Clyde v Kelty

I understand that it's a very poor squad and the majority of the players aren't very good but some of the errors and at times lack of the most basic skills suggests a squad totally bereft of confidence/belief.

It is the job of the manager (and to a lesser extent the club captain) to give the players a bit of belief when things are going wrong (everything in this case). In this respect, Duffy is continuing Lennon's failure. No one can say with a straight face that Kelty are a decent team or even that they have a vastly superior squad than our own and yet they managed to beat us relatively easily despite being a man down for the majority of the game. The main difference for me was Kelty actually had a go and weren't afraid to at least attempt attacking/on the deck football. Our lot, for the most part, just looked terrified and most couldn't get rid of the ball at their feet quick enough - not in a  good way! It's just totally unacceptable.

Either our players don't give a $hit/aren't trying (I don't believe this to be the case) or, as poor as some of them are, they are completely lacking in confidence. If Duffy can't instill a bit of fight/belief in next couple of games just get him tae f*ck and give the job to a young guy (with/without experience) but who may actually have some ideas and enthusiasm. Of course it's a risk and the new guy may not do any better but at this stage, can anyone see them doing a worse job?

Edited by RutherGlen

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

Don't get me wrong. I'm fully on board with booing the team after a performance like today's.

The in-game booing of Thicot was wrong in my opinion.

Wasn't Cameron due a booing? Wasn't Lyons?

Yeah sorry I agree with you about the in game booing of individual players.

As for the booing, I don't personally do it as I can't imagine a scenario in which hearing your own fans boo would make you do a better job. It would probably either:

a) make you $hit it all the more and do a worse job

Or

b) think "to hell with them" and deliberately do worse/not try to get it up the boo boys

So aye...up to you if you want to do it but not a great idea if you ask me. 

Edited by RutherGlen

32 minutes ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Totally agree with this. It is near impossible to finish above 9th, we need to start thinking about next season and get the right manager in charge asap, if we manage to stay up then amazing, but we need to start planning for a League 2 return and hopefully see us competing again. 

Just as a reality check, as a club, are we a L2 club punching above our weight? Or a L1 side underachieving?

After seeing some of the teams play us with better recruitment no reason we couldn't have at least competed we had a solid base then Danny just fucked it up

24 minutes ago, RutherGlen said:

No one can say with a straight face that Kelty are a decent team or even that they have a vastly superior squad than our own and yet they managed to beat us relatively easily despite being a man down for the majority of the game.

Can't comment on todays game as I wasn't there but on paper I think Kelty have a much better squad than us to be honest. A good few of their players would walk into our side.

9 minutes ago, CM. said:

Can't comment on todays game as I wasn't there but on paper I think Kelty have a much better squad than us to be honest. A good few of their players would walk into our side.

Kelty go out and add players from above them. We generally don't, at least not the last couple of years. It's no surprise that our better signings last summer were Grant and Allan who were let go by full-time sides above us in the pyramid. The likes of Mitchell, Cunningham and Lang coming in during previous seasons.  The guys we signed from down the pyramid aren't even the better players from L2 sides who are making the step-up. 

Every team in the league bar the obvious one turns up to play us with multiple substitutes that would be starters for Clyde. That's partly DL's fault, and it's partly the reality of where we are as a club. We actively avoid signing good full-backs to try and fill other areas with better quality. That's not remotely sustainable and our luck has ran out.

2 hours ago, Ingo ohne Flamingo said:

Totally agree with this. It is near impossible to finish above 9th, we need to start thinking about next season and get the right manager in charge asap, if we manage to stay up then amazing, but we need to start planning for a League 2 return and hopefully see us competing again. 

Just as a reality check, as a club, are we a L2 club punching above our weight? Or a L1 side underachieving?

Forget finishing above 9th.  We are 16 points adrift which means we need to win 6 games more than QOS with 16 games to go which ain’t going to happen.  We aren’t even going to win 6 games the rest of season.  Nothing to indicate otherwise

Don’t know what the plan is going forward but would definitely consider binning Duffy as clearly not working and try someone/anyone else

Based on finances and crowds we are a L2 team punching above our weight.

Based on squad we are LL side which we will likely be within the next 3 years unless something dramatically changes  

Same old shite that’s been the story of our season again today. If you’re starting the match with (at least) half the team nowhere near good enough then the results are no surprise, even if we out do ourselves in how we manage to get them.

From that starting team today Parry is done (but far from the biggest issue). Lyon, Thicot, Cameron and scullion are all nowhere near good enough. Not convinced by the young boy at left back either. Which leaves you Peter grant, Kennedy, Cuddihy, Allan and Kurtis Roberts who put in a shift and at least looked like they could play at this level.

Duffy is a horrendous appointment too, as I said at the time. The team and club are absolutely fucked. Led down this route by a board with no-vision and no ability to do the job. I dread to think where we will be in 5 years time.