Pars vs FC Edinburgh - Sat 15th Oct

Top of the table clash at EEP and doubt anyone would have predicted TAFKA Edinburgh City would be leading the way after the opening quarter.

Pars should be confident following an impressive result at Alloa but the visitors have won 4 of their last 5 in the league.

The big question though - can the Pars finally score a first half goal at home?!

Feel like we should be able to get in behind Fontaine on the big park more than we could over at that shambles of a set up in Edinburgh. 

FC Edinburgh also seem to have a tiny squad even by our standards so although going great guns so far a sustained title challenge would be impressive.

Never seen us play Edinburgh before, so a new team for me ticked off the list.

Looking at Ediburgh results this season, they seem to either lose convincingly or win. 7 wins out of 10 is good going.

Really don't know what to expect. John Robertson seems to be the main goal threat and the Hibs right back gets good reviews. Fontaine was always a decent CB in his day, so we will have to be much better than some recent home performances.

Going for a narrow Pars win 2-1

8 hours ago, 101 said:

Have the Edinburgh city fans given up

Yes, a lot of Edinburgh City fans have stopped going to games following the shambles of the name change, me included. Just 305 turned up last week v Kelty, but good on those who still go along. Nice to watch the highlights package on YouTube and follow the live scores on the BBC. I'd like to take in an away game or two to support the players but won't be greasing the palms of Tom Tracy anytime soon. 

4 minutes ago, RubyTuesday said:

Yes, a lot of Edinburgh City fans have stopped going to games following the shambles of the name change, me included. Just 305 turned up last week v Kelty, but good on those who still go along. Nice to watch the highlights package on YouTube and follow the live scores on the BBC. I'd like to take in an away game or two to support the players but won't be greasing the palms of Tom Tracy anytime soon. 

I mean it's staggering that a team on the budget you must be on with that level of income is sitting top of the league you can't be bringing in much more than £10k a month in ticket sales which will undoubtedly be the main stream of income. Is there a danger that if folk stay away the whole thing folds? Folk like Craigen won't be on pennies despite being PT.

Edited by 101

1 hour ago, 101 said:

I mean it's staggering that a team on the budget you must be on with that level of income is sitting top of the league you can't be bringing in much more than £10k a month in ticket sales which will undoubtedly be the main stream of income. Is there a danger that if folk stay away the whole thing folds? Folk like Craigen won't be on pennies despite being PT.

Yes, I'd love to know how the finances are working at ECFC. You are pretty close with your £10k per month estimate for gate income I'd say. Which is nowhere close to funding a 20 man squad plus staff which must cost double that at least. 

Others have commented here that once the owner gets inevitably fed up about the low fanbase and ceases pumping money in, the club will plummet. But for now, let's see if we can give your lads a decent game on Saturday. 

4 hours ago, tamthebam said:

I wonder why Chairman Jim does the match preview in the Evening News and not, say, the actual team manager. 

Are they scared Maybury might go "off message" and say something like "I wish we had more fans..."? 

I think Maybury could be an 'on message' guy as, during his appearance on Off The Ball on Sunday, he said that FC Edinburgh had to change their name because of the Edinburgh City social club. Seemingly being promoted to League 1 made this a necessity.

11 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I think Maybury could be an 'on message' guy as, during his appearance on Off The Ball on Sunday, he said that FC Edinburgh had to change their name because of the Edinburgh City social club. Seemingly being promoted to League 1 made this a necessity.

There lies the problem. The owner and Chairman had a hunch that the social club might launch a legal challenge regarding the name but have provided no evidence to back up their hunch. Neither the owner, chairman or board has made any written statement for the reason for the name change. Chairman Jim gave an interview to the Evening News and there was a cack handed / stage managed Facebook Live event shortly after which attempted to explain what had gone on with the social club.

I don't speak for any of the City fans that like me have stopped going to games.. But if the club had the balls to put out something in writing in the summer then I at least may be prepared to give the current regime a chance. Maybury has trotted out the standard line there. 

The total irony is that the board have backed the manager, strengthened the squad and now there is a bit of a chance of promotion to the Championship via the play offs. 

42 minutes ago, RubyTuesday said:

The total irony is that the board have backed the manager, strengthened the squad and now there is a bit of a chance of promotion to the Championship via the play offs. 

I know there was the name change shambles, which I don't agree with either!

However, I don't see that as a big deal so still go most weeks to support the players.

Everyone is free to make their own decisions, but aren't the "Supporters club" lol 😆 boys just cutting off their noses to spite their faces, so to speak?

I wouldn't be denying myself all these great days out, just to feel like I made some pointless point.

Good luck to the players today! I feel if they play well we can get a result here. 👍

1 hour ago, Cardle is Magic said:

Are crowds not still up, even though the Meadowbank situation is a lamentable farce?

Even with stay away fans the average is surely still above L2 levels?

Overall their average crowd so far this season is up, based on visits from yourselves and Falkirk, but if you strip out those games they are probably similar or slightly lower than last season.

Last season’s average for Edinburgh City was 350, this season it’s 587, but lately some of the crowds have been alarmingly low, Stranraer (248), Peterhead (229), Kelty (305).

I was at the Cowdenbeath game in the League Cup section early in the season, lovely evening, and there were a decent amount of Cowden fans, but in total just over 300 people there. The atmosphere is terrible, their fan base appears to be relatively ageing, therefore pretty quiet. 

Edited by Cowdenleith