Nuclear fusion energy achieved

ICTChris

In good news today, the US department of energy has announced that researchers have achieved nuclear fusion. Researchers at the National Ignition Faciiity in California confirmed that one of their experiments has officially produced more energy than it used, overcoming a major barrier to the production of clean, limitless energy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63950962

Are P&Bers looking forward to a bright future of limitless energy?

Have any P&Bers ever fused a light atom and generated more energy than they put in?

2 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

In good news today, the US department of energy has announced that researchers have achieved nuclear fusion. Researchers at the National Ignition Faciiity in California confirmed that one of their experiments has officially produced more energy than it used, overcoming a major barrier to the production of clean, limitless energy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-63950962

Are P&Bers looking forward to a bright future of limitless energy?

Have any P&Bers ever fused a light atom and generated more energy than they put in?

I don’t like to boast, but yes.

1.  The idea of an energy supply where rich people/companies cannot get richer and where poor people would benefit won’t catch on.

2.  If it does then f**k the Saudis and Newcastle FC.

Can't wait till we all have free energy.

1. All the scientists to meet with untimely 'accidents' and it gets commodified.

2. They are going to blow up the planet trying to do this.

19 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t like to boast, but yes.

1.  The idea of an energy supply where rich people/companies cannot get richer and where poor people would benefit won’t catch on.

2.  If it does then f**k the Saudis and Newcastle FC.

I’ve seen old news footage from the early ‘60s when nuclear power was new to Scotland.  They were even suggesting that electricity meters may become a thing if the past due to how huge amounts of electricity could be produced for such little cost?

What was your recollection of public opinion at that time? 

6 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

I’ve seen old news footage from the early ‘60s when nuclear power was new to Scotland.  They were even suggesting that electricity meters may become a thing if the past due to how huge amounts of electricity could be produced for such little cost?

I would have been 7 or 8 in the early sixties.  I didn’t pay much attention to public opinion at that time as I was concentrating on astronaut training.

I saw the headline but didn’t read the story. Call me cynical, but when I read headlines like this, my gut tells me that if I read the story, it will say that a practical application is about three hundred years away.

Yo ho ho, etc.

10 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

This is not good news.

But then again I am a c**t with no morals who works in Oil and Gas. Long live fossil fuels.

Actually, it is good news for oil and gas. Given the needs for oil and gas in plastics and other materials, especially the versions that can then be reused, it will result in a longer lifespan for the fossil fuel industry without destroying the climate. They might pump less gas and oil per day/month/year, but it will last long enough to pay your retirement.

1 hour ago, Slim Charles. said:

Can't wait till we all have free energy.

1. All the scientists to meet with untimely 'accidents' and it gets commodified.

2. They are going to blow up the planet trying to do this.

Why would it be free energy?

20 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Why would it be free energy?

I wasn't entirely being serious, but if we can produce unlimited clean energy cheaply, then why not ?

It's just a glorified science project atm anyway.

10 minutes ago, Slim Charles. said:

I wasn't entirely being serious, but if we can produce unlimited clean energy cheaply, then why not ?

It's just a glorified science project atm anyway.

Leaving aside that this particular example is currently not cheap (and ultimately used more energy than it produced) and noting that it's clearly just a proof of concept, you've answered your question yourself by acknowledging it wouldn't be free to produce.

Ultimately, with any energy source, their will be costs involved in building the plants to produce the electricity, costs involved to run and maintain them, and costs to distribute. As they will almost certainly be private companies rather than nationalised, there would be profit margins too.

Put simply, unless you produce it yourself, energy will never be free at the point of use.

Edited by Todd_is_God

2 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

It was more than suggesting, the selling point was indeed "too cheap to meter".

For Dounreay the public enquiry on whether it should be built lasted all morning and then they went away and had a good lunch.

The decommissioning though, that's dragging on much longer than they admitted it would and knocks any ferry overrun costs into a cocked hat.

It's costing £3,000,000,000 but we don't talk about it.