Question About Jury Duty

Gaz

I got called to Jury Duty last year and thought it was pretty interesting.  Some guy had a barmy with a lassie and punched her, but then went into a house, came back out with a walking stick and started smacking her with the walking stick.

He was all set to get off with it as despite there being loads of witnesses, not one of them would positively identify the defendant as the person who hit the woman.  The only thing they would say was that whoever punched her was without doubt the same person who came back out the house and attacked her with the walking stick, and this was said a few times, so you couldn't really miss it.

So it was getting towards the end and you're thinking he's going free as there's no evidence linking him to the assault and he surely knows this.  But then he decided, against his lawyers advice, to take the stand.  It started with him threatening the judge twice in the first few minutes and then ended with him telling us he punched the lassie in the face as she'd wound him up.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, scottsdad said:

Quick one for Falkirk residents. 

My wife has been called up for Jury Duty at the sheriff court in Camelon. Where is the best place to park?

I was there a few years back and parked on Mansionhouse Road, just parked in front of someones house for the hour or so I was there for.

Wasn’t keen on parking at the Mariner centre/bowling as wasn’t too sure on their rules. 

On 07/11/2022 at 22:12, Bert Raccoon said:

I find committing enough petty crime to avoid jail or a fine but just about enough keeps you off the radar for jury duty 

Serious question,  I've... eh, got a friend who's never been called, he's got a breach and a few fines. will this stop him being bothered?

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Serious question,  I've... eh, got a friend who's never been called, he's got a breach and a few fines. will this stop him being bothered?

Just become a minister within the Pastafarian church, automatic excusal and you can wear a colander on your head for your DL picture! Otherwise, see this list:

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/docs/default-source/coming-to-court/jurors/1-guide-to-jury-service-eligibility.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Note they say the list is randomly selected from all eligible, so it seems unlike simply getting in a load of minor scrape would keep your name from appearing, but it might get you excused.