Stirling Uni Appreciation

Jordi1977

I know a few folks here that have seen a game or 2 of Stirling Uni and mostly been impressed. 

Today, they were the last surviving Lowland League side in the Scottish Cup... and they did the league proud.

Lost 3-0 in the end to Dundee United, but for the first 44 minutes, they battled hard and matched the Premiership team... if they could have just held on 1 minute more to go in level at the break.

2nd half, Dundee Utd played a lot better... the Students still won a majority of aerial battles, but as the match progressed and spaces appeared, they were just clearly ran out of steam for United to tick the "professional job done" box

Well done Stirling Uni. Lost today, but gave a good account of this level of the game.

Edited by Jordi1977

26 minutes ago, Jordi1977 said:

I know a few folks here that have seen a game or 2 of Stirling Uni and mostly been impressed. 

Today, they were the last surviving Lowland League side in the Scottish Cup... and they did the league proud.

Lost 3-0 in the end to Dundee United, but for the first 44 minutes, they battled hard and matched the Premiership team... if they could have just held on 1 minute more to go in level at the break.

2nd half, Dundee Utd played a lot better... the Students still won a majority of aerial battles, but as the match progressed and spaces appeared, they were just clearly ran out of steam for United to tick the "professional job done box"

Well done Stirling Uni. Lost today, but gave a good account of this level of the game.

Well said! Cracking young side for their level.

How does it work with the student sides, can they only play for the team if they are an active student at the Uni, or are they able to buy and sign like other teams? Just interested as I'd imagine the former would create a very high turnover of players over a short period of time.

1 hour ago, Pie on a Roll said:

How does it work with the student sides, can they only play for the team if they are an active student at the Uni, or are they able to buy and sign like other teams? Just interested as I'd imagine the former would create a very high turnover of players over a short period of time.

They probably have a lower turnover than the likes of Cowden. Most of the students will be there for 3 or 4 years.

5 hours ago, parsforlife said:

In the LL side they can sign whoever they want.  when they play BUCS they need to be students.  

Nearly always it is active students tho,  with the odd exception.

iirc the non-BUCS ratio for Uni teams is usually 75% active students/alumni with the other 25% being external.

Back down to earth tomorrow  for Stirling Uni, Dalbeattie away, a wee bit different from Tannadice, hopefully a bit of a hangover and Dalbeattie can take advantage. They must have a Student union with a cheap bar? Interesting if any supporters come down, can't remember them ever bringing any supporters to Dalbeattie.

Seriously, they had a great performance last week and having a great season so far. I Would seceretly like to see them win the league, since Star ain't gonna win the league this season..Mon the Star

42 minutes ago, Sermani said:

Back down to earth tomorrow  for Stirling Uni, Dalbeattie away, a wee bit different from Tannadice, hopefully a bit of a hangover and Dalbeattie can take advantage. They must have a Student union with a cheap bar? Interesting if any supporters come down, can't remember them ever bringing any supporters to Dalbeattie.

Seriously, they had a great performance last week and having a great season so far. I Would seceretly like to see them win the league, since Star ain't gonna win the league this season..Mon the Star

They might have the lady with the dogs who is Mum of one of the players, and one or two more more, but that is about it.

I do think a lot of us that follow the LL are secretly (or not so secretly) hoping they end up the league winners and get the play off chance... everyone that has seen them has been impressed and they mostly look to play good open, attacking football from a solid base.

Nice to hear the were the better side against one of... them.

On 09/02/2023 at 22:32, SystemX1 said:

Tranent supporter here,I and most Big T supporters agree that they are the best team we've played.

Imagine the gnashing of teeth and wailing from SPFL teams if Uni get promoted to League 2.

#priceless.

1 hour ago, HorseyGhirl said:

Imagine the gnashing of teeth and wailing from SPFL teams if Uni get promoted to League 2.

#priceless.

If they get promoted they get promoted. (And they'll probably deserve it.) They most likely wouldn't get past Brechin though.

And what's the difference in going to Forthbank to play them rather than the Binos?