Dumbarton vs Annan Athletic

Outcome?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Outcome?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/02/23 at 15:00

1 hour ago, squeezebox-son said:

I would need to see if again, but I thought the ball was in the air, outside the area when the ref stopped play and then was headed into the area after the stoppage began. But again, we all know how quickly play can move on so it may have been headed back in before he stopped the match.

On that note, will there be any highlights? Noticed there weren't any interviews with the manager etc after the match. 

Interviews are up now. Faz still kidding on he doesn't read or hear about what fans are saying. 

Our performance yesterday wasn't very good. And if Tommy Goss hadn't spent most of the game playing like a guy who didn't know how to control his legs then Annan could've won quite comfortably.

In saying that though, we played poorly against one of the division's in-form teams who I fancy to finish in the top four come May. Scored two fantastic goals and took three points. How many Sons teams in the last 10 years would've managed that?

Our defensive record is also absolutely incredible. And I don't think I fully appreciated how good it is. We've conceded five goals at home all season. Delete the three defeats this season and we've conceded nine goals in 19 games. That is outstanding.

Granted defensive stats don't get people excited. But if you're conceding that few goals then you're always going to have a good chance of being successful.

Last season scoring goals wasn't a major issue. But my God did we leak them at a frightening rate. Faz clearly made defensive solidity his number one aim over the summer and, criticise it all you want for how easy on the eye it is, it's so far working a treat.

On the game itself, I thought we were good for the first 15 minutes or so and really should've been further ahead. Ryan Wallace's goal was a gorgeous bit of route one. Brett Long, one bounce, back of the net. It's a simple game.

I'm delighted for Wallace. Nobody has deserved a goal more than him in recent weeks. His work ethic is absolutely outstanding, he's full of cute and clever touches and he's had fairly limited service to work with. So that goal was a reward he had earned. He should've had a second soon after from a clever short corner too.

Our press looked to work on Annan defence, who were horribly uncomfortable on the ball at times. Their front players (Goss, Smith, Wallace and especially Johnston) played some lovely football. But the defenders just did not want to play out in the way they were trying, and a one man press kept causing them to awkwardly launch the ball out of play.

Losing Div Wilson was a blow. But I thought Finlay Gray came on and played like a man with a real point to prove. There's obviously been a clamour to get him playing, but lets be honest here. He's not done a lot off the bench to warrant a start. Yesterday though he was back to his best. His tackling was tremendous (probably his one weakness earlier in the season) and his cross for the winning goal was a cracker.

Despite that though, Annan were by far the better team from about the 20th minute until about the 79th or whenever Rusty scored.

Only Tommy Goss will know why - when he was clearly offside - he goal snatched from Chris Johnston when it was going in. And the big man missed a few other really presentable chances.

The goal we lost was incredibly poor though. A long throw. Players sucked in to the ball, and Goss left totally free about eight yards out. 

After that I fully expected Annan to go on and win it. They created a number of good chances. But really failed to test Brett when it looked easier to score - let alone get a shot away. The pitch is a shambles and was causing both teams all kinds of issues, so we might even have that to thank for a few of the missed chances.

Fair play to Faz. With Annan dominant I thought he'd keep it like-for-like so we didn't get overrun and take a point. But he went for it. Bringing on McLean and MacLean and switching to two up top was a bold move that could've backfired. But, just as last week his cautious approach was punished, this week his bold move was rewarded.

I think we'd had one shot in the whole second-half, but as soon as Finlay Gray was set free down the right I felt a goal was coming. His cross was a cracker, Rusty's movement was superb. His touch was great, his finish was even better. You could see the outpouring of emotion on his face after a horrible season too. That goal meant a lot to the big man.

It leaves Faz with an interesting dilemma for next week. Is it the week he finally pressed the big red 'change of formation' button. East Fife are in good form. But I think he will. Gray has earned a start in place of the injured Wilson. Rusty has earned a start in place of the fairly ineffective Love.

Will it work? Who knows. But I liked what I saw in the time Rusty and Wallace were paired together, and I think they'll cause any side issues. It was great to see Declan Byrne back and looking fit near the end too. I expected Faz to stick Peter Grant on, but he kept two up top and - again - we were rewarded.

Stress levels aside, I enjoyed the game. It was a really physical battle between two very sturdy teams, and it could've gone either way at any stage. A few odd calls aside, I thought the ref did well and let a lot of the physicality go when someone else would've blown his whistle every few minutes.

Free-flowing pretty football? Absolutely not. But a blood and thunder League Two game on a porridge of a pitch in February is something to admire in its own, unique, way.

6 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

Our performance yesterday wasn't very good. And if Tommy Goss hadn't spent most of the game playing like a guy who didn't know how to control his legs then Annan could've won quite comfortably.

In saying that though, we played poorly against one of the division's in-form teams who I fancy to finish in the top four come May. Scored two fantastic goals and took three points. How many Sons teams in the last 10 years would've managed that?

Our defensive record is also absolutely incredible. And I don't think I fully appreciated how good it is. We've conceded five goals at home all season. Delete the three defeats this season and we've conceded nine goals in 19 games. That is outstanding.

Granted defensive stats don't get people excited. But if you're conceding that few goals then you're always going to have a good chance of being successful.

Last season scoring goals wasn't a major issue. But my God did we leak them at a frightening rate. Faz clearly made defensive solidity his number one aim over the summer and, criticise it all you want for how easy on the eye it is, it's so far working a treat.

On the game itself, I thought we were good for the first 15 minutes or so and really should've been further ahead. Ryan Wallace's goal was a gorgeous bit of route one. Brett Long, one bounce, back of the net. It's a simple game.

I'm delighted for Wallace. Nobody has deserved a goal more than him in recent weeks. His work ethic is absolutely outstanding, he's full of cute and clever touches and he's had fairly limited service to work with. So that goal was a reward he had earned. He should've had a second soon after from a clever short corner too.

Our press looked to work on Annan defence, who were horribly uncomfortable on the ball at times. Their front players (Goss, Smith, Wallace and especially Johnston) played some lovely football. But the defenders just did not want to play out in the way they were trying, and a one man press kept causing them to awkwardly launch the ball out of play.

Losing Div Wilson was a blow. But I thought Finlay Gray came on and played like a man with a real point to prove. There's obviously been a clamour to get him playing, but lets be honest here. He's not done a lot off the bench to warrant a start. Yesterday though he was back to his best. His tackling was tremendous (probably his one weakness earlier in the season) and his cross for the winning goal was a cracker.

Despite that though, Annan were by far the better team from about the 20th minute until about the 79th or whenever Rusty scored.

Only Tommy Goss will know why - when he was clearly offside - he goal snatched from Chris Johnston when it was going in. And the big man missed a few other really presentable chances.

The goal we lost was incredibly poor though. A long throw. Players sucked in to the ball, and Goss left totally free about eight yards out. 

After that I fully expected Annan to go on and win it. They created a number of good chances. But really failed to test Brett when it looked easier to score - let alone get a shot away. The pitch is a shambles and was causing both teams all kinds of issues, so we might even have that to thank for a few of the missed chances.

Fair play to Faz. With Annan dominant I thought he'd keep it like-for-like so we didn't get overrun and take a point. But he went for it. Bringing on McLean and MacLean and switching to two up top was a bold move that could've backfired. But, just as last week his cautious approach was punished, this week his bold move was rewarded.

I think we'd had one shot in the whole second-half, but as soon as Finlay Gray was set free down the right I felt a goal was coming. His cross was a cracker, Rusty's movement was superb. His touch was great, his finish was even better. You could see the outpouring of emotion on his face after a horrible season too. That goal meant a lot to the big man.

It leaves Faz with an interesting dilemma for next week. Is it the week he finally pressed the big red 'change of formation' button. East Fife are in good form. But I think he will. Gray has earned a start in place of the injured Wilson. Rusty has earned a start in place of the fairly ineffective Love.

Will it work? Who knows. But I liked what I saw in the time Rusty and Wallace were paired together, and I think they'll cause any side issues. It was great to see Declan Byrne back and looking fit near the end too. I expected Faz to stick Peter Grant on, but he kept two up top and - again - we were rewarded.

Stress levels aside, I enjoyed the game. It was a really physical battle between two very sturdy teams, and it could've gone either way at any stage. A few odd calls aside, I thought the ref did well and let a lot of the physicality go when someone else would've blown his whistle every few minutes.

Free-flowing pretty football? Absolutely not. But a blood and thunder League Two game on a porridge of a pitch in February is something to admire in its own, unique, way.

A fairly honest summary Jan, and I think if they are being honest very few Sons fans anticipated the three points when Annan equalised, but the Dumbarton substitutions across the ninety minutes definitely influenced the outcome.  I think it's also highly significant that Fin Gray had an extended period on the park yesterday, as did the McLeans to a lesser extent - any player will tell you that it's very difficult to make an impact in 10/15 minute cameos.

I'm all for retaining Gray in next week's starting line-up even if Div Wilson is fit, but I'd actually go further and include the two McLeans with Ross replacing Gregg Wylde who doesn't produce enough for me, especially when we're on the back foot.  So, Rusty up top with RW playing just off him, and a middle line of Kalvin Orsi, Fin Gray and Chucky with Blair playing his usual role in front of the defence.  A defence that as you rightly say has been magnificent this season, and they have had to have been as we cede rather too much possession and territory to the opposition.

A very welcome three points and a key takeaway that other tactical options are available.

The early goal came from nothing. It was a very nice finish from Wallace, but we struggled to push on and go for a 2nd. I thought we sat back too much and invited Annan on to us. They never really tested Brett Long, but they had plenty of possession in dangerous areas. 1-0 is great at the final whistle, but we never look entirely comfortable defending a 1 goal lead. The equaliser duly came and I thought we struggled to make much happen for large spells of the game. There was a period of play where Wallace was chasing a lost cause down near the corner at the Dumbarton East end of the ground. There wasn't another Sons player closer than 30ft to him and despite winning the ball, Wallace had nobody making an effort to get forward and help him. That sums up far too much of our play for me.

The stand side linesman had 2 howlers that could have cost us. He wasn't getting involved in the Chris Johnson hand ball and then dive. When did Johson become such a horrible wee fud? And just before our winner he missed the most obvious offside of the game. It was only a lack of composure from Annan that prevented them from taking advantage. 

Lumping the ball up to McLean when he came on didnt work. When we started playing balls to feet then he was holding them up, turning and looking to get shots away or to bring others into the game. He took his goal very well and when we actually worked out how to get the best out of him, he had a few decent touches. I'd like to see us go with Rusty up front and Wallace playing off him, but Farrell isnt that adventurous and I'm not expecting us to change things. You could argue that we shouldn't change a winning team. You could equally argue that we've relied on solid defending for much of the season and that we're only an injury, suspension or mistake away from those narrow wins becoming dropped points.

On 10/02/2023 at 12:48, Jan Vojáček said:

We're better than we were when you lot pumped us last May. But whether or not we're the best team in League Two we'll only know in a few months! I've been watching us for long enough now that I'm only just starting to accept we aren't in a relegation battle :lol:

7 points clear at the top now!  👍

Leagues more or less won now!

See yous again next season in League one!

On 11/02/2023 at 19:40, O'Kelly Isley III said:

An excellent post, good points well made.

There's a point about upcoming fixtures; Stirling have two games in hand over us but I pretty sure they are about to play on four Tuesdays in a row - added to Saturdays that's some schedule for a part-time team.

We need to keep laser focused on the next game and taking points.  But I'm wondering if any of today's yellow cards will result in a suspension next week 😏

After tomorrow's game, the rescheduled matches are on 7th and 21st March. We still have to fit in our postponed game from Saturday against Elgin, and I think the SFA ask for these matches to be played before the end of March.

Still a tough schedule, but thankfully not as brutal as 4 Tuesdays in a row.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Stirling have 2 games in hand. The league is far, far from over.

You're Very modest.

They're next 3 games I think (only had a brief skim of the fixtures)are away at Bonnyrigg, Annan and Forfar!) 3 tough games!

No way they'll get many points from that lot.

Relax man and get the Champagne open! 🍾

Sons are going up!

50 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

You're Very modest.

They're next 3 games I think (only had a brief skim of the fixtures)are away at Bonnyrigg, Annan and Forfar!) 3 tough games!

No way they'll get many points from that lot.

Relax man and get the Champagne open! 🍾

Sons are going up!

Are you a BInos fan in disguise?

Tenkay is right. We may have blown a ten point lead in four matches earlier in the season but we'll have learnt from that and it won't be repeated. I'll be surprised (and frankly, disappointed) if we don't win the title by at least 20 (twenty) points😉

52 minutes ago, microdave said:

Tenkay is right. We may have blown a ten point lead in four matches earlier in the season but we'll have learnt from that and it won't be repeated. I'll be surprised (and frankly, disappointed) if we don't win the title by at least 20 (twenty) points😉

Exactly!  You're a bit more realistic than that other lad!  Get the champagne ready Dave! 🍾