Dunfermline v Falkirk

Pumped by the better team. It should have been more - we got off lightly.

The jury was out about our improvement since the last game - which there has been -  but we got the answer of where that puts us last which is nowhere.

Fans and players were flat all night. Just not at the races.

Need to try and dust ourselves down and progress in the cup if we can and hit the playoffs in good form. We’re capable of doing that despite last night’s showing but the idea of us going into a big play-off game is already giving me the fear as we just can’t seem to show up when it matters very often.

Well done to Dunfermline on the title. Thoroughly deserved.

Edited by Hughsie

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

My experience of McPake was he could go on runs but as soon as what was working stopped working, he completely lost the plot and struggled to stop the death spiral.

Im unconvinced he'll be any use a tier up without financial advantages but who knows.

Im fairly sure i said he wasnt top flight quality because he has deficiencies defensively and didnt have the pace/power to make up for it at the top level. We then had a back and forth where Dunfermline fans laughed at that and my suggestion Shaun Rooney was better suited to the top flight because he had recovery pace to make up for getting caught out of position. More than one person said Comrie was better than Rooney. 

More than one person said that Comrie was good for us and that Rooney was terrible for us. He wasn't great at Inverness and a few fans were surprised that he moved up to the Premiership. Opinions are like arseholes as they say, but my recollection is that you felt your opinion was more valid or more objective which was an odd take. 

On McPake, he has proven to be versatile so far this season, often changing systems, formations and styles of play several times in-play depending on the gamestate. On Saturday past we started with a back four, went to a back three then reverted to a four, players swapped flanks and we routinely go from the "in to feet and get the midfielders joining in" link up play of Wighton to a more direct "win it high and spread it wide" target man with McCann and/or Todarov. He's clearly very adaptable and again it seems that some folk can't accept that people can learn from previous mistakes and improve as players, coaches or people. 

19 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

my recollection is that you felt your opinion was more valid or more objective which was an odd take. 

A lot of people think that because how i type what im thinking.

Nobody has a lower opinion of my own opinion than myself, it just comes across like im a smug c**t and i cant help it.

22 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

More than one person said that Comrie was good for us and that Rooney was terrible for us. He wasn't great at Inverness and a few fans were surprised that he moved up to the Premiership. l

Rooney was great for us and most fans were gutted he left. I wasn’t surprised he got a move up the leagues  

10 minutes ago, Stoo61 said:

It's almost as if young managers and players can improve with time and experience.

Someone should study this phenomenon!

We’ve been here with RandomGuy before. This guy refuses to accept that anyone can improve. McPake himself has openly said that he has grown as a person and manager over the last 12 months. He also seems to listen to the rest of his coaching team a lot, I don’t know if that’s a change or not, but Mackay certainly seems very heavily involved in big decisions/training/tactics. But he had bad spells at Dundee, so RandomGuy will follow him round for years, telling anyone they’re wrong if they praise him. 

He did the same with Comrie, who we’ve seen develop a lot as a footballer since joining. He was very solid in the championship, until Grant/Hughes came in. This season, he’s been excellent at RB in an 4 and RCB in the back 3. But the guy above would come to our threads regularly to say that Comrie was never a footballer, could never be good enough etc. Pars fans used Rooney as an example of players improving (mentioning how poor he was for us, then did well for St J) and the guy still doesn’t get that players improve over time. Even now, he’s somehow interpreting it as people saying Comrie is better than Rooney has ever been. 

39 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

My experience of McPake was he could go on runs but as soon as what was working stopped working, he completely lost the plot and struggled to stop the death spiral. It happened at Dundee constantly and even when they got promoted it was Charlie Adam making things work more than McPake.

Im unconvinced he'll be any use a tier up without the same financial advantages but who knows.

I was coming on to post something similar.  At Dunfermline in League One and Dundee in the Championship he has the budget advantage over the majority of teams to do well.  He didn't have that luxury in the Premiership with Dundee and he won't have it next season with Dunfermline in the Championship either.  What with the likes of Thistle/Dundee/QP/Falkirk/United/County (not all of them obviously) potentially being there.

A hill I am delighted to die on and will for all my days, is that Dundee got promoted in 2021 due to Charlie Adam and no one else.  Someone will have the stats but I'm pretty sure Dundee's results that season with v without him were mental.

14 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

Rooney was great for us and most fans were gutted he left. I wasn’t surprised he got a move up the leagues  

Yep, it seemed to click for him about halfway through the 18/19 season and from then until he left a year or so later, he was the first name on the teamsheet.

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I was coming on to post something similar.  At Dunfermline in League One and Dundee in the Championship he has the budget advantage over the majority of teams to do well.  He didn't have that luxury in the Premiership with Dundee and he won't have it next season with Dunfermline in the Championship either.  What with the likes of Thistle/Dundee/QP/Falkirk/United/County (not all of them obviously) potentially being there.

A hill I am delighted to die on and will for all my days, is that Dundee got promoted in 2021 due to Charlie Adam and no one else.  Someone will have the stats but I'm pretty sure Dundee's results that season with v without him were mental.

Mate, we've got Todd, Super Matty Todd, I just don't think you understand. As he's James McPakes man and better than CharlieADAM...we've got the Championship in the bag.

So....hard to argue with that logic right there. 

Just now, Stoo61 said:

Mate, we've got Todd, Super Matty Todd, I just don't think you understand. As he's James McPakes man and better than CharlieADAM...we've got the Championship in the bag.

So....hard to argue with that logic right there. 

God that's good.

Alan Partridge on Twitter: ""The Lex Files." "GOD, that's good! Can I shake  your hand again?" http://t.co/kWqO9zTBW7" / Twitter

19 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

But the guy above would come to our threads regularly to say that Comrie was never a footballer, could never be good enough etc. 

For the top flight.

Hes 26 and playing in the Scottish 3rd tier. Im still fairly confident he'll never be a regular for a top flight side.

8 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

So they only won games because of a player McPake signed? Also, you’re talking about budgets, he’s signed 3 new players on permanent deals here. One was a backup keeper. The rest of our players are loan signings and the players who were dross last season. I don’t think there’s much doubt Falkirk have outspent us this season. If you watched the likes of Mehmet, Breen, Chalmers, Wighton etc last season, you’d think their careers as full time footballers were over.

Will we need to improve the squad, to compete in the championship? Absolutely. But McPake’s given us reason to believe in him/back him. His permanent signings (Hamilton and Benedictus) have been fantastic for us and are captain and vice-captain. But his main achievement is making us a team. Last season, there was no team spirit, seemed to be a lot of in-fighting in the squad. They were a shambles. McPake brought in leaders and has changed the mentality and, almost the same set of players, now seem to gel really well as a team. Is that not a sign of good management?

Again, I have to ask, have you never seen anyone learn from mistakes and become better at their job? Nobody’s trying to rewrite history and claim he was the messiah at Dundee. But it’s really strange behaviour to come on here and criticise a manager, when his team are 8 points clear at the top of their league, with 16 clean sheets in 27 games.

2 minutes ago, 101 said:

McGlynns post match interview 🤣🤣 wow.

He keeps flapping his arms. Like a toddler throwing a tantrum. He obviously looked at the stats just before the interview and couldn’t find any way to claim they were the better team this time. Surprised he didn’t claim it was a draw, because of the yellow card count!