Ben Doak

Gordopolis

3 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

He was bad last night, but I wouldn’t say it is fair to say he has been bad throughout all of his Europa League performances - there have been some good moments at times.  

He also played well against Leicester. 

He's had a couple of OK moments where he's burst past a left-back and fired in a cross to no one. I don't want to be down on an 18-year-old, especially one as promising as him, but I'm just not buying into Doakmania yet in the same way that I did with Gilmour. 

16 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He's had a couple of OK moments where he's burst past a left-back and fired in a cross to no one. I don't want to be down on an 18-year-old, especially one as promising as him, but I'm just not buying into Doakmania yet in the same way that I did with Gilmour. 

Probably fair enough in Europe, but he offered more than that against Leicester. His Scotland 21 performances have generally been impressive too. If bursting to the byline you are obviously relying on someone arriving for a cut back too. 

I think with Gilmour you could just instantly see that ridiculous ability on the ball, whereas with Doak you immediately see an incredible ability to dribble with the ball but with that you are always going to need to take risks and lose the ball at times. He is still very young, and it’ll be interesting how things go the next year or so. 

He definitely isn’t like an Oliver Burke, and is just all pace and athleticism - you can definitely see a good level of technical ability within him too. 

48 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

Football is quite event focused. Stuff off the ball is undervalued as people tend not too see that.

The tactical side of the game might take time for some players to understand on the pitch. Where to be and so on so maybe there's an element of that too. The theory side.

Something Burke struggled with I believe. Scotland u21 football isn't complicated tactically.

Yeah, fair points - also hard to work out based on seeing someone a handful of times. 

Burke was also technically pretty terrible though. 

8 minutes ago, Jives Miguel said:

Mind when the mentalists on here wanted him in the squad immediately because Klopp played him in a few friendlies in pre-season and threw him on against Chelsea for 10 minutes. 🙄

I think fans were just getting a bit carried away. If he starts getting minutes in the Liverpool team you'll see that clamoring come back. It's always been that way and always will be I'd expect. It's the same with all teams.

I sometimes think it's helpful for a spell out of the spotlight to let him develop. If he's not in the Liverpool or Scotland squad the voices go quiet, the discussion dies a death and he can just get on with his development without all the attention.

Edited by 2426255

1 hour ago, MarkoRaj said:

It's really not that unusual for young players at elite clubs to be called up before they've established themselves at club level. Bobb at City is the perfect example

It's a fair point. We've seen that at Scotland under Clarke with Gilmour the obvious example even if the 26-man squad and injuries played a part. Just have to wait and see, don't see a massive reason to rule out a call up or demand it.

7 hours ago, Jives Miguel said:

Mind when the mentalists on here wanted him in the squad immediately because Klopp played him in a few friendlies in pre-season and threw him on against Chelsea for 10 minutes. 🙄

Guilty your honour, it’s obvious now that Euro24 is gonna come too soon for him. It’s a shame cos our forward options are rank compared to pretty much everywhere else in the team*

*provided Gunn and Gordon are fit next summer

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

Lateral meniscus tear, so probs looking at 12 weeks out plus recovery. Don't think we'll see much of him before April unfortunately.

Anybody with medical knowledge give us an idea of what this means for him? I know that's on the knee so doesn't sound particularly good. Could this affect his future speed, acceleration or movement?

2 minutes ago, Bing.McCrosby said:

Anybody with medical knowledge give us an idea of what this means for him? I know that's on the knee so doesn't sound particularly good. Could this affect his future speed, acceleration or movement?

I am recovering from it after suffering the same from running. Hurts like f**k and recovery is taking decking ages... but then I'm ancient compared to Doak. 

I think in a younger person, it heals much faster and can return to original levels without any loss of pace or agility (but that's only based on my layman knowledge of the condition)