Andrew Innes - Guilty of murder

ICTChris

Andrew Innes has been found guilty of the murder of 25 year old Bennylyn Burke and of her two year old daughter Jellica in Troon Avenue, Dundee in February 2021.  Innes, a 52 year old software engineer, had claimed that he had suffered from steroid induced psychosis before carrying out the murders but this was rejected by the judge, who instructed the jury to find Innes guilty of murder.  Innes was also found guilty of raping another child and of sexually assaulting Jellica before murdering her.

The whole case is utterly, utterly horrific and perhaps shines a light into a world that most of us don't think about or even know exists.  Innes met Burke on a dating website called Filipino Cupid and appeared to quickly move her and her two children into his house in Dundee.  Within a couple of days the murders had taken place.  Innes claimed he'd gone temporarily insane due taking prescribed steroids for his Crohn's disease and murdered Bennylyn in a rage. 

The justifications or reasons that Innes gave for the killings are remarkable - he claimed that Bennylyn had reminded him of women who had wronged him.  He said his ex-wife had deliberately antagonised him by dyeing and cutting her hair.  He said that a woman had left him by text, after he had begun an affair with her while married after meeting her at a bondage club.  Just utter and complete self-obsession, narcissism and violence.

I don't even have my usual list of questions about it - the guy apparently seemed like a total normal individual to outsiders but lived a life of utter depravity which spilled into violence.  How many other people that seem normal to us are really walking around harbouring this sort of personality?

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

How many other people that seem normal to us are really walking around harbouring this sort of personality?

The problem is that it doesn't usually come to light that someone is harbouring this sort of personality until it is too late, and they have already done something like this. 

One of the other things that this case raises is the issue of exploitation of women who move to this country from abroad.  Bennylyn had moved to the UK to marry her first husband, Jellica's father, who was 38 years older than her.  She lived with him in Bristol for around a year before leaving him and moving into emergency accomodation.  It's alleged that he assaulted her.  Those close to her say that she was very concerned about money and the ability to find work and survive with her children at this point.

I don't think anyone really knows why Bennylyn travelled from Bristol to Dundee with Innes, I think it's alleged that he offered her work.  It's also alleged that Innes wrote a 'scraper' to match him with South Asia women with young children on dating websites.  All women who matched his profile (mid to late 20s with young children) were then loaded onto a spreadsheet and rated.

Just now, Lex said:

What an absolute scum bag. Should die in prison. 

As part of his pretence of being mentally unbalanced he allegedly attempted to castrate himself in prison on remand but called for help and had it saved.  Maybe next time the wardens take their time in answering his call?

I don't mean to sound overly right-wing, but sometimes I read about crimes such as this one and wonder if it is really such a good and progressive thing that we abolished the death penalty and let the individuals who committed such crimes continue to enjoy breathing.

We destroy dogs for far less.

13 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I don't mean to sound overly right-wing, but sometimes I read about crimes such as this one and wonder if it is really such a good and progressive thing that we abolished the death penalty and let the individuals who committed such crimes continue to enjoy breathing.

I know what you are saying but I doubt anyone who commits a crime like this even considers being caught or would be deterred by the death penalty.  Therefore it would only be an act of revenge.

He is not going to have a nice time in prison.  I suspect he will be isolated and have a lot of time to reflect on what he has done.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I don't even have my usual list of questions about it - the guy apparently seemed like a total normal individual to outsiders but lived a life of utter depravity which spilled into violence.  How many other people that seem normal to us are really walking around harbouring this sort of personality?

Ted Bundy seems to be just a regular guy to a lot of people, he dressed well, combed his hair and he was even a church elder.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

I know what you are saying but I doubt anyone who commits a crime like this even considers being caught or would be deterred by the death penalty.  Therefore it would only be an act of revenge.

He is not going to have a nice time in prison.  I suspect he will be isolated and have a lot of time to reflect on what he has done.

I am not for one minute seriously advocating for the death penalty. I just sometimes am so disgusted by crimes that I wonder if it would be such a bad thing if people like this were to be executed.

You're right though.

The guy who runs my local lodged with him for a while in that house. Said he appeared just like your average IT guy, quiet and reserved, didn’t see him much. Only moved out when lockdown began. It’s difficult not to wish terrible things to happen to this piece of shit in jail. How that wee poor wee girl comes back from this I don’t know. 

Edited by Gibby82

The trial saw some of the most harrowing and disgusting evidence ever heard in a Scottish court.

One of the pieces of evidence was that the seven year old girl who In es was found to have repeatedly raped was infected with chlamydia, which Innes was found to have.

The seven year old victim also said that Innes gave her money after he abused her, she was found with £2.10 in a purse she had. She said of the two murder victims “I should have saved them”.
[\spoiler]

1 hour ago, Richey Edwards said:

Unfortunately, it is…look at the number of people convicted and sentenced to death that are later cleared in the U.S…the police and prosecutors are entirely too willing to do things to get convictions, everywhere.