Airdrie v F C Edinburgh

Some fans might say that Edinburgh are our 'bogey' side, absolute nonsense. They are second top of the league for a reason and part of that is because they have seasoned pros who have a fair bit of height and physicality. As soon as See came on for Robertson I knew we were going to be up against it. This was the moment when we could have brought Sinclair on at left back to offer more height in defense. All in all a dreadful result which once again shows that we lose dreadful self inflicted goals every week.

4 minutes ago, dextermorgan said:

Some fans might say that Edinburgh are our 'bogey' side, absolute nonsense. They are second top of the league for a reason and part of that is because they have seasoned pros who have a fair bit of height and physicality. As soon as See came on for Robertson I knew we were going to be up against it. This was the moment when we could have brought Sinclair on at left back to offer more height in defense. All in all a dreadful result which once again shows that we lose dreadful self inflicted goals every week.

Down to the manager. It's not personal but want best for Airdrie and that must be a manager that can manage, 

A frustrating afternoon. Absolutely blew them away in the first 25 mins or so. Complete and utter domination. Then it all just slipped. We are really poor at the back at the moment. The fact that Ballantyne can't stay fit/not get suspended for any length of time does not help at all but we're just so brittle in defence and Lyness is a bomb scare. The ref was crap, very easily conned and whistle and card happy across the entire game. The strangest thing was the Edinburgh no 23 who for some bizarre reason wanted to be a wee shitehouse with the Airdrie fans. No idea why. Very try hard stuff from him.

Edinburgh spotted our fragilities and exploited them so fair play. 

What was the first penalty for, couldnt see it from where I was sitting? Said on the Airdrie thread, keeper looks very dodgy and invited a lot of corners into the 6 yard box area which obviously paid dividends, much like Queens Park last year Edinburgh have strong, experienced players which has been roven time and again to get you out this league, I dont think changing the manager is the answer, having decided to go with the player manager I think we need to back him into next season, we could still go up via playoffs so not al lost.

2 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

no

I fear we'll never have a better chance to do it when we dominate so well for half an hour but then get a sliding doors moment which turned on Edinburgh hitting the bar and then the life of Riley struck. I'd need to see the highlights but the co com says it's not a penalty, but it's the refs decision that counts. The real error is thinking at two up, that Rhys thinks it's wise to bring on a new 18 yr old full back. The defending from then on was shocking, if not unexpected against a per centage experienced Edinburgh.

Fair dos to them for being second in the League and not panicking at two down.

And as for McGill I wonder where he went for so much of his ineffective day. Callum Smith scored two, Gal got his usual close in goal but so many others had so many mistakes today. Probably Frizzels poorest game and once Edinburgh got back level their sheer physically and nous meant  we lost out yet again. A chance to go third thrown away. Rhys has a job to explain this performance. To think I was considering a wee trip to Peter-reid!

From the reaction of handling then the Edinburgh bench they acted like they just won the champions league.  Quite bizarre to run to airdrie fans cupping ears like he was getting abuse the whole game.   Fair enough they got 5he goals to win the game but maybe save it for when you actually win a trophy.    

Good to see josh rae on the bench.   Sooner Lyness is out the better.  He's cost too much already and its obvious he guy has no confidence in his ability to catch a ball.  

38 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

What was the first penalty for, couldnt see it from where I was sitting? Said on the Airdrie thread, keeper looks very dodgy and invited a lot of corners into the 6 yard box area which obviously paid dividends, much like Queens Park last year Edinburgh have strong, experienced players which has been roven time and again to get you out this league, I dont think changing the manager is the answer, having decided to go with the player manager I think we need to back him into next season, we could still go up via playoffs so not al lost.

It looked to me like the Edinburgh player was going down anyway, not necessarily diving but just falling, and Riley seemed to have his hands on him. As I said on the other thread, very soft and I wouldn’t claim for it but equally it’s a daft mistake that gives the referee a decision to make. Definitely one for the highlights but I was at that side and my first instinct was very soft but can see why he’s given it.

The referee for me is being made a scape goat. I thought there was a pull for the first penalty although I could be wrong. Full back caught out and panicked to me. Second penalty was a stone waller. Riley deserved both of his yellows and can only blame himself. Think the other yellows given out were justified. Maybe just me as I say but I don’t think the ref should be taking any blame for todays showing. 

The needle all started during the first half between benches when the first penalty was awarded and carried on from there. I think Edinburgh were a nasty physical side today but it worked. They were frustrating us all and they riled us up then the GIRUY from them scoring was a response to stick we were giving them. Fans always seem too happy to give it out then get all touchy when it is returned. Never understood that either. 

Going forward we could and probably should have scored more which has been a recurring theme. Missed opportunities is quite common for us. Defensively we were shocking and after the Montrose game and the first 30 mins of today I did not see they coming. 

Yet another week the keeper has not been good enough. I am not surprised if he is low on confidence but he offered us no presence in our box and set pieces always give me the fear. 

14 goals conceded to Edinburgh in the league and they are second in the table. They have had a tremendous campaign so far and show what a good squad can do been very very impressed with them and they have a good few players I’d take at our club but that simply again shows where we are as a club. We have no rite to beat anyone in this league and are just another “diddy” side fighting to be relevant again. 

Edited by diamond_for_life

1 hour ago, Ballboy said:

From the reaction of handling then the Edinburgh bench they acted like they just won the champions league.  Quite bizarre to run to airdrie fans cupping ears like he was getting abuse the whole game.   Fair enough they got 5he goals to win the game but maybe save it for when you actually win a trophy.    

Good to see josh rae on the bench.   Sooner Lyness is out the better.  He's cost too much already and its obvious he guy has no confidence in his ability to catch a ball.  

The boys in front of keeper will not fill him with confidence either, team in general to fragile, 

33 minutes ago, papa57 said:

Absolute crap, about time this useless board opened their fucking eyes, McCabe is not a manager ffs, a massive step back from last season

I think having started the McCabe experiment we might as well as see it through, if we make the playoffs this season (which will be tough but I think we can get the 4th spot ahead of Alloa / Montrose) is that really so much of a step back? Add Rae in goals and a couple of physical players to that team and I think it could be excelent, recruitment was patchy over the summer but McCabe presumably will have learned from that

1 hour ago, diamond_for_life said:

The referee for me is being made a scape goat. I thought there was a pull for the first penalty although I could be wrong. Full back caught out and panicked to me. Second penalty was a stone waller. Riley deserved both of his yellows and can only blame himself. Think the other yellows given out were justified. Maybe just me as I say but I don’t think the ref should be taking any blame for todays showing. 

The needle all started during the first half between benches when the first penalty was awarded and carried on from there. I think Edinburgh were a nasty physical side today but it worked. They were frustrating us all and they riled us up then the GIRUY from them scoring was a response to stick we were giving them. Fans always seem too happy to give it out then get all touchy when it is returned. Never understood that either. 

Going forward we could and probably should have scored more which has been a recurring theme. Missed opportunities is quite common for us. Defensively we were shocking and after the Montrose game and the first 30 mins of today I did not see they coming. 

Yet another week the keeper has not been good enough. I am not surprised if he is low on confidence but he offered us no presence in our box and set pieces always give me the fear. 

14 goals conceded to Edinburgh in the league and they are second in the table. They have had a tremendous campaign so far and show what a good squad can do been very very impressed with them and they have a good few players I’d take at our club but that simply again shows where we are as a club. We have no rite to beat anyone in this league and are just another “diddy” side fighting to be relevant again. 

Agree, ref wasn’t the determining factor. Young Riley sadly was.

Kudos to Edinburgh. Get to keep us now after the three wins. Turning it around from 2 nil down away from home is no mean feat. 

Celebrations seemed OTT, but if a siege mentality helped drive them then fair play. Always liked when we were the Beastie Boys! 

7 minutes ago, moses1924 said:

I think having started the McCabe experiment we might as well as see it through, if we make the playoffs this season (which will be tough but I think we can get the 4th spot ahead of Alloa / Montrose) is that really so much of a step back? Add Rae in goals and a couple of physical players to that team and I think it could be excelent, recruitment was patchy over the summer but McCabe presumably will have learned from that

I think that is what will happen but not making the play-offs with the likes of Frizzell, Rae, Ballantyne, Fordyce, McCabe, Smith and Gal in the team would be an absolute waste of not only this season but the progress made over the last few years. 

11 hours ago, moses1924 said:

Sorry, will be hard to finish in top 4, we are not consistent enough,  14 goals in 3 games against Edinburgh is not good enough, it seems to be one step forward, and then 2 steps backwards

On 03/01/2023 at 08:49, papa57 said:

Sorry, will be hard to finish in top 4, we are not consistent enough,  14 goals in 3 games against Edinburgh is not good enough, it seems to be one step forward, and then 2 steps backwards

How you played a hard game against us at EEP earlier on this season and concede as a much goals against FC Edinburgh as we've conceded all season is bizarre. Why? The way this seasons panning out each teams liable to take points from each other except Dunfermline Athletic. In reality, last seasons debacle has the DA far superior to other teams. It looks good on the eye for us Pars fans but League 1 are just full of prima donnas.  It's pathetic and Airdrie are one of those.