Doonhamers vs. Gable Endies

Night and day from last week .

We still look dodgy at the back but every time we went forward we looked like we would score.

All played well but 

Special mention to young Gibson his crossing was first class 

Good team performance think we would have scored more but the sending off changed the game .

Stupid from Rico to react when on a booking but he was hit on the face before it.

Done now but Wullie should really have taken him off when on a booking.

Montrose really lost it very lucky to finish with 11 players just glad we did not end up with any injuries.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Calm yourself down. I was at the other end of the ground and never saw the slap. So from my view it's Rico chasing a player to put in an extra shove (knowing fine well he's getting sent off in the process) and then being physically restrained by a teammate due to how angry he is. I don't think it's unusual to wonder if something was said to him to cause such outrage. Sadly.

You were at the other end of the ground but rather than ascertain some info you decided to randomly suggest a player could have committed some racist offence because there was a scuffle where one protagonist was black and the other white. I'll say it again, truly ridiculous post from you.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

I thought the ref had been ok today but he was letting Montrose get away with quite a lot of niggly stuff.

He was. A better ref wouldn't have needed to book 7 players today. Might have also given a penalty too.

Like others, I didn't see Rico get hit, but I very clearly heard it. I also heard and saw his initial reaction, which was one of disbelief as he checked to see if the ref was going to do anything. He wasn't, so Rico took matters into his own hands. Stupid, retaliation is always seen, even if the initial offence isn't. 

Webster, Waddell and Lyons' yellows after were all cynical acts of frustration. Great running from Wilson for the first two of those, and terrible oversight from the BBC's stats provider to credit the Lyons one to Connor Murray!

Great performance from Lewis. The stats show one assist today but he made 3 of the goals. McGrory and Wilson were also good in the middle, and I'm always pleased to see Paton actually finish some chances to go with his hard work. Very unselfish of him to set up Reilly for his goal, and a big chance for Todd before that, rather be greedy and go for the hat-trick.

Better all round today.

Had our three best midfielders playing, Wilson was immense today and Todd put in a great shift. Mcgrory quietly effective.

Big shout out to Ewan East, just steadied the defence, made critical interventions, and brought the ball forward effectively. After last week’s debacle , I think he was the big difference.

Paton/Reilly good, but what a couple of cracking crosses from Lewis (3 if you count 2nd goal). The ability to look up and float a killer cross in is a great tactic ( why didn’t we think of that before?!).

Still had our moments in defence, Montrose had opportunities but fortunately for us didn’t take them.

Slightly flat ending after sending off, but let’s not be greedy - 4-0!

22 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

Night and day from last week .

Appreciate this will likely sound daft but I really didn't think it was that different, at least in performance terms. In fact if anything I thought we were better last week for 45 mins. I didn't see the first 15 mins today but what I did see of the 1st half Montrose had more of the ball and created a few half chances. The 2nd goal was against the run of play and gave us a cushion of comfort we never got last week as Alloa nicked a goal back before half time.

Until the 3rd goal I wasn't particularly comfortable. After the 3rd went in we could well have gone on and got half a dozen if it had stayed 11 v 11. I'm not convinced last week wouldn't have either if we'd ever got two up. Last week was a truly dreadful 5 minute spell that just killed the game off. Lewis Gibson's effectively created 3 goals today, as he did at Edinburgh and he could very well have done at Alloa where he created one, should have earned a penalty and Gavin headed another cross wide. He has a bit to learn about wing back when we don't have the ball but the productivity at the other end is worth it.

Rico's red card is obviously a stonewall 2nd yellow. Can't even recall what he got the 1st for at the moment but sitting on a booking you can't retaliate by pushing an opponent to the ground then going tonto at some of his other teammates before being dragged away by your own manager and not expect at least a second yellow! He's possibly fortunate it wasn't a straight red. I suspect Masson was pretty fortunate not to see red for the initial elbow / slap. Match officials seemed to think it happened accidentally while "shielding" the ball but everyone in the Main Stand who heard it would be doubtful that the force involved was accidental. I'd like to see it again from a camera on that side. Thereafter Montrose were very comfortably the most "agricultural" side I've seen this season, chopping players down and pulling them back cynically. Twice dragging Wilson back when he was breaking through behind their back line felt like it deserved more than the two yellows it got despite being 50 yards from goal.

Nice to get a rare good home win though. We definitely needed it. Hope it's not the last win against a "Mo" team in the next week or so.

You were at the other end of the ground but rather than ascertain some info you decided to randomly suggest a player could have committed some racist offence because there was a scuffle where one protagonist was black and the other white. I'll say it again, truly ridiculous post from you.
I wondered why he reacted so badly and yes my mind went there as I never saw anything untoward from where I was sitting. I apologise for thinking like that if it offends you but given the players were standing holding "Show Racism The Red Card" it's hardly a ridiculous leap no matter what you think.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wondered why he reacted so badly and yes my mind went there as I never saw anything untoward from where I was sitting. I apologise for thinking like that if it offends you but given the players were standing holding "Show Racism The Red Card" it's hardly a ridiculous leap no matter what you think.

Do you want a shovel to dig your hole a bit deeper? Nobody was holding Red Cards today and it's irrelevant even if they were.

You saw a scuffle and with no knowledge about it whatsoever decided to come on here and suggest the white player involved could have said something racist. It's needlessly inflammatory.

It was quite a strange game.

We were second best for nearly all of the first half, but managed to bookend it with goals.  Our second half was better.  Some nice interplay at times, not least before what looked a lot like a penalty - I'm keen to see it again.  

As others have said, the red card probably played a part in ending the scoring.  Gibson's crossing is developing as a real weapon.  It's nice for us to pose some danger that way, rather than just fear crosses at the other end.

Do you want a shovel to dig your hole a bit deeper? Nobody was holding Red Cards today and it's irrelevant even if they were.
You saw a scuffle and with no knowledge about it whatsoever decided to come on here and suggest the white player involved could have said something racist. It's needlessly inflammatory.

I'm not clogging up the thread any further. You think what you think and I'll do the same.

9 minutes ago, JessieField said:

The ref (and his assistants) were shocking today, Montrose tried to kick us off the park at 3-0 down (it got worse when they were 4-0 down). Clever rotational use by the Montrose thug management of substitutes to avoid a well deserved sending off.

"Montrose thug management" enjoy your win ffs

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Today's fascinating fact: The division's 2nd longest serving manager got the better of the division's longest serving manager. 😉

Well, if my middle initial ain't H for Sherlock... I do assume our WG be the said 2nd ...!

Seriously, who'd be a fitba manager, eh?

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Lewis Gibson's effectively created 3 goals today, as he did at Edinburgh and he could very well have done at Alloa where he created one, should have earned a penalty and Gavin headed another cross wide. He has a bit to learn about wing back when we don't have the ball but the productivity at the other end is worth it.

My own view is that we should use a system that maximises his obvious talent at the top end of the pitch. Playing an orthodox right back behind him would achieve that. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

5 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

My own view is that we should use a system that maximises his obvious talent at the top end of the pitch. Playing an orthodox right back behind him would achieve that. 

Maybe, but it would mean we can't get Todd, McGrory and Wilson all on the pitch at the same time (or one of them plays wide left which wastes their influence). What you gain in one place you lose in another.

18 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Maybe, but it would mean we can't get Todd, McGrory and Wilson all on the pitch at the same time (or one of them plays wide left which wastes their influence). What you gain in one place you lose in another.

Fair point but I’d happily play Todd wide left for what I would see as a real plus to have Gibson junior as a wide player with instruction to attack our opponents. The gain would be substantial in my view if we had a top class right back at this level. Maybe Gibson senior could fill that role. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

2 hours ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Fair point but I’d happily play Todd wide left for what I would see as a real plus to have Gibson junior as a wide player with instruction to attack our opponents. The gain would be substantial in my view if we had a top class right back at this level. Maybe Gibson senior could fill that role. 

I dont agree. For me Todd is our most important player and he and Wilson together in midfield makes us a much better team. We saw that today. Almost all our best results have come when both play centrally. Todd's wasted playing wide and he doesnt have the pace he had in his 1st spell. Personally in our best 11 I'd start with those two in central midfield and fit the other 9 round them. 

I think our best 11 currently probably is in a 3-5-2. You can play 4-4-2 if you like but I'm not convinced we have a good enough centre half pairing, I'm far from sure who plays left midfield / wing and there's no place in it for Connelly, Murray or McGrory unless one of them plays that left side role (albeit they probably compete for the one attacking central midfield spot in a 3-5-2 too. Connelly possibly could be one of two strikers also but the Reilly / Paton pairing is pretty productive overall and developing a growing understanding).