The Lockdown Years

8 hours ago, Satoshi said:

I remembered seeing a poll that said something like 20% of people were in favour of permanent restrictions which is absolutely wild.

By all means live your life how you want, but the pandemic did expose an undercurrent who welcome and thrive on extreme government control of themselves and others.

I hope that, if I am lucky enough to live to be old and don't want to go out as much, I sure as hell don't try to stop others from doing so.

The American liberals are still completely unhinged over masks in a way that UK society moved quickly away from as soon as government compulsion was binned. 

33 minutes ago, virginton said:

The American liberals are still completely unhinged over masks in a way that UK society moved quickly away from as soon as government compulsion was binned. 

I often wondered if we'd have had a labour government at the time (same with the USA and the democrats), but one who took the exact same approach as what the torries did in our timeline, would the right wing have been absolutely frothing about " wishy washy liberals putting so called freedoms ahead of safety? and calling for " a proper lockdown" with a warden and a curfew - like during the blitz was an all.

I'm glad we haven't adopted the mass politicization of masks in the UK. it's very old firm esqu in the states

3 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

I often wondered if we'd have had a labour government at the time (same with the USA and the democrats), but one who took the exact same approach as what the torries did in our timeline, would the right wing have been absolutely frothing about " wishy washy liberals putting so called freedoms ahead of safety? and calling for " a proper lockdown" with a warden and a curfew - like during the blitz was an all.

I'm glad we haven't adopted the mass politicization of masks in the UK. it's very old firm esqu in the states

The big 'what if' is what would've happened if Trump had been President right through the full course of things - the US has seen far, far more vaccine hesitancy than comparable countries and a lot of it has come due to political affiliation.  Trump was (and is) very pro-vaccine, mainly as he could take some credit for it.  If he'd been pushing it then I think a lot more Americans would have taken the vaccine and subsequently fewer would have died.

In the UK, I think that Tory voters had a higher vaccine take up rate than Labour voters, due to the Tory vote having a much higher level of pensioners.

26 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The big 'what if' is what would've happened if Trump had been President right through the full course of things - the US has seen far, far more vaccine hesitancy than comparable countries and a lot of it has come due to political affiliation.  Trump was (and is) very pro-vaccine, mainly as he could take some credit for it.  If he'd been pushing it then I think a lot more Americans would have taken the vaccine and subsequently fewer would have died.

In the UK, I think that Tory voters had a higher vaccine take up rate than Labour voters, due to the Tory vote having a much higher level of pensioners.

That reminds me of another lockdown habit I developed. Watching Seth Myers broadcast on Youtube from his attic, basically taking potshots at Trump every night. Mind all the injecting bleach pish he came out with at one stage, fucking lunatic.

39 minutes ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Nicola banning us all from going to Manchester.

Andy Burnham telling her to go and take a f**k to herself as he was banning nobody from visiting his city

I vaguely remember that but why were people going to Manchester? Around Christmas 2021?

1 hour ago, Wile E Coyote said:

Nicola banning us all from going to Manchester.

Andy Burnham telling her to go and take a f**k to herself as he was banning nobody from visiting his city

Went to Liverpool a few weeks after that was announced and not one restaurant/bar was asking people to wear masks or use the NHS app to check into places.