Syngenta FC-Pending doom

While it's easy to blame the guy that went off to Camelon.

There should be plenty of stick for the people at Syngenta Juveniles that started the team in the first place. They couldn't get their ducks in a row the first time applying to the EoSFL. Managed to get into the Juniors. Then seemingly handed the team over to an outsider, who has since walked away. They've then given up the ghost.

A bit like with Harmony Row being taken over by Giffnock SC next season, there's got to be more stringent vetting of some of these clubs entering the pyramid. Hillfield Swifts are on their 2nd ground. Edinburgh South are on their 2nd ground. At least with the Swifts I think it's permanent. There's been some switching around with some of the newer clubs in the West. If a club doesn't have proper roots, its hard to build itself up, and has more in common with being a glorified amateur.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

There should be plenty of stick for the people at Syngenta Juveniles that started the team in the first place. They couldn't get their ducks in a row the first time applying to the EoSFL. Managed to get into the Juniors. Then seemingly handed the team over to an outsider, who has since walked away. They've then given up the ghost.

A bit like with Harmony Row being taken over by Giffnock SC next season, there's got to be more stringent vetting of some of these clubs entering the pyramid. Hillfield Swifts are on their 2nd ground. Edinburgh South are on their 2nd ground. At least with the Swifts I think it's permanent. There's been some switching around with some of the newer clubs in the West. If a club doesn't have proper roots, its hard to build itself up, and has more in common with being a glorified amateur.

I agree, The requisite for entry now should always be that you have your own facilities and be locked into an agreement that you can't chuck it after 2/3 years.

2 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Sure Swifts have a 25 year lease reason they would have moved was they could never redevelop the Bally so if anything they have improved their lot.

3 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I think you are being slightly harsh here on some clubs.     If we take hillfield swifts as an example,  they are from a reasonably sized town and have been the team most linked with that town for 20+ years,   in terms of boys clubs stepping up they are a very good example,  they have done the hard yards building a reputation and have genuinely built their senior team as a base to allow youth players to move into and that is where vetting becomes very tough, as it is exactly the same model george fraser promised, both to the pyramid and also the boys club he got to latch onto it.  

Glorified amateur is used a bit as a term but its very broad, I wonder how many clubs would get on well without volunteers,   single figures? We should be making the transition between amateur and the pyramid smoother but even so amateurs stepping up is exactly the market of the bottom end of the pyramid.

I kinda get your point about proper roots,  but a ground is only an element of that.  Very few clubs stay at the ground they start. 

1 hour ago, parsforlife said:

I think you are being slightly harsh here on some clubs.     If we take hillfield swifts as an example,  they are from a reasonably sized town and have been the team most linked with that town for 20+ years,   in terms of boys clubs stepping up they are a very good example,  they have done the hard yards building a reputation and have genuinely built their senior team as a base to allow youth players to move into and that is where vetting becomes very tough, as it is exactly the same model george fraser promised, both to the pyramid and also the boys club he got to latch onto it. 

It's a particular dig at Inverkeithing or how they operate. From what's been said they got into the EoSFL back in 2018 with a very poor ground that would lead to many speculating if they would have gotten in a year later.

In the next few years didn't hear about any real ground improvements. Then they moved to Dalgety Sports Centre in 2021. So what exactly was the plan?

As turning up Dalgety wasn't something that was talked about, and also had the effect of seeing other clubs squeezed out.

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/19461684.dalgety-bay-leisure-centre-anger-hillfield-swifts-booking-pitches-sparks-call-new-sports-facilities/

14 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's a particular dig at Inverkeithing or how they operate. From what's been said they got into the EoSFL back in 2018 with a very poor ground that would lead to many speculating if they would have gotten in a year later.

In the next few years didn't hear about any real ground improvements. Then they moved to Dalgety Sports Centre in 2021. So what exactly was the plan?

As turning up Dalgety wasn't something that was talked about, and also had the effect of seeing other clubs squeezed out.

https://www.dunfermlinepress.com/news/19461684.dalgety-bay-leisure-centre-anger-hillfield-swifts-booking-pitches-sparks-call-new-sports-facilities/

Ballast bank wasn't properly enclosed and the dressing rooms were a distance from the pitch but in those respects it was no worse than Peebles Rovers and that doesn't seem to bother anyone too much.

The Swifts' plan was to improve Ballast Bank but the Council, for the sake of a couple of days per year - Inverkeithing Highland Games and and an annual car rally - wouldn't let them do what they needed to do, so they moved. There is no doubt that dalgety Bay is a better venue for pyramid football.

What clubs in history are still at the ground they started at? 

I think every club have had upheaval and some make it work, others don't but most clubs moved a fair bit until they found their permanent home. I suppose it a chicken and egg situations with new clubs, what to get 1st? A position in the league? A permanent ground at great expense?

As for vetting. Where do you start? There's probably about half the clubs in the league that if certain people stopped giving their time and money to keep the lights on, they would fold tomorrow. Some VERY established clubs are ticking time bombs with aging committees and a complete lack of support from punters 

Edited by Spyro

39 minutes ago, Spyro said:

What clubs in history are still at the ground they started at?

That's nice, except there's a difference between moving grounds after decades.

It's another to basically start with something temporary with no solid idea of what comes next. Look at Edinburgh South and St Cadoc's.

7 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

That's nice, except there's a difference between moving grounds after decades.

It's another to basically start with something temporary with no solid idea of what comes next. Look at Edinburgh South and St Cadoc's.

I agree with these 2, IHS had a decent plan and a vague agreement in place but councils...

Edinburgh South claimed to have had detailed plans for Inch and St Cadoc’s were meant to have plans for somewhere in Newton Mearns, but I don't know how serious they were. 

Edited by Spyro

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Jag said:

Ballast bank wasn't properly enclosed and the dressing rooms were a distance from the pitch but in those respects it was no worse than Peebles Rovers and that doesn't seem to bother anyone too much.

The Swifts' plan was to improve Ballast Bank but the Council, for the sake of a couple of days per year - Inverkeithing Highland Games and and an annual car rally - wouldn't let them do what they needed to do, so they moved. There is no doubt that dalgety Bay is a better venue for pyramid football.

Peebles are actually having to move. I believe this is their last season at the current ground as they were given a deadline by EoS but they can't do much as the current ground is basically a public park with cricket etc also played there.

They are moving to the High School or College, I believe next season from what we were told by the club on our last 2 visits.

Edited by Burgh1909

18 minutes ago, Burgh1909 said:

Peebles are actually having to move. I believe this is their last season at the current ground as they were given a deadline by EoS but they can't do much as the current ground is basically a public park with cricket etc also played there.

They are moving to the High School or College, I believe next season from what we were told by the club on our last 2 visits.

It's crazy that they haven't been able to join forces with Tweeddale ammys and develop the top part of the park (where Tweeddale play) into something usable. 

2 hours ago, Spyro said:

It's crazy that they haven't been able to join forces with Tweeddale ammys and develop the top part of the park (where Tweeddale play) into something usable. 

I was under the impression that the Council weren't being massively helpful from what someone said to us when we were there recently.

38 minutes ago, Burgh1909 said:

I was under the impression that the Council weren't being massively helpful from what someone said to us when we were there recently.

I remember 20 years ago they were looking for help with the flooding but just banging their heads off a wall. Wrong shaped ball for Borders Council I assume

4 hours ago, Burgh1909 said:

Presumably Uni of Stirling EOS will be moving too then. 

Mayswell just play games at nominated parks on a weekly basis like Glenrothes done last week.

To me that is far worse than making clubs move because changing rooms aren't suitable. 

On 18/03/2023 at 10:48, Dunfermline Jag said:

Not much better it’s a public sports centre with a 4 g park with a fence round it covered with blue sheeting so can’t see into the park on 3 sides.  

On 20/03/2023 at 16:37, Gazzah said:

Not much better it’s a public sports centre with a 4 g park with a fence round it covered with blue sheeting so can’t see into the park on 3 sides.  

Aye DB isn't much better a facility than Ballast Bank 😂 🤡  we will just let the haters hate 👍

Edited by Swifty

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, razamanaz said:

Can Syngenta please take their players and managers back - they're all useless?!

Strange comment when only 2 played yesterday. 

They've been in and out with being cup tied. Now we just have 9 games so can't have excuses. Anyone who expected instant results isn't right in the head