ridiculous. But he's up there with the best. And its testament to how great a professional he is.

It really is a testament to his dedication and professionalism to turnaround an early rejection by Celtic to have the career he has. Incredible work ethic. 

Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard. 

There is no doubt there would have been more naturally talented players when he was at Celtic but he has had a career that they can only dream about.

2 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Oh absolutely he made the absolute best of what he has and fair play to him for that.

Think Jurgen Klopp has also played a massive part in that as the style of play absolutely suits AR and TAA. 

21 hours ago, HalfCutNinja said:

Topical 

If you think Robertson is the same level as Cole you just don't know football. Far be it from me to big up England players and talk down Scottish players but facts are facts.

Darren Bent 😂

Who's next, Gabby Agbonlahor? Jamie O'Hara?

18 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Ashley Cole is the best LB of his generation and one of the top 5 of all time. Up there with Maldini and Roberto Carlos.

Robertson isn’t at that level because he got a few assists.

Robertson has far more assists than Cole, in far fewer games.

People like nostalgia, but if Robertson continues at his current trajectory he will be leaving Cole in the dust. 

Cole was finished at the top level by age 33, I expect Robertson will last a bit longer than that. He's only 28 now, long way to go.

I know this board hates the idea of a Scottish player doing well, but the facts don't lie.

3 minutes ago, Satoshi said:

Darren Bent 😂

Who's next, Gabby Agbonlahor? Jamie O'Hara?

Robertson has far more assists than Cole, in far fewer games.

People like nostalgia, but if Robertson continues at his current trajectory he will be leaving Cole in the dust. 

Cole was finished at the top level by age 33, I expect Robertson will last a bit longer than that. He's only 28 now, long way to go.

I know this board hates the idea of a Scottish player doing well, but the facts don't lie.

Facts don't lie but nobody is arguing about whether Robertson or Cole has more Premier League assists, which is all that fact deals with. Full backs are not solely judged on how many assists they get. The same way centre backs are not judged solely on how many goals they score. For example, Harry Maguire has scored more career goals than Fabio Cannavaro. That's a fact. Does that mean Maguire is the better centre back?