Music You Struggle With

The Other Foot

Basically all of that modern “Club” music. Don’t even know what that genre is called nowadays. How it’s so insanely popular and folk can listen to it all the time I’ve absolutely no idea. Absolutely horrendous that that sort of crap seems to make up 75% of the charts and what’s on the radio these days. Keep it in the nightclubs and get it tae f**k anywhere else. 

Despite my leanings toward a certain staunch football club, I cringed right through the Europa League run every time I heard “I’m Feeling It” blasting through the stadium PA and wince any other time I hear it. That song to me is the epitome of that fucking awful type of music and it’s just a fucking awful tune full stop. 

Edited by 8MileBU

• 1 month later...

Maybe not the right thread now but up until a month or so ago I'd have said all hip hop/rap. I'd have said I cannot get past the misogyny and glorification of violence and such. 

And lo, since Xmas, I've been listening to NWA and see it in a whole different light; the music and sampling, the conviction in the delivery lamenting the social zeitgeist...just a shame a lot of the content is horrific. I'm now listening to early Nas and can't believe I've found this music at my age as I'd basically conceded I was never going to find anything else that absorbs me and takes me somewhere else. 

On 08/12/2022 at 19:20, 8MileBU said:

Basically all of that modern “Club” music. Don’t even know what that genre is called nowadays. How it’s so insanely popular and folk can listen to it all the time I’ve absolutely no idea. Absolutely horrendous that that sort of crap seems to make up 75% of the charts and what’s on the radio these days. Keep it in the nightclubs and get it tae f**k anywhere else. 

Despite my leanings toward a certain staunch football club, I cringed right through the Europa League run every time I heard “I’m Feeling It” blasting through the stadium PA and wince any other time I hear it. That song to me is the epitome of that fucking awful type of music and it’s just a fucking awful tune full stop. 

The modern club music these days is truly pish and should be banned.

Was dragged along to the Stereofunk festival last year by a few mates and I would rather sit and watch constant repeats of the 2012 Scottish Cup Final than go there again. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

52 minutes ago, Forest_Fifer said:

I like rock/metal, but I just can't listen to the stuff with "cookie monster" vocals. If you've heard it you'll know what I mean.

Rock/metal is my favourite genre of music and I like a lot of really heavy stuff, but yeah when there’s no harmony in the music and there’s no deciphering a single word being roared, it’s truly awful.

• 1 year later...
On 04/10/2022 at 12:15, BFTD said:

I read an article years ago by a guy who founded an American museum about the history of racist tropes. He posited that gangsta rap was essentially the old Buck/Jezebel caricatures updated for the entertainment of modern white audiences. It was a bit uncomfortable and difficult to argue against.

I mentioned this in, of all places, the Barclays thread, but I highly recommend The New Jim Crow for this too. She describes modern music as minstrelsy for the same reasons. It's a grim book tbh, but it's supposed to be.

Anyway. Back on topic 

Kendrick Lamar. I think his lyrics are great and I appreciate the genius of the music but I feel nothing. I think a lot of those soft suspended chord just leave me with little to grip onto. I prefer the pugnacity of grime rap, Eminem or Tupac.

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/09/2022 at 19:55, The Other Foot said:

As the title suggests, what bands/singers/genres do you struggle with… 

Without carrying out any actual analysis, it feels as though almost every single guest Jools Holland has ever had on his show qualifies.

Also, Jools Holland himself. If he was any further up himself he could lick his own tonsils.

On 17/01/2023 at 14:55, Jeff Venom said:

Maybe not the right thread now but up until a month or so ago I'd have said all hip hop/rap. I'd have said I cannot get past the misogyny and glorification of violence and such. 

And lo, since Xmas, I've been listening to NWA and see it in a whole different light; the music and sampling, the conviction in the delivery lamenting the social zeitgeist...just a shame a lot of the content is horrific. I'm now listening to early Nas and can't believe I've found this music at my age as I'd basically conceded I was never going to find anything else that absorbs me and takes me somewhere else. 

This was on Sky Atlantic but maybe now on Netflix. Has lots of good stuff on how NWA came about.

Bought Straight Outta Compton on vinyl when it came out ( I was about 10 or 11) and still remember the goosebumps within the first 15 seconds 

Back on track.. ska, two tone, British punk. Never really done it for me.

17 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

This was on Sky Atlantic but maybe now on Netflix. Has lots of good stuff on how NWA came about.

Bought Straight Outta Compton on vinyl when it came out ( I was about 10 or 11) and still remember the goosebumps within the first 15 seconds 

Back on track.. ska, two tone, British punk. Never really done it for me.

Excuse Me What GIF by Biden Inauguration Committee